Thread: Sheehan takes blame for Harris howler

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Sheehan takes blame for Harris howler

Sheehan takes blame for Harris howler

JUSTIN CHADWICK

February 19, 2010 - 5:54PM
    AAP
    New Western Force scrumhalf Brett Sheehan believes he's partly to blame for team-mate Sam Harris' horror debut at five-eighth in last week's Super 14 loss to the Brumbies.
    Harris arrived at the Force with his eyes firmly fixed on the No.12 jersey but the former Waratah was thrust into the flyhalf role on the eve of the season when Mark Bartholomeusz succumbed to a neck injury.
    Harris failed to embrace the position against the Brumbies, with his wayward boot giving the Canberra-based franchise excellent field position time and again.
    But Sheehan felt he, too, was at fault for the Force's demise in that match and said 30-year-old Harris didn't deserve to cop all the flak.
    "Sammy and I have known each other since we were 12 years of age and we've played a hell of a lot of rugby together but unfortunately in that game our cohesion was out," Sheehan said.
    "He's played football for a long time and been playing really well at inside centre.
    "But to be thrown in at flyhalf 24 hours before the game can be a daunting thing.
    "There were no two people more devastated in our performance last week than Sam and I because we were the ones that had to run the game and our lack of cohesion cost us in elements of the game.
    "Some of our calls cost us and we're aware of that and we've worked hard on it this week."
    The Force's worrying injury toll has seen Harris retain his role at five-eighth for Saturday's clash with the Hurricanes in Wellington.
    "I think you'll see a different outcome this week," Sheehan said.
    "It can take weeks, months to form a partnership but in saying that we've played a lot of football together at club level at five-eight and halfback.
    "Our timing was out (against the Brumbies) but at training this week we've worked really hard together and had a lot of opposition coming at us so we've got it nailed down for the weekend."
    Wallabies outside centre Ryan Cross (shoulder) was the latest Force player to succumb to injury, joining Cameron Shepherd (thigh), Bartholomeusz (neck), David Pocock (finger), Richard Brown (shoulder), Andre Pretorius (hamstring) and Nick Cummins (foot) on the sidelines.
    Combine that with the loss of stars Matt Giteau and Drew Mitchell last year and many pundits have already labelled the Force's season a write-off.
    But Sheehan, who crossed to the Force from the Waratahs at the end of last season in a bid to boost his chances of a Wallabies recall, said expectations within the group remained high.
    "We play this game to play in finals football and it still is a goal," he said.
    "People might think it's hard now but it gives other guys the opportunity to step up and make a mark.
    "You never know who can come in and step up and drive us forward."
    Coach John Mitchell has included two debutants in the run-on side against the Hurricanes, in Mitch Inman at outside centre and Ben McCalman at No.6.

© 2010 AAP

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...0219-ollu.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Really encourages me to see this sort of talk.. it shows unity and commitment and thats what we need in the dark hours!

vCash
    Good to see him stand up... Its the truth... The good news is both he and Harris can do better and I'm sure they will..

vCash
    Like to see this. It's a good sign when players internalise the locus of control.

When Sheeno says he wants to take some of the blame, it means he thinks he can do something about it.

Certainly an improvement on some of the shit MattyG and Drew-Boy come out with!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    internalise the locus of control.
    Gigs I've just walked in the door after seeing the Saders dorked by TOCs crew and I've got way way too much bourbon on board but WTF is the locus of control grasshopper?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Props to the lad for sticking his hand up, right or wrong - bodes well for the team regardless.

vCash
    WTF - wonderful stuff but WTF

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Yea and its my fault he can't kick, i take full responsibility.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    And Ellis should be dropped from the Crusaders after tonight...
    Give the bloke a chance, he will be far better this week with some time to actually prepare for the role.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.