Thread: Another one bites the dust at the Force

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

Unhappy Another one bites the dust at the Force

March 11, 2010 - 5:06PM

Mark Bartholomeusz's injury-interrupted Super 14 season has continued with the Western Force utility back almost certain to miss Sunday's clash with the Reds in Queensland.

Bartholomeusz suffered a neck injury on the eve of the season but returned for the Force's loss to the Chiefs in round three.

But the 32-year-old, who notched 68 caps for the Brumbies before spending five seasons in Europe, pulled up sore from that game and failed to train today.

However, the likely loss of Bartholomeusz will be offset by the inclusion of former All Black David Hill, who was lured to the Force as a replacement for injured five-eighth Andre Pretorius.

Hill will slot into the No.10 jersey against the Reds, freeing up James O'Connor to play at either fullback or inside centre after the 19-year-old was thrust into the key playmaker's role against the Chiefs.

Scrumhalf Brett Sheehan and flanker Matt Hodgson were others to pull up sore from the loss to the Chiefs but both returned to full training on Thursday and are almost certain starters against the Reds.

Queensland pair Digby Ioane (knee) and Peter Hynes (finger) are expected to return to a Reds line-up buoyed by last week's 23-18 come-from-behind win over the Chiefs in Hamilton.

The victory lifted Queensland to seventh on the table, while the Force remain dead last with not a single point to show from three games, two of which have been at home.

"There are a few teams that will be suited to the new interpretations and I think certainly the Queensland Reds have adapted really well to them," Force captain Nathan Sharpe said.

"It suits the style of game they play. They've been doing a good job of playing attractive rugby."

Sharpe said Hill, who came off the bench against Ireland in 2006 to notch his only Test cap, had slotted in well to the Force's set-up.

"It's hard to understand him, he's got the thick accent but he's going really well," Sharpe said.

"He got here the day before the Chiefs game so the guys have had plenty of time to get to know him.

"You can see the professionalism which he goes about his job.

"He's slotted straight into the team and understands the way we want to go about playing the game.

"I played against him quite a bit in the Super 12 before he went overseas.

"He's a big, solid guy and very good in defence.

"He likes to take the ball to the line. He's got a very good kicking game as well."

Sharpe said the team was desperate to notch their first win of the season after losses to the Brumbies, Hurricanes and Chiefs.

"No one wants to be 0-3 ... so it's a very important game for us," he said.

"But aside from where we are on the points table it's about us getting results for the hard work we've put in."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Oh
    My
    Gosh

Elf I hope you packed your rugby boots!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    There are worse players to lose. I'd move JOC to 15, Spanner to 12 and have DHP or Sare move in to 14.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion
    vCash
    pension him off now!!!

vCash
    Sare or DHP will have to come in......although I would normally call this a significant drop in our team I don't think it'll matter....if the ball gets to the Reds #13 more than once, we're toast no matter which of them it is!

If we can pressure Cooper enough he might go back to the brain farting young fella of a couple of years ago.

If they get quick ball wide I predict another belting!

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Yet another geriatric prone to injuries who can't take the intensity if Super 14 training.

Champion
    vCash

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
    Yet another geriatric prone to injuries who can't take the intensity if Super 14 training.
    spot on why do they try and get these 30 odd yo blokes, experiance what most of them havent played super 14 rugby for years if at all, its the hardest rugby comp. in the world......the game is frantic and the backs have to be forwards and vice the versa...... this is why the kiwis give Ritchie and co a few weeks off....... Next year cull these guys and look at the Shute shield for blokes that want to play quick rugby and hack the pace. I am afraid Hill wont solve our problems he just wont be use to the intensity of Cooper/Carter/Steyn and their brillance Give him two weeks and he will be sidelined

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    Oh
    My
    Gosh

Elf I hope you packed your rugby boots!
    Yep and Gunny bought his as well

vCash
    There will be a photo posted at some stage of the reserve reserves bench.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oxleymoron View Post
    There will be a photo posted at some stage of the reserve reserves bench.

Good to see you got home in one piece Ox.