Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: open apology to mr sharp

vCash

open apology to mr sharp

ok, i'll be honest, i have a manbag. i cannot live without it. it carries memory sticks, a small pair of binoculars, my phone, my wallet, the book i'm reading, 3 sets of keys, glasses (2 pairs), USB cable, a game and (que reason for apology) my camera.

despite the score, i enjoyed last night’s game against the cow bell, chainsaw hookers. the blue team played much better than the score would suggest. so unlike a few of the fair weather blue peeps, i decided to head to the fence and say "good on yer" to those worthy souls.

on the way i said something along the lines of "it would be charming to get a picture of you and mr sharp standing next to each other" to my partner. she then failed to hear the rest of the statement along the lines of "but we can't because if you jump the fence and stand next to him, our penalty based society will cut your legs off for pitch invasion".

so we arrived at an exhausted, truly spent mr sharp, being a truly good soul talking to his admirers. i ask him "can you sign my game menu?". "sure" he says dripping on us both from on high.

then "she" says "can i have a picture with you?" "sure" says our friendly giant. I did not, in any way, expect this. i think the term "a passing comment" must have gone on holiday to the full moon that was out that night. I'm unprepared and surprised.

i'm so sorry mr sharp. i spent a geological age ferreting in the damn bag trying to find the camera. you were so patient with me.

You’re a top bloke.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

vCash
    Yes I agree He is a top bloke.

I have met a couple of international rugby players and Sharpie is the most decent person of all of them

vCash
    i spoke to sam wykes and nathan sharp. i was amazed and impressed by how buggered they looked. i'd like to thank them both for their time.

i've been quietly watching mr wykes for a while now. he impresses me. possibly better at lock though?

edit; talking to the players gave me new insite to what it's like being a professional footy player. i never new how much patientce and humillity was needed.

Last edited by antiussentiment; 28-02-10 at 12:47.
    cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

Champion
    vCash
    Sharpie has great future ahead of him as a coach I feel (the wallabies will be relying on him this year with Horwill out) ...... he reminds me of a Justin Langer with cricket 120% dedicated comitted and can put two words togther

vCash
    Bad Things come in threes - our luck is about to change - but boy we chose Sharpie well - echo many of the sentiments of the above - the few occasions I have met him he has been gorgeous and very generous with his time to an idiot fan

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    This is the attitude I think more of our elite atheletes could adopt. I was lucky enough to shake spanner's hand after the match and he was extremly gracious and just fantastic with all the kids who mobbed him. Even after a very guelling match he was similing and being great with everyone... these guys are a real example for the youngsters - hopefully we can build a culture at the force with it being about the game and contest and not about the money... Great to see Bankwest coming on board as a grass roots sponsor - exactly what we need for the kids playing rugby out there. Maybe we can get more options for the youngster than AusKick....

Good on you Sharpie and Spanner - you are real gentlemen of the game!!

vCash
    Whenever I see Sharpie interviewed post match (like 5 second after the hooter) I think, damn you're a together guy, always positive without being ridiculous, very thankful for support. Comes across extremely well.
    I know Richie McCaw well enough for him to remember my name. He is always chatty, always interested (I know how you guys think he's a cheat etc) but he is a regular guy. At the 7s in Wellington one year at about 2 in the morning, I'm kicking with the guys I go with and he comes up (with Jerome Kaino) and says 'how's your day been Woody'? He was there for the NZ Rugby Player of the Year stuff. Bang, I'm a bit special with my crew. RM can do no wrong now, ever!

I know what you're saying brother, it warms your heart, makes you feel a little special, great. Sharpie just gained two fans for ever, regardless of what happens from here.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Great thread all, should be more of it on this site.
    Unfortunately I had to bolt for the airport as the final whistle went, I think it is the first time I have left the stands before the last player left the arena.
    We can all bitch and moan in the heat of the moment about this player and that player for their performance, but it would be ignorant to ignore the huge effort these fellas put in each week to be the best they can, whatever that ends up being, week after week.
    To me, as long termers here will know from me, this kind of appreciation defines the difference of a supporter and a fan.
    Sharing all the emotion of your team, with your team makes for a much fuller experience than only being there for the good times.
    While I enjoy the money they bring, I really don't have much more respect for fair weather fans than I do for Rugby bashers.
    And sitting directly in front of the Diamond seats on the weekend, I was astounded at the level of ignorance to basics of the code by punters, I'm talking the fundamental Laws, not high brow stuff. Quite amazed.
    Anyway, back to topic, stick with them supporters, the good times will be so much sweeter.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    And sitting directly in front of the Diamond seats on the weekend, I was astounded at the level of ignorance to basics of the code by punters, I'm talking the fundamental Laws, not high brow stuff. Quite amazed.
    Anyway, back to topic, stick with them supporters, the good times will be so much sweeter.
    But it's easy to get VERY one eyed from the stands Burgs. I know I've changed my tune several times on the Reffing after watching the replay.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Agreed Gigs, but you would generally expect 99% of the top level members to actually know what they were talking about on the basics of the code.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Sort of like Government Ministers?

Senior Player
    vCash
    Sharpie always has an excellent analysis of the game, even from 'the engine room'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
    Sharpie always has an excellent analysis of the game, even from 'the engine room'.
    In that case, it's a shame that he doesn't appear able to influence the players around him. Sharpie is an excellent line-out organiser, but against the Chiefs the line-out was appalling - mainly due to Pek having a 'mare (possibly due to the wind).

However, Sharpe didn't re-organise the line-outs to keep possesion, and we lost a lot of ball either through stolen ball or penalties for not straight (the first two Chiefs tries were from lost Force throw-ins deep in their territory!)

I can understand wanting to follow Mitchell's game-plan, but when the game-plan isn't working we don't seem to be able to go to a Plan B. Is this a problem with the coaches not having a Plan B, the on-field leadership not changing to Plan B, or the players not being able to play Plan B?

vCash
    The safe option is to hit 2 in the line out. It is also the easiest to steal and the least effective to attack from. Pek had a shitter with his throws but to think he wasn't going to get it right would be to capitulate. They had to believe he was going to start hitting the spot,............ unfortunately he didn't.

P.S. I am still unsure of Plan A let alone Plan B. Currently Plan A seems to be win some good ball and we'll put our faith in JOC. realistically that failed on 2 fronts the other night. The ball wasn't flash and JOC was sure if he was 10 or 15.

vCash

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by BDAVEY View Post
    Sharpie has great future ahead of him as a coach I feel (the wallabies will be relying on him this year with Horwill out) ...... he reminds me of a Justin Langer with cricket 120% dedicated comitted and can put two words togther
    Hope he can spell.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast