Cross fitness under scrutiny for opener

NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian February 9, 2010, 6:31 am

Getty Images / Paul Kane © Enlarge photo

Blockbusting centre Ryan Cross is in doubt for the Western Force Super 14 season opener against the ACT Brumbies on Friday night.
Cross suffered an abdominal strain while the Force were in South Africa for two trials against the Sharks and Stormers. The Wallaby was rested for the final trial against the Reds last Friday and he trained yesterday.
However, Force staff are closely monitoring him and he will go through a series of fitness tests before the side for the Brumbies is announced tomorrow.
Mark Bartholomeusz is expected to start in the crucial playmaker's role against his former club.
Bartholomeusz, who played in the Brumbies 2004 Super 12 title winning side, will take over at fly-half after marquee signing and former Springbok Andre Pretorius, was ruled out for the season after ripping his left hamstring from the bone.
The one-Test Wallaby has resurrected his Australian provincial career after stints with English Premiership club Saracens, Magners League club Ulster and Petrarca Padova in the Italian Super 10 Championship.
Bartholomeusz, 32, who may face former Force golden boy Matt Giteau if he is declared fit tomorrow, said: "It is a bit ironic, after I agreed to come to the Western Force, to see the fixture list and see the Brumbies first up.
"They've got an outstanding list. They're a good side, we know that, but our focus is very much on our own game. I'll be looking forward to the challenge."
Bartholomeusz joined the Force as a utility back capable of covering flyhalf, full-back and centre.
"I've been training there (at flyhalf) since we started in November. It's not foreign from the point of view of fitting into the team framework," he said.
"It's a position I enjoy playing and at this stage of my career probably my best position.
"Obviously it's heartbreaking for Andre, disappointing for him and us as a group, but things move on and opportunities arise for other people.
"This is almost like a new start for us, starting at ME Bank Stadium.
"The playing group has changed significantly since last year. Hopefully we can put in a good performance on Friday night."
Bartholomeusz was happy with his performance in last Friday's trial win against the Queensland Reds.
"It was good to get the run and the majority of the game at No. 10 and get some running in the legs and get used to being in the environment with some of the great players we've got in the squad," he said.
"I loved my time overseas but it's great to be back and being involved in Super rugby again."
Meanwhile, Wallabies scrum coach Patricio Noriega was monitoring the progress of Force front-rower Pek Cowan at yesterday's training.
Cowan has been moved from loosehead prop to hooker and is making a bid for the Wallaby No. 2 jumper.
"He has improved a lot. He showed a lot of improvement last year," Noriega said.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...ny-for-opener/