Thread: Player exodus warning for ARU

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Player exodus warning for ARU

Player exodus warning for ARU

WALLABIES winger Peter Hynes has warned Australia risks losing players overseas in the 2011 World Cup year if the ARU attempts to cut costs by reducing salaries.

Hynes, who was yesterday ruled out of Queensland's Super 14 match with the Chiefs in Hamilton on Friday night with a dislocated finger, said the ARU should not assume players will remain in Australia to play in the World Cup in New Zealand if they are not offered reasonable money.
    "If they don't come up with the right offer, the risk they run is that they will lose more players," Hynes said.
    "This is not the time to lose players with the fifth team (Melbourne Rebels) coming in. Australia doesn't have the depth.
    "I understand they are trying to cut costs, but you can't lose too many players. You have to pay a player his market value or you risk losing him."

Most observers would regard Hynes, who has played 22 Tests since making his debut in 2008, as a key member of the Wallabies' 2011 World Cup squad.
    But Hynes was fast running out of patience with the ARU over the current renegotiation of his contract, claiming the national union's "stonewalling" tactics could force him overseas. He began talks with the ARU last year, but is yet to receive an offer to top up his provincial contract.
    "I've got a bit of interest from overseas," Hynes said. "It's something I want to do at some stage.
    "Ideally, I'd like to stay in Australia and play in the World Cup. I've got to be in the ARU's plans. If not, I'm better off going overseas.
    "I tried to negotiate last year for 2011. They have been stonewalling me. If they mess around much longer, I'll likely go overseas. The longer they drag it out, they will force me to make a decision. I can tell you, if it comes to a point where I have to make a decision, I'll make a decision which is in the best interests of me and my family.
    "I met with Robbie Deans (Wallabies coach) recently and he seemed interested in keeping me. I don't see what the problem is," he said.
    Hynes is on the wish list of Super 15 expansion team Melbourne Rebels, but he cannot determine his future at the provincial level until he knows whether he is re-signing with the ARU.
    "I haven't made a provincial decision," Hynes said. "The decision will come down to the ARU. If we reach an agreement, the next step will be to sort out which province I play for.
    "I'm at a standstill. I'd like to know my future one way or the other.
    "The Reds and the Rebels are keen to sign me. It's frustrating for them too. Until the ARU sorts it out, there's no point negotiating with them."
    Hynes and back-up halfback Richard Kingi (hamstring) joined the list of injured Queensland players, including captain and second-rower James Horwill (knee), Rod Davies (cheekbone) and reserve five-eighth Tim Walsh (broken hand).
    "I dislocated it a few times in the game," Hynes said. "Four or five. It kept popping in and out. It's too loose. The ligament is gone. Nothing is holding it. Every time I make a tackle I dislocate it."
    At least, Hynes will not require surgery to repair the finger and is hoping to be fit to play the Western Force in Brisbane on Sunday week, but Kingi will be out for a few weeks.
    Rugby league convert Will Chambers is likely to start against the Chiefs, while Queensland coach Ewen McKenzie will look to bring outside backs Brando Va'aulu, Blair Connor and Luke Morahan into the squad for the trip to Hamilton. Ben Lucas can cover the back-up halfback role.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225836275988

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I guess this is admin control of the Rebels signs... slowing down the process...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!