Thread: Waratahs playmaker Beale benched

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Waratahs playmaker Beale benched

Waratahs playmaker Beale benched

AAP February 24, 2010, 4:57 pm
    AAP © Enlarge photo

Waratahs playmaker Kurtley Beale has been benched in the wake of last weekend's disappointing Super 14 loss to the Stormers.
    The former Australian Schoolboys star, who has played one match for the Wallabies, has been dropped with Daniel Halangahu promoted to flyhalf and Berrick Barnes shifting to the centres to face the Bulls on Saturday.
    Since playing every match at No.10 in 2008 and leading NSW to the Super rugby final, Beale has struggled to make the five-eighth position his own.
    He played matches at centre and fullback last season and after just two games in 2010, he's been demoted to the reserves.
    Waratahs coach Chris Hickey has shifted gun Wallabies recruit Barnes out of five-eighth to allow Halangahu to lead the team's backline against the Bulls.
    The reliable Halangahu joins lock Dave Dennis as the changes to the run-on side, while 19-year-old back-rower Locky McCaffrey will debut on the bench alongside centre Rob Horne, who returns from a hamstring injury.
    Hickey said having Halangahu and Barnes both starting gives the team "good game management", but didn't explain his future plans for Beale.
    The talented 21-year-old would like to think he can control a game too, but he'll only have limited game time to prove that this weekend from the bench.
    "Daniel's done a really good job when he's come on at the back end of the game," Hickey said of Halangahu, who was used as an interchange player in the first two matches.
    "He gives us really good game management and we think that by having Daniel along with Berrick there at 10 and 12, we'll have good game management throughout the whole game."
    Wallaby tourist Dennis will notch his first run-on cap at Super 14 level, replacing the benched Will Caldwell.
    "He brings aggression, he's got good mobility, good speed around the park and he's an explosive jumper in the lineouts - he covers all those areas which are going to be important in the match against the Bulls," Hickey said.
    McCaffrey was Sydney rugby competition the Shute Shield's 2009 rookie of the year.
    NSW Waratahs: Sosene Anesi, Lachie Turner, Tom Carter, Berrick Barnes, Drew Mitchell, Daniel Halangahu, Luke Burgess, Wycliff Palu, Phil Waugh (capt), Ben Mowen, Kane Douglas, Dave Dennis, Al Baxter, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Benn Robinson. Res: Damien Fitzpatrick, Sekope Kepu, Will Caldwell, Locky McCaffrey, Josh Holmes, Kurtley Beale, Rob Horne.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...beale-benched/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Daniel Halangahu promoted to flyhalf and Berrick Barnes shifting to the centres
    I think the tahs is worse of than us
    The Bulls will immediately aim their game plan at the new 5/8.
    Barnes in the centres to stop Olivier ?? Looks like another try feast!!
    Aaah!!! lets not forget the non tackling Drew Mitchell

Veteran
    vCash
    i reckons barnes defence is pretty solid. he always taking on the big runners like nonu et al.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    And normally getting KO'd
    #12 is his best position though...but when deciding between him and Gits he is the better option to Gits' #12.
    Didn't see last week but Beale was pretty ordinary for most of the match v the Reds.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    And normally getting KO'd
    #12 is his best position though...but when deciding between him and Gits he is the better option to Gits' #12.
    Didn't see last week but Beale was pretty ordinary for most of the match v the Reds.
    did you mean to say Gits' #10?

I think Gits would make an awesome 12, and Barnes a serviceable 10 with Gits outside him.

Ooooops better not speak too loud, He's off contract at the end of the year, don't want him to go to the Brumbies!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'm saying that Barnes is a good #10 but a very good #12.
    I'm saying that Gits is a great #12 but an average #10.
    I would prefer Barnes at #12 but if Gits is playing then better to have Barnes at #10 and Gits at #12.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Cooper 10
    Giteau 12
    Barnes bench to cover both positions

I'm almost willing to bet that will be the combination for Bledisloe 114

vCash
    I'd take some of that action assuming Quade doesn't do back to the brain fart thingo!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    did you mean to say Gits' #10?

I think Gits would make an awesome 12, and Barnes a serviceable 10 with Gits outside him.

Ooooops better not speak too loud, He's off contract at the end of the year, don't want him to go to the Brumbies!
    I saw that...