Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Where are they going wrong

Apprentice
    vCash
    i cant deny that we played like crap and Im not sure what the go is. But the fact is the reds were playing so interesting tactics tonight. A lot of hit us hard where it hurts especially a bit of dangerous play. I do have to laugh at james and quade for showing a bit of funny friendly fire on the field.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jazza93 View Post
    Yea lets get rid of John Mitchell, then we can search for the next 6 months and probably end up with an even worse coach. That would be great for the team.

Seriously, people who want to get rid of the coach don't know what they are talking about.
    So we should hang onto a coach just for the sake of hanging onto a coach? How exactly is that any better?

Kafer wanted to coach the force and always hints on the tele that he wants to get back into it, there are SA coaches who can't get a gig in the republic because they aren't black enough. Hell there is even Johnson who is doing a good job at Ospreys and wants to come back to Australia.

It's not as though there is a lack of talent and we HAVE to stay with Mitchell because the next bloke in line would be Hart.

vCash
    Yea lets get rid of John Mitchell, then we can search for the next 6 months and probably end up with an even worse coach. That would be great for the team.
    Or find a coach twice as good.

Seriously, people who want to get rid of the coach don't know what they are talking about.
    While I respect your opinion this is hardly a convincing argument. Let's play the ball and not the man.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    We spent all our money on the forwards this year, and when Browne and Pocock arn't there it makes a massive difference. Once we get guys like them back it will look a lot better for the force.
    Line-outs and the backrow. Thats where it is. As good as Hodgson is, Pocock is irreplaceable. He would have been a menace and if it were Pocock and Hodgson rather than Hodgson and Stanford we'd have hampered their attack a lot more. I like the potential of McCalman but at the moment he's a poor man's Richard Brown. You have guys getting into the breakdowns and mucking things up and you'll slow them down and make them easier to defend against. As for the line-outs- how many did we actually win? 3? You can't beat anyone if they have a free source of possession. We'd probably have still lost even with a functional line-out but a lot of pressure would've been taken off us and put on them if it was working and the scoreline would've been a lot closer.

I promised I'd never again criticise referees but that guy did let through a lot of forward passes from the Reds. I suppose its our own fault really- they are pretty hard to see when the backs are moving that quickly.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I never said we should just hang on to a bad coach. I ment we should not be getting rid of a good coach because we will just end up with someone worse. If you think that we should get rid of him and just hope for a better coach i don't see why anyone would agree.

And we don't have any coaches lined up to take over. Kafe is not an ideal option (especially if he brings his chalkboard over), and he is no where near as good as Mitchell. Also there are good coaches all over the world off contract but none of them want to coach us.

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    I remember John Mitchell saying that he didn't want the Force to become a home for players nearing the end of their career when he first started as coach. Saddly we seem to have become just that at the moment.
    The planning for replacements of positions has been woeful. We knew we would need a new hooker how long ago? Must of suspected that Giteau and Mitchell could depart after Firepower money disappeared, but again there was no forward planning.
    Our basic skills don't appear to be up to professional standards. I'm not sure if it is time to sack the coach and I'm happy to leave it in the hands of others. But there certainly are question marks over his performance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jombi View Post
    I say that based on how he coached the allblacks, and I really can't see how it would change from 'my way' to a group of suits telling him what to do.

He just turned into a bit of a dud.

So why is Cowan throwing into lineouts now? Again as someone who followed the allblacks and what Mitchell/Deans did to Cullen/Randell they should know by now that utility players just don't stand up, and all he is succeeding in doing is killing the blokes career and confidence.

It's happened before because of Mitchell.

Well the first was because of Gitaeu and his princess syndrome, secont was on the piss and I think Brown got off lightly, and you've forgotten the horribly violent indident when Henjak threw an ice cube at Tiqiri and got sent home from South Afrikaa by the ARU!

I can understand that you love the bloke but that has to end one day.

I absolutely loathe him for what he did to Randell & Cullen, 2 of my child hood heroes, and now we're seeing the samething happen to Cowan.

I gave him the benefit of doubt for 4 and a half years, his time is up.
    Well I'm a bit (!) of a Drew Mitchell fan, but I accept he wasn't at his finest in his last year at the force.

Cowan hooking actually originated from Deans, and I was a little shellshocked when I saw Mitch was fitting in with the theme. But I thought he was maybe weaning the young guys to start on the bench and progressively get more time on the field. Like Tyrell starting today.

Exactly. Mitchell hasn't exactly been in an environment for perfect coaching conditions and I think he's done a marvellous job.

I don't love John Mitchell. I have a huge level of respect for the man, because he's done such amazing stuff in WA for rugby.

I never said we should just hang on to a bad coach. I ment we should not be getting rid of a good coach because we will just end up with someone worse. If you think that we should get rid of him and just hope for a better coach i don't see why anyone would agree.

And we don't have any coaches lined up to take over. Kafe is not an ideal option (especially if he brings his chalkboard over), and he is no where near as good as Mitchell. Also there are good coaches all over the world off contract but none of them want to coach us.
    I'm with Jazza. Why would we get rid a new Coach when we have a perfectly good coach right here.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    I ment we should not be getting rid of a good coach because we will just end up with someone worse. ....no where near as good as Mitchell.
    What exactly is that based on?

What has John Mitchell achieved? We lost the 03 RWC semi to Australia purely because of his & Deans poor coaching. He moved players out of position and had no backup plan when the wallabies countered the main gameplan.

Now what's happening? We have Cowan playing out of position, and no backup plan when a team outplays us on what was set.

John Mitchell is like a Prius, on paper it's brilliant, you're saving the world and you should be proud of it. Then you're going down the highway at 500mph and drive off a cliff!

We didn't make the finals in the first 4 years, and it looks like we won't this year either unless it dramitically turns around, and since our last 3 games are in the republic that is looking extremely tough.

vCash
    Lack of cattle and even worse lack of self belief.

Young talent is good and we've got some but they should be coming on in the 65th minute when the game is sealed. Injuries have forced us to start these players.

We've got the some of the best loose forwards in the country. Our front row and locks are sound, they just need more confidence when going forward.

A prop as a hooker and I take my hat off to Tyrrell as well but he needs to be apprenticed by a Mealamu or similar and put Pek back into position.

I hope Sheps can return soon because he is a deadset fantastic fullback and we are really suffering in this position. 15 needs to be the most skillful player on the park, hands down DHP isn't it.

We had the 10 spot worked out but who saw that coming and JOC should be our 10 now. He's too small at 12. A good 10 doesn't need to get his clothes dirty.

12 and 13 is an issue, no big ball runners to scare the crap out of defensive lines. (Two big polynesian players needed here, apply at Rugby WA)

Our wingers are a joke but who needs wingers anyway. Give them a mirror and a comb and they can stand out on the edge of the field doing what they do best.

Until we can get the cattle and self belief it isn't going to happen for us.

I'm still wearing my Force gear in public.

vCash
    Your not going to convince anyone John Mitchell is a bad coach, tbf he has done fine and had a hard run with injuries. When he got the dream team last season we only just missed out but the whole competition pretty much peaked that year. While he is not the best coach in the comp, what my comments have said is we will end up like the Reds with Mooney if we throw him out. And really thats all i am saying but people keep posting with un related replies...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    Cowan hooking actually originated from Deans, and I was a little shellshocked when I saw Mitch was fitting in with the theme. But I thought he was maybe weaning the young guys to start on the bench and progressively get more time on the field. Like Tyrell starting today.
    You shouldn't be shocked though! There were massive rumours around in 03 & 04 that Deans was actually pulling the strings behind Mitchell and trying to manipulate it as head coach, he's one of the main reasons Mehrtens wasn't even considered as backup to Spencer around that time.

Exactly. Mitchell hasn't exactly been in an environment for perfect coaching conditions and I think he's done a marvellous job.
    It's his own doing though, he was renowned in NZ for not being able to connect with the players.

I don't love John Mitchell. I have a huge level of respect for the man, because he's done such amazing stuff in WA for rugby.
    I can give him respect for that, but surely you can admit that 4 or 5 years is way too long. So we've got injury problems this year, what about 08 & 09? We could have massive injury problems again next year, and what then?

I'm with Jazza. Why would we get rid a new Coach when we have a perfectly good coach right here.
    Because he needs to be treated the same as anyone else. Look at McKenzie, made the finals and still got the boot! That bloke with the hair (can't remember his name at the mo') got the boot from the ponies, and he probably did more on the field for them than Mitchell has for us.

If we MUST keep Mitchell, we should get Eddie Jones or someone as an assistant coach, to just go mental over the stats and let Mitchell filter it, much like White did.

Your not going to convince anyone John Mitchell is a bad coach
    Give me a second jazza, I just need to get New Zealand on the line.

we will end up like the Reds with Mooney if we throw him out. And really thats all i am saying but people keep posting with un related replies...
    Completely different circumstances there mate, I doubt Hardy is going to insert himself as coach for 3 years and completely ruin the club.

We have an excellent platform for a new coach and his forward thinking.

Last edited by jombi; 14-03-10 at 21:35. Reason: multiple quotes

Player
    vCash
    Hmm... What to say? First of all start JOC at 10. He is currently the only class player in the Force backline. I know that may be a bit harsh but when he moved into that position they actually looked like they might do something. a major weakness so far this season has been the utter lack of penetration in attack. JOC at 10 would go a long way to rectifying this. The forwards have potential but just play dumb, clumsy Rugby. I'm no Sharpe fan and that hasn't changed. Look at the best teams they all have big but very mobile packs. The Bulls are incredible all their forwards can run. The Force apart from some are slow. Truth sucks doesn't it.

Cannot wait for the return of Pocock hopefully that will help. The potential is there but they need to get the combinations right. I honestly believe they are not the worse team in this comp. But if they continue as is next weekend may not be pretty.

vCash
    Completely different circumstances there mate, I doubt Hardy is going to insert himself as coach for 3 years and completely ruin the club.

We have an excellent platform for a new coach and his forward thinking.
    That was just an example of what happens when you muck around with coaches. I don't think we will end up like the Reds.

We could mine your quotes all day and do what your doing. But seriously i cbf anymore. If Mitchell is as bad as everyone is saying then go down to training and tell him....He would probably outsmart anyone who does in about 4 seconds...

Night .

vCash
    You shouldn't be shocked though! There were massive rumours around in 03 & 04 that Deans was actually pulling the strings behind Mitchell and trying to manipulate it as head coach, he's one of the main reasons Mehrtens wasn't even considered as backup to Spencer around that time.
    Well when I think about it Mitch was making the most of what the Wallabies gave him. Deans trained Pek in hooker for the whole spring tour and when the team couldn't get a contract with another hooker why wouldn't Mitch capitalise on a player's training under and equally capable coach? But true, he wasn't up to it and now he's letting some other guys have a turn.

It's his own doing though, he was renowned in NZ for not being able to connect with the players.
    I rate leaving what happened in NZ regarding Mitch in NZ. I wasn't around to know about it all, or I wasn't observing any of it.

I can give him respect for that, but surely you can admit that 4 or 5 years is way too long. So we've got injury problems this year, what about 08 & 09? We could have massive injury problems again next year, and what then?
    Anyone coaching the force with such huge injury problems is going to struggle. And if we get hammered with injuries next year, so be it. Everyone will suffer when they loose four key international players.

Because he needs to be treated the same as anyone else. Look at McKenzie, made the finals and still got the boot! That bloke with the hair (can't remember his name at the mo') got the boot from the ponies, and he probably did more on the field for them than Mitchell has for us.

If we MUST keep Mitchell, we should get Eddie Jones or someone as an assistant coach, to just go mental over the stats and let Mitchell filter it, much like White did.
    Oh dear Lord. I don't think I could handle Eddie Jones. I actually just gagged at the screen. I do not have many happy rugby memories involving him. But McKenzie started to MAKE the finals because he threw all the composure out the window because he knew he was getting the boot. Actually.

It'll take a lot more than that to sell me the idea of Mitch being bad. Sorry

Last edited by robyn <3; 14-03-10 at 21:41. Reason: quote was all hating on me!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "I absolutely loathe him for what he did to Randell & Cullen"
    Didn't think you needed to spell that out Jombi, it seems to be fairly self evident in any post you have done on the matter and seems to take away your objectivity shown on most other topics.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast