Thread: Western Force vulnerable as it takes a breather

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Western Force vulnerable as it takes a breather

It is a dangerous thing to be the first Australian side to have the bye in the year in which a Super rugby expansion franchise is building its player roster from scratch, but the Western Force still is relieved to have next weekend off.

The injury-ravaged Force is yet to open its account in this year's Super 14, with not even a bonus point to show for its efforts over the opening three rounds of the tournament.

Normally, captain Nathan Sharpe would prefer a late-season bye to give his team the chance to freshen up before making a push for the play-offs but this year has started off in nightmarish fashion and he is hoping the week's rest will act as a circuit-breaker.

"It just gives us a chance to regroup and to work towards getting some consistency," said Sharpe yesterday following his side's 37-19 loss to a rampaging Chiefs outfit at Members Equity Stadium on Saturday night.

It also gives coach John Mitchell five training sessions over the next fortnight to familiarise his new playmaker, former All Blacks five-eighth David Hill, with the Force game plan and his new teammates before the next match, against the Reds at Suncorp Stadium on March 14.

With Hill clearly earmarked for the 10 jersey, the hot question now is whether James O'Connor, who played at five-eighth against the Chiefs, will revert to his regular position at fullback or instead move to inside centre, allowing the Force to again use two playmakers, as it did last season when the teenage Wallaby played alongside Matt Giteau.

Certainly the performance of Mark Bartholomeusz at fullback against the Chiefs was solid enough to give Mitchell every confidence that he could redeploy O'Connor to his midfield without compromising the back three.

Even though Wallabies David Pocock, Richard Brown and Cameron Shepherd are still weeks away from a return from injury, the Force is slowly plugging its gaps.

Wingers Nick Cummins and Scott Staniforth and Test centre Ryan Cross all made their first appearances of the season against the Chiefs.

Still, this is a vulnerable time for the Force's confidence to be so low, with the March 15 deadline before the Melbourne Rebels are able to sign players from the other Australian provinces fast approaching. Five years ago when the Force was the new franchise chasing players, the Reds were just as vulnerable, also having lost their opening three matches that season.

The then-Force chief executive Peter O'Meara snapped up every disgruntled Queensland Red willing to relocate to Perth. And there were plenty of volunteers, nine of them.

Whether the Rebels will do unto the Force as the Force did unto the Reds remains to be seen. But given that Perth players are now enjoying a few days' holiday while their colleagues in the other provinces are all gearing up for round four, it's a fair bet that Melbourne recruiters will be flying west this week.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225835378942

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    If David Pocock has indicated he isn't going to the Rebels, the only two experienced players the Rebels could take would be Shepherd and O'Young. It wouldn't surprise me if O'Young went- he is probably sick of being a bench player but it wouldn't disappoint me either as Justin Turner and Mark Swanepoel will want more game time next year.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    The overriding factor would be that at this stage the Rebels have no key signings and who says that by going to the Rebels they will be playing for a more capable team?

Besides Rod McCall, who is a legend, but has been out of coaching for a few years, they have no key attractions and not many potential key signings.

At this stage I see our only disadvatage to them being the distance form Sydney, as most probably still live there and do the commute

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Certainly the performance of Mark Bartholomeusz at fullback against the Chiefs was solid enough to give Mitchell every confidence that he could redeploy O'Connor to his midfield without compromising the back three.
    Wayne must have got the tape of a different game to the one I saw. (or has a low opinion of JM's requirement for confidence!)

Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Wingers Nick Cummins and Scott Staniforth and Test centre Ryan Cross all made their first appearances of the season against the Chiefs.
    Nice one Wayne! Never let the truth get in the way of journalism!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Besides Rod McCall, who is a legend, but has been out of coaching for a few years, they have no key attractions and not many potential key signings.
    Rod MacQueen... And I'd say Danny Cipriani's not a bad signing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    What about Old Man Brumby. Looks like he's over the line as soon as the announcement can be made.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    There’s a rumour he's been offered a 3 year contact which may involve an admin or coaching role at the back end. But On the other hand, there is another rumour that not all within the Rebels admin want to offer him a 3 year agreement...

If there is a genuine good offer he should take it. It would be good for Morty and good for the Rebels...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    If there is a genuine good offer he should take it. It would be good for Morty and good for the Rebels...
    What a kick in the teeth for Stirling, years and years of putting his body and soul on the line for the Brumbies, and they try this "spin", thats its in his best interest to go to the Rebels, why are they not looking after him and ensuring he is looked after on the "home" front with a coaching or other role.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    Cip's is like a curates eggs, good in parts. I would be concerned about his off-field attitude and how well he is able to gel in a team, he will certainly require a generous baggage allowance from Qantas to carry his ego across the pond. Saying that, when on form and probably playing on much harder pitches he can spark a side.

Not been keeping up with all of the potential rebel signings (must be just about everyone linked at one time or another0 but is there any truth that they are signing Michael Lipman (ex-Bath captain and No7)?

Sorry to have taken this off-topic, so...its never a good time to take a break while others get more game time BUT there is no alternative than to put a possitive spin, I think that is what Nathan is trying...not sure I'm convinced though.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    There was talk of Lipman asking too much and too long a contract. I don't think that one will go ahead.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I expect the force to win the bye.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    with a late try...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Giving JOC the opportunity to kick the winning points after the siren..................We'll be gipped for the points though.

Force at $2.50 for the win, bookies continuing their love affair with the Force!

C'mon the

vCash
    We'll also be the only team to restrict the Bulls in not scoring a 4Try BP in the season so far.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    What a kick in the teeth for Stirling, years and years of putting his body and soul on the line for the Brumbies, and they try this "spin", thats its in his best interest to go to the Rebels, why are they not looking after him and ensuring he is looked after on the "home" front with a coaching or other role.

Stirling is stringing out his playing carrier... Brumbies have offered him a single years contact only. This is not to say another wouldn't follow if he had a good 2011.

The Rebels interest in him is wider and would employ him as a PR frontman for the club alongside Macqueen. Great combo a winning RWC Coach and a Senior 1000 point S14 player who’s a past Wallabies captain, Melbourne love big name sportsmen. It would work well... Stirling Mortlock is a world wide rugby identity. He’s Australia’s Tana Umaga…

As for coaching Stirling may still go that way in the future but the Brumbies at this time have a new good coaching roster. He could step into a backs coach deal with the Rebels.

I just wish him and his family the best what ever he chooses... There is no disrespect to Stirling at the Brumbies... He'll always have a special place in Brumbies story..