Thread: Pocock Named as Western Force Vice Captain

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Pocock Named as Western Force Vice Captain

Star flanker David Pocock has been appointed vice-captain of the Western Force for the 2010 Super 14 season.

Pocock, who at 21, is the youngest ever Force deputy skipper, said: "It's a great honour, certainly not something that I had thought about or expected but I'm pretty excited."

The move is another huge step in the meteoric rise of the young break- away that has made him heir apparent to Wallaby legend George Smith who retired from international rugby this week

He follows in the footsteps of Scott Fava, Scott Staniforth and most recently Matt Giteau as Force vice-captain and has already been tipped as a future Wallabies captain.

"I was asked about it at the weekend and I had a chat with a few of the older players first to see what they thought about it," Pocock said.

"There are so many other experienced guys in the team that have great leadership qualities and they all gave me their support. That was great.

"It has been great having someone like Sharpie (captain Nathan Sharpe) to learn from.

"I've still got a lot to learn but it's good to know I've got that support and experience around me."

Head coach John Mitchell said: "It's another step in his development as a footballer and is deserving in the sense of what he has achieved and where he wants to go to next.

"He is a balanced enough person to be able to carry the load and responsibility that come with senior leadership."

Sharpe, who has retained the captaincy for the fifth year said: "The appointment shows how well respected David is and how mature he is for such a young man.

"His development has been sensational and he is a great asset to the Force. He is a marvellous player and he is only going to get better."

Pocock, who is out of contract with the Force this season, has already had experience of leadership, having captained the Australian under-20 side and the Force development team to England in 2008.

The Zimbabwe-born Pocock has also represented Australian schoolboys, Australian U-19s and Australia A.

He is regarded as one of the best flankers in the world and had an exceptional Super 14 season last year, teaming up with Richard Brown and Matt Hodgson to produce the best back row in Australian rugby.

His first Force appearance ended in controversy when the club played him as a 17-year-old for 20 minutes in their first ever pre-season match against the Cheetahs in 2006.

They broke an international rule banning players under-18 taking part in senior games however the move prompted the Australian Rugby Union to change the rules.

He made his "legitimate" debut in the Force's final game of their debut year against the Sharks in Durban, aged 18 years and 20 days, broke into the Wallabies in 2008 against the All Blacks in Hong Kong and now has 15 Test caps and has made 38 Super rugby appearances.

Brumbies fly-half Matt Giteau remains in doubt for Friday's opening Super 14 game against the Force. Giteau is still battling to overcome the quad injury which prevented him playing any trials.

Young fly-half Matt Toomua is poised to step in.

If Giteau is fit, Toomua will drop out of the 22, with Giteau and inside centre Christian Lealiifano giving the Brumbies dual playmakers.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...eputy-skipper/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Well deserved! Congratulations David!

Champion
    vCash
    A great choice. He is mature young man who sets a good example for other young players

vCash
    And hopefully a 'hands off' to the other S15 teams.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Well done Bam, totally deserved and another example of Mitch using the "if you're good enough you are old enough" policy in backing players that some may regard inexperienced.
    While an obvious one to some of us no doubt, still an inspired choice, a leader of men no doubt.
    I still go back to his behaviour following "that" victory over the Canes when, as probably the youngest, he was the first by some way to turn to the Canes rather than continuing to celebrate with the team. It's worth replaying is you don't recall it.

Go well David

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    The mark of the man
    Quote Originally Posted by David Pocock
    "There are so many other experienced guys in the team that have great leadership qualities and they all gave me their support. That was great.

"It has been great having someone like Sharpie (captain Nathan Sharpe) to learn from.

"I've still got a lot to learn but it's good to know I've got that support and experience around me."
    Humility, strength, determination and commitment.....mate the boys'll follow you to hell and back!

Congrats Bam, tear Gits apart on Friday!

C'mon the

vCash
    Great news, great player, well done Dave

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Player
    vCash
    well done, but how does that work with sharpie also in the forwards, whos in charge of the backs.Hope this doesnt cause any confusion.

vCash
    Congrats Pocock... he's a natural leader...

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Onya David.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue