Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why Hill is crucial to O'Connor development

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Why Hill is crucial to O'Connor development

Why Hill is crucial to O'Connor development

NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian March 6, 2010, 5:43 am

WA News / Bill Hatto © Enlarge photo

When Wallabies playmaker Matt Giteau left the Western Force the club had to find another world-class fly-half in a hurry if they wanted to keep James O'Connor.
    The teenager wanted, and needed, an experienced playmaker to learn from and play off in the back line.
    The Force found Andre Pretorius but when disaster struck and the former Springbok was ruled out for the season, O'Connor was forced to take on the huge responsibility that comes with the No.10 jumper.
    Now, the arrival of no-nonsense former All Blacks and Chiefs pivot David Hill with a decade of experience behind him will allow O'Connor to use his talent as a ball runner and mover without having to shoulder that responsibility.
    Force coach John Mitchell will want both Hill and O'Connor to break the line but will be looking at them as dual playmakers, opening up the expansive game that has become the pattern under this year's revamped Super 14 laws.
    Mitchell said 19-year-old O'Connor had done exceptionally well when he played in the dual role of full-back and pivot against the Hurricanes and No.10 against the Chiefs, but added: "He's youthful and it's 10 seasons versus two games. It's huge. That's what you're dealing with."
    Mitchell coached Hill, 31, at both Waikato and the All Blacks. He said the pivot, who has a one season contract from Japanese club Toshiba, would give the side direction.
    "He's the type of bloke who drives and directs the team well, he doesn’t suffer fools," Mitchell said.
    "He knows what he's doing, he knows what he wants. There's no bullshit with him.
    "He knows what we want to get out of him, how we want to refine our game and what we want from No.10.
    "To have an experienced footballer to direct the ship in both attack and out of the back 50 (metres) is going to give the side a lot of confidence and a lot of direction.
    "It's pretty challenging coming into this situation, but he’s very experienced. It's good to have his experience within the group."
    Hill faces the challenge of learning Force plays before tomorrow week’s clash against the Reds.
    "I guess it's a blessing for us to be in bye week, where we've got five sessions, before we go in against the Reds," Mitchell said.
    Hill, who last played Super rugby in 2006, said the game had moved a long way in four years.
    "The pace is obviously going to be a big step up, so there's that to deal with," he said.
    "The new interpretations have certainly shown the way it's going to go and it will be interesting to see how the game is going to unfold."
    Hill trained in a white vest yesterday — warning players not to hit him too hard. They can't afford to lose another fly-half.
    Meanwhile, Mitchell acknowledged that the Force were interested in former National Rugby League star Mark Gasnier.
    It was revealed by The West Australian yesterday that the club is keen to sign the Test and State of Origin centre, who is playing in France.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...r-development/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Nick is sure getting some mileage from those John Mitchell quotes. Great to see Force items in the back pages on a daily basis. Even if it's the same stuff rehashed from slightly different perspectives, it will plant some seeds of awareness in the heathen masses.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    O'Connor has played more test matches at the tender age of 19 than the washed up NZ hack who has been playing under 15's in Japan

Hill is a journeyman who has come for some more easy cash

JOC is on the fast track to greatness, and doesn't need a washed up kiwi bogan whoneverwas to show him some running lines

That'll dead set do me

If you're good enough, you're old enough

Now in my moleskin trousers and my Williams boots
    Aboard an outlaw as he leaves the chutes
    In my goose neck spurs I rake their fiery hide
    And the girls all shouting around the ringside
    Oh he's the Fulla from Cunnamulla
    Yeah he's the Cunnamulla Fulla

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CunnamullaFulla View Post
    O'Connor has played more test matches at the tender age of 19 than the washed up NZ hack who has been playing under 15's in Japan

JOC is on the fast track to greatness, and doesn't need a washed up kiwi bogan whoneverwas to show him some running lines

That'll dead set do me

If you're good enough, you're old enough
    you have sauces?

vCash
    That'll dead set do me
    Turn it up! You gotta quit stealing lines from Les, Rex.

Quote Originally Posted by WARHORSE View Post
    This from a Berry supporter quoting the bible
    That'll dead set do me

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Good find, now ban him.

vCash

*facepalm*

vCash
    Now I'm a scrubber, runner and a breaker too
    I live on damper and wallaby stew
    I've got a big cattle dog with a staghound cross
    I never saw the scrubber we couldn't toss
    'Cause I'm the Feller from Cunnamulla
    Yes I'm the Cunnamulla Feller

What a great song. My Screaming Jets version is in the mail as we speak.

vCash
    David "over the" Hill crucial to JOC's development please....

I agree with the horse Dr, the guy is a Rugby journeyman, my vibe is that he is another costly mistake for the men in blue. I realise I will be attacked for saying this (disloyalty to the team and all that) but cmon, the guy can't even get a run in NZ.

Who is next, Carlos "gimme the cash" Spencer? Or why don't we just talk to Tony Brown?

This is just getting silly.

Hasta la vista Pam

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronski Beat View Post
    David "over the" Hill crucial to JOC's development please....

I agree with the horse Dr, the guy is a Rugby journeyman, my vibe is that he is another costly mistake for the men in blue. I realise I will be attacked for saying this (disloyalty to the team and all that) but cmon, the guy can't even get a run in NZ.

Who is next, Carlos "gimme the cash" Spencer? Or why don't we just talk to Tony Brown?

This is just getting silly.
    What is your vibe based on though?

It seems that the majority of people who have a negative 'vibe' on Hill actually know nothing about the bloke or his career.

Do I really need to go into why McAlister was chosen over Hill by Henry again?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jombi View Post
    What is your vibe based on though?

It seems that the majority of people who have a negative 'vibe' on Hill actually know nothing about the bloke or his career.

Do I really need to go into why McAlister was chosen over Hill by Henry again?
    Its a vibe..............

Probably based on the club employing another 30 something journeyman on short term contract.

We are not talking about McAlister here!

If I am wrong, I will stand corrected, I am pretty sure I am right though.

Hasta la vista Pam

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronski Beat View Post
    Its a vibe..............

Probably based on the club employing another 30 something journeyman on short term contract.

We are not talking about McAlister here!

If I am wrong, I will stand corrected, I am pretty sure I am right though.
    Mate if you looked up 'Wrong' in the dictionary your picture would be there along with the lyrics to Small Town Boy!

You're considering him a 'journeyman' because of McAlister. Henry picked McAlister over Hill because he saw potential in him, not based on form. Henry made the same retarded mistake that he always does in choose utility players and wanted him for the entire backline (like when he played outside in Melbourne and Mortlock carved him up).

He WAS good enough to be an allblack, albeit on the bench for Carter but as I said Henry doesn't pick on form.

He left NZ early because of this much like T. Waldrom is now at 26. It's not because they're out of form or 5 billion years old and being rolled out onto the pitch in a wheelchair, it's because they had no chance at making the allblacks due to selection policy rather than form.

He was last years player of the year in Japan, the dominant flyhalf in 05/06 NPC & Super14 seasons in NZ, instrumental in NZ Maori's first ever win against the Lions in 05, and most importantly - related to Vettori!

He's no journeyman!

Rookie
    vCash
    With the arrival of David Hill I wonder if he is going to slot straight into 10 and JOC will go back to 15 or 12. I reckon if Shepherd was fit JOC would have moved to 12 but because Shepherd is always injured I think JOC will have to be moved to 15. Even when Shepherd returns I'd play him on the wing. Its getting pretty annoying with all the injuries this guy gets.
    I wonder if Sam Harris is going to be given another go at 12. The reason I say that is because 12 is his better position and because Mitch Inman and Bartholomeuz were very disappointing against in the last game, the way they fell off tackles particularly Masaga were embarassing. I've seen him play alot of good games as a 12 for the Waratahs, Rays and Rats with a 10 running the show and in our case a 15 that is very creative. I also want to take this opportunity to say I was wrong, in forums before the season started I said JOC should have started the season on the bench, how wrong was I?
    I wonder what they are going to do with the front row, is it time to move Pek Cowan to loose head and give Whittaker a start. Is it time to give Longbottom a run. Alot of our front row are not good laterally and get found out alot in defence.
    Have got to say I'm very happy with the arrivals of Sheehan and McCalman.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jjk View Post
    With the arrival of David Hill I wonder if he is going to slot straight into 10 .
    Yes

---------- Post added at 15:29 ---------- Previous post was at 15:28 ----------

I wonder if Sam Harris is going to be given another go at 12.
    Yes

---------- Post added at 15:30 ---------- Previous post was at 15:29 ----------

I wonder what they are going to do with the front row, is it time to move Pek Cowan to loose head and give Whittaker a start..
    no

---------- Post added at 15:31 ---------- Previous post was at 15:30 ----------

Have got to say I'm very happy with the arrivals of Sheehan and McCalman.
    Yes
    Pity sheehan is injured I hope he is OK for the Reds

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    Now I'm a scrubber, runner and a breaker too
    I live on damper and wallaby stew
    I've got a big cattle dog with a staghound cross
    I never saw the scrubber we couldn't toss
    'Cause I'm the Feller from Cunnamulla
    Yes I'm the Cunnamulla Feller

What a great song. My Screaming Jets version is in the mail as we speak.

According to homebrand sauces, Rolf Harris is doing a cover of the aforementioned Screaming Jets version on his much awaited new album, Escalators to Heaven.

Lets face facts; Hill is a godsend for us in our current predicament, much of which, certain evidence from a homebrand sauce suggests, can be attributed directly to Tim Johnston.

If Mr Gitteau had not been shafted financially (forget his professed love of the sea change lifestyle, lovely weather, snazzy girlfriend, free cappucinos at Leftbank etc etc) and had his pride cuckolled (sic) he may well have stayed in WA.

Love him or loathe him, Gits is a class act and class acts are not easy to acquire at the short notice.

David Hill will serve us well.

Thank your mother for the rabbits.

Back to the lawnmowing....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast