Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spoilers

vCash

Spoilers

Don't know if any other members work in 24/7 operations but for myself the roster works out to working 4 weekends out of every 10. Happily I can still make every home game this year. But I'd like to put forward a recommendation that thread titles for content that would give the results of matches include the word "spoiler" and that titles themselves don't announce a result.

It's a long standing piece of netiquette that has been the standard in Usenet groups such as rec.sport.rugbu-union etc. Not only good for shift workers but anyone who has recorded on IQ to watch later. I don't want to have to avoid visiting TWF for a few days just just so I can enjoy watching a match.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    fair point - will try

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    If you wish to post spoilers in the body of a message, you can us the spoiler tag. I'll try and add an icon for it in the new post window, but manually you do as follows:

[spoiler=The results of the Force -v- Hurricanes Match is]Force 17 def 'canes 12[/spoiler]

which gives you:

The results of the Force -v- Hurricanes Match is

Realistly though, such things are likley to turn up on the front page, Shasta - a bit hard to hide ...

vCash
    might not be possible shasta, but I support your rationale de force

vCash
    Yeah. Well I'll maybe log on through The "Forums Home" page if that's the case. If it's reasonably easy to do it would be a great help to me and anyone else who sometimes records matches. Thanks in advance.

I was also thinking of the actual titles that sometimes are a cut and paste of newspaper sites like.....

Force Blow Hurricanes away in Windy City

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Yeah. Well I'll maybe log on through The "Forums Home" page if that's the case. If it's reasonably easy to do it would be a great help to me and anyone else who sometimes records matches. Thanks in advance.

I was also thinking of the actual titles that sometimes are a cut and paste of newspaper sites like.....

Force Blow Hurricanes away in Windy City
    Yes, I dig it "Results of Force v Hurricanes" would be simple and not spoil it; but it's more likely to turn out to be "Force v Hurricanes.. you little ripper- oops no telling who won, but Bloody beauty!" I'm in the same boat as you shasta, but it's going to be hard, no, impossible to keep the enthusiasm in check!

vCash
    Maybe, but the odd polite reminder may eventually win out.like I said it's been a standard on usenet boards for at over 15 years AFAIK. Seems to work OK.

vCash
    You could aviod any media until you've watched the match later... Coming here you'll get all the news... Sounds like you want to go swimming but not get wet Shastaman... I'd receommned you change jobs...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Totally sympathetic to the cause Shasta, any time I watch a Test on delay I will receive a text from friends from the other nation, especially f'ing Kiwis, gloating when they win.
    In reality, I think you will be doing well to risk coming on TWF by the time you have at least five threads on the outcome, often being posted within seconds of the final whistle, the live score feed and the chatbox on the front page.
    I've tried before and it just takes a single word in the corner of the eye and the gig is up.
    Will try for you mate, but all care no responsibility.
    As has been told to many a self righteous trolling type over the years and I’m sure you would appreciate, TWF isn't every other website

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    it just takes a single word in the corner of the eye and the gig is up.
    What'd I do??????

C'mon the

vCash
    Thanks to Coach and mods for the replies. It's mainly results of matches other than where The Force are involved that I'm thinking of. So the solution may be a bit more effective for those.

I reckon most of us don't try to dodge Force matches - you just have to know how they are going - IMMEDIATELY. I either listen to Radio or check out TWF, Scrum.com, Planet Rugby when I'm at work and the boys are playing.

vCash
    So when are we allowed to post game results ?????

If you don't post it the moment it is available you might as well not post it at all,

lots of users that come to this site to find all Super 14 results without having to surf the net from one website to another will start looking for another place where they can see these results as they come available.

I think that not posting results is going backwards !!!! This morning I only have 10 unread posts This is less than what I have on Christmas morning.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post

I think that not posting results is going backwards !!!! This morning I only have 10 unread posts This is less than what I have on Christmas morning.
    Thats because the Brumbies lost and no one wants bang on about how good the ponies are..........

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I don't think we'll be adopting a "no spoilers" rule - we're a bit of a news site, and I don't want to be sending people elsewhere to get what they come here for.

vCash
    The thing is that if I do not want to see a score of a certain game then I do not go on the computer or any other media until I have watched the game.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast