Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: *If* the Season is a Write Off - What Should the Force Do Now?

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Call Habana and make an offer

http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=25408

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
    There seem to be a hell of a lot of patronising, sanctimonious, holier than thou comments on this site, as though if you haven't played first grade rugby or are not intimately involved in grassroots rugby, you can't bloody well know what you are talking about, and have no right, even if you are a diehard fan, to comment on how you think the team is going or what you think can improve our lot.

C'mon WRF, Pieter et al - we're all in this together and all want the best for the Force. Sure it will take time, but can't we have a friendly natter about it in the meantime??
    I agree with you. I just took offence to some of the comments about Tyrrell. To come from local rugby and make it to one super 14 game is an achievement in itself. He'll come good, he's a WA boy it goes without saying. One day and it'll come the Force will be 90% locally made (and winning).

vCash
    Tyrrell had an ordinary game I would wager that he would be one of the first to put his hand up and admit that. It was his first game and we can either lump shit on him or persevere with him

If the season is a write off would we not perseve with one eye (possibly two) on the future? We might cop some hidings but the future looks bright

Which also begs the question why keep David Hill? He is only signed for this season is he not? If Pretorius is still hanging around in some form of advice/coaching role?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Which also begs the question why keep David Hill? He is only signed for this season is he not? If Pretorius is still hanging around in some form of advice/coaching role?
    Probably because you need somebody for the young blokes to follow on the field. Sure Hill was inconspicuous, but that means he didn't do spectacularly bad........and we sure need some help in the general kicking department, before Hilly, Rabbit was the only decent boot we had!

C'mon the

vCash
    I have nothing against him clearly we did not win enough of the ball for him to do anything with it he showed some signs that he may be alright. But if the season is gone and he will not be here next season will more game time would be given to younger players who will be here next season? Even if Hill starts then shuffle the team with subsitutes or move players into positions eg JO'C from 15 to 10/12 etc

Player
    vCash
    First of all find someone who can throw the ball in striaght. Always helps. Tyrell was on debut but really struggled. Probably not quite there yet though while saying that considering the season is all but a extended training run now keep him but bring in someone with the necessary nouse to get him on the right track (Brendan Cannon). Plus in the off season get him on the track, lose the gut and gain some speed. He will be competing against the likes of TPN, Moore, Faingaa, FitzPatrick and even Frier all very fit and mobile Hookers.

Second, move JOC into 10. When he took over on Sunday the backline looked far more cohesive and threatening. Cooper is where he is today via a similar method. JOC has it in him to be as influential to the Force as Cooper is to the Reds.

Third, run the lazy out of the forward pack. I know you may be thinking 'what the hell' on this one but it is there. They are having serious mobility issues this season. Its most obvious in defence. Look at all the teams from 7 up. Very mobile and hard working packs ( yes, that includes the Tahs). The Force have a lot of quality in the forwards but currently only a few are really working as hard as the should be. I'm sorry but Sharpe is too lumbering and really needs to be shown so.

Four, blood youngster and new comer's. More specifically guys like Luke Jones and Mitch Inman. Again Cross has lost alot this season while Inman has a lot of potential, is a big unit and relative toey. Luke Jones would be near ready with a good off season. If there are any other's give them a run. A must though , let the public know this is happening.

Part with Mitchell. Chase Chieka hard.

Four,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I say *if* - I [personally] don't think it's a write off yet, and I doubt a season can really be entirely written off until the last game is played...

Anyway, *IF* it is a write off - where to from here?

• Bench everyone over 28 and give the young guys a go?
    • Throw some WA lads into the deepend and give them 8 weeks to learn how to swim?
    • Persist with current line up and trust it will click
    • Change the whole game plan?
    • Wing it week to week?
    why not have a TWF competition - the weekly winner gets to coach for the upcoming game. Would wager that the TWF record will be better than Mitchell's this season!

vCash
    Everyone is writing off Tyrell as a bad thrower, yes his throws were bad, but the calls did him no favours. Continually going to the back when he missed about three in a row. Sharpe seeing as he apparently is an experienced lineout caller should have taken some responsibilty and gone up and two and won some clean ball.

As for JOC at 10, he was pretty ordinary against The Chiefs

GRAB YOUR MATE!

vCash
    I don't have too many stats to back up this comment, but most teams who go on to play in S14 finals usually use the least number of players from their total squad throughout the season.

At this same point in our inaugural season of 2006, we had used 26 players in the first four games. This year in four games, we have used 31 players. Of the matchday squads across the first 4 games, 14 players have been named in every squad.

We have made the following changes to the squad:
    Week 1 to 2 - 4 changes
    Week 2 to 3 - 3 changes
    Week 3 to 5 - 2 changes

When there are that many changes to the squad from week to week, its no wonder that the combinations are struggling, especially in the backs.

We should still continue to put our best side out on the park, because a change in luck might not be far around the corner.

Last edited by oxleymoron; 16-03-10 at 19:42.

Prospect
    vCash
    We need to support our team who are the best we have at the moment.I am sure they are giving 100% ,our first win is sooooo close.Confidence in themselves is the key,Go the Force......

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I have no problem with "experimenting" and "blooding" but you can't do it all in one match. We saw the result of that in the first three matches.
    We need a sound proven player such as Hill at pivot to allow the rest of the backline to have confidence in the ball they are getting.
    In every match, even last week, there were patches of very good play by the Force, at least in attack.
    I believe a platform of 10. Hill and 12. Staniforth would allow the rest of the backline to be dabbled with.
    However, the most critical issue it to get some players, especially DHP and JO'C, making serious attempts at completing a tackle.
    There are serious flaws in their reading of the opposition attack, their body position (vertically and horizontally) and trusting their team mates.
    I single those two out but over the four matches virtually every player has been guilty of all of those things.
    I don't believe the Force are that far off.
    This is a hugely difficult competition to play in and if you are 5% off the pace of the other team you are going to lose.
    With a couple of players back, some serious review of defensive patterns and skills and a bit of the heart that has been shown in patches, then we will be back.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Focus on the basics and build from there...

vCash
    try to get some feeling back into the team.

after years of playing afl i was dragged off to play rugby at age 27 by a blind, fat man who had trouble holding a fork let alone catching a ball. the first thing that appealed to me about the game was that all you needed was a bit of heart to play it.. i've played rugby with blokes who'd never make it on to a soccer or afl field in a meaningful way in a fit!! but could they contribute to a rugby team? they sure did.

jeremy paul has made some comments about how the injury list is irrelevant if players don't want to get there and make tackles. painful as it is, he's right.

get the heart back in the whole team, not just the few as it is now. i've seen 1st hand the effort mr wykes and mr sharp make when they dripped on us over casual conversation. get that from everyone first. then worry about lineup changes.

@workingclass. you're a hard bloke.. but i think you make some points worth considering.

Last edited by antiussentiment; 18-03-10 at 09:22. Reason: re-reading other posts..
    cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I don't know how well Jeremy Paul's argument holds up. DHP was probably the prime offender (tackles wise) last week and he has as much reason for anyone to want to play i.e. he's not here for the money and he doesn't appear to be wanting to go anywhere else. I think confidence and technique in some cases is lacking most of all.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2