Thread: Nathan Sharpe: We won't be also-rans this year

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Nathan Sharpe: We won't be also-rans this year

We start the new year with an exciting squad of players for the Emirates Western Force. Having spent a lot of time with this squad I know that it has the talent and enthusiasm to match it with the best.

We may have lost Matt Giteau but when someone of the calibre of James O'Connor re-signs and a player of the stature of Matt Dunning joins your franchise, it instils real confidence in the team.

We aren't here to make up the numbers. We want to have an impact and give the competition a big shake-up this season.

In the long-awaited move to ME Bank Stadium, excitement is building for round one against the Brumbies on Friday night.

The level of intensity is comparable to our first clash with the Brumbies in the Force's inaugural game at Subiaco Oval in 2006.

This game holds a memory etched into my mind - the amazing crowd and the sea of blue that night. The boys are all counting on a show like this on Friday to kick-start our season with a great win over the boys from ACT.

And we can't wait to catch up with our old mate Gits.

We want to start the season with a bang at our new home and the more intimidating environment the better for us.

Let them know they are at the home of the Western Force.

It's been great to bring on board some very talented and rather big front rowers to the degree where we will have the luxury of choice each week from a fine set of blue-ribbon prize bulls. Coupled with the rapid development of Richard Stanford, Tom Hockings and Sam Wykes in the second row, our tight five has been boosted resoundingly.

There's no real need to mention our back row. They have matured immensely and now set the benchmark for back row play in Super 14. Ben McCalman has impressed the group and will bring another dimension to the style of game that we want to play.

The unfortunate news that Andre Pretorius received last week was certainly untimely with the start of the season approaching and his desire to reclaim the Springbok jersey. The loss for us is just as personal as it is professional. His influence on the team was already significant both on and off the field.

It now gives Mark Bartholomeusz, whose experience at this level is first rate, the opportunity to guide the team.

Barty's development is inspiring as he began his career on the wing with me in the Australian under-21s, transforming himself into a playmaker over the past six years of his career.

It's been great to see a Perth favourite, Cameron Shepherd, come back to full fitness after an horrific run of injuries over the past 12 months.

His return adds a great deal of composure to our back three, combining with James O'Connor's continual improvement as one of the game's most exciting players.

Travelling to South Africa this year has been an excellent build-up for us. In previous years we have managed only limited trial time as a team, but going to South Africa and then playing Queensland last Friday night has enabled us crucial minutes together as a team.

Our trip to Africa was also an excellent opportunity to establish our cricket teams for the friendly matches we play on the morning of the game. It takes our minds off the coming contest and gets us out of the hotel.

While Tim Fairbrother promised so much on the pitch, he delivered so little that his first tour may also be his last.

I shouldn't finish without mentioning my old mate George Smith, who announced his retirement from international rugby this week. He has been a great player and a great ambassador for Australian rugby on and off the pitch and we wish him well.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...ans-this-year/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    and a player of the stature of Matt Dunning
    love it stature bit of a dig i think

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "While Tim Fairbrother promised so much on the pitch, he delivered so little that his first tour may also be his last."
    WTF! Sharpey is a sarcastic bugger but nothing surrounding that sentence indicates it to be the case this time, might be an interesting Captains run!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    "While Tim Fairbrother promised so much on the pitch, he delivered so little that his first tour may also be his last."
    WTF! Sharpey is a sarcastic bugger but nothing surrounding that sentence indicates it to be the case this time, might be an interesting Captains run!
    I was gunna post exactly the same line Burgs.....It's either a gee up or a sledge designed to get the big man fired up.........certainly not something the captain says in public without considering it carefully!

C'mon the

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I'd say that quote was in reference to the cricket mentioned in the previous

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpey
    Our trip to Africa was also an excellent opportunity to establish our cricket teams for the friendly matches we play on the morning of the game. It takes our minds off the coming contest and gets us out of the hotel.

While Tim Fairbrother promised so much on the pitch, he delivered so little that his first tour may also be his last.

Veteran
    vCash
    i believe the pitch is a cricket pitch, not rugby...

vCash
    Must have been a green top

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    OK, I'll take that, it does seem a bit random being a stand alone sentence though!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Fairbrother has been getting some pretty big wraps. Apparently he brings a lot of maturity and input to training sessions.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I know quite a few folk who misread that line in exactly the same way. Very poorly worded and constructed and really should have been picked up by the media lads...

vCash
    Yeah, can't blame Sharpie, he hasn't trained for yoears to be a Journo..........maybe Bret Harris did the proofing!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    should have been picked up by the media lads...
    What do you expect from "The West"

Roll on tomorrow!

May the FORCE be with you!