Thread: Peter Hynes in no-man's-land

vCash

Post Peter Hynes in no-man's-land

Peter Hynes is tackled during the Reds win over the Crusaders at Suncorp Stadium last Friday Picture: Nathan Richter Source: The Courier-Mail

A FRUSTRATED Peter Hynes is sweating on a firm indication from the Australian Rugby Union on whether he figures in its plans for next year's World Cup.

Hynes is desperate to know before he can even begin to weigh up whether to stay with the Reds or switch to the Rebels.

Hynes was identified from the outset as one of a half-dozen high-profile Wallabies being targeted by the new Melbourne Super 15 franchise, but until he learns what, if any, contractual top-up he will receive from the ARU, his dilemma is not so much whether to remain in Queensland but whether to remain in Australia.

“I'm actually waiting on the ARU at the moment,” said Hynes yesterday. “I haven't had any indication from them. There's a bit of stonewalling going on. It's a bit frustrating.

“There is no point in staying in Australia if I'm not in their plans. I've had a few offers from Europe that I'm considering but if Australia wants me to stay, I'll stay. Until all that gets sorted out, there's no point thinking about whether I'm going to be at the Reds or Rebels next season.”

It is inconceivable that Hynes, who is only 27 and at the peak of his game, would not figure in Robbie Deans' World Cup plans. He was used by Deans in every minute of every Test on the Wallabies spring tour last November, those five caps bringing his tally of Tests to 22.

What's more, he has added a new string to his bow after making a spectacular switch from wing to fullback for the Reds this season and in his two games so far in the 15 jersey has cut a swathe through the sides with the best defensive records in Super 14 last year, the Crusaders and Waratahs.

Assuming the contractual impasse with the ARU is removed, Hynes' future could well be determined by how well the Reds perform in their three remaining games before the ban on the Rebels signing players from other Australian franchises expires on March 15. “If we're going well, it's going to be harder to leave,” said Hynes, who has battled through the hard years with the Reds since joining them straight out of school in 2003 and is now relishing the possibility of playing in a Queensland side that opposing teams are starting to fear and respect.

“I guess if we don't go well, it would make the decision easier. It's an exciting opportunity, going to Melbourne to make a new start with the team Rod Macqueen is putting together.”

He took careful note of the fact that the Rebels signed their first recruit, England five-eighth Danny Cipriani primarily as a fullback but is confident that would not preclude him playing at 15 if he moved to Melbourne. “Positions change from week to week. Who can say what the situation is going to be in 52 weeks' time?”

Hynes is as inclined as the next player to resort to the clichaacé about the next match being the most important but, now that the interstate clash with NSW has been played, there is in his mind no more significant game on the Reds' calendar than Saturday's “Back to Ballymore” clash with the Auckland Blues.

“This next game is hugely important for Queensland, both as a team and as an organisation,” he said. “I'm really excited about going back to Ballymore, which is where I made my debut. To be playing back at the home of Queensland rugby is pretty special to me and I'd like the rest of the team to experience that as well.”

Save for hooker Sean Hardman and second-rower Van Humphries _ both expected back injuries against the Blues, albeit probably off the bench where Hardman is concerned _ no other Reds have experienced the support of a Ballymore crowd, although Morgan Turinui well knows how hostile the environment can be for visiting teams.

“From our point of view, it's a matter of turning up and showing the same intensity as we have in our first two games,” Hynes said. “Physically we've got to get into it. If we do that, our game flows from there. And when they run at us, we've got to hurt them in defence.”

Auckland coach Pat Lam will have his fingers crossed that no serious hurt is inflicted on his team, not after All Blacks centre Isaia Toeava yesterday was ruled out of the Reds match because of a hip injury, joining fellow Test star Luke McAlister and uncapped winger George Pisi on the injured list.

Both teams come into this match with 50 per cent winning record but off the back of impressive victories. As chuffed as the Reds were to have defeated the Crusaders for the first time this century last weekend, the Blues would have drawn just as much confidence from toppling the Highlanders in Dunedin.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225834286241

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    The other side of the ARU's decision to bring the contract dates forward - pressure will now be on them to extract the digit...

vCash
    Yep and they may end up slowing the process down...

Last edited by mudskipper; 25-02-10 at 21:28.

vCash
    Is it just my imagination or do players in negotiations with NSW & ACT not seem to be in this situation too often?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Is it just my imagination or do players in negotiations with NSW & ACT not seem to be in this situation too often?
    nup... ARU do it to all slow down the process for all especially position which they know they have a few up and comers to cover... Joys of being an outside back, there is always a faster kid in the gym. It puts the pressure back on the player or they end up paying too much for their services...

vCash
    Unless, of course you're Matt Giteau, Rocky Elsom, George Smith or Stirling Mortlock!

C'mon the

vCash
    how slow was Matt Giteau's ARU S14 contract review... man it went on forever