Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Elsom, Giteau named in full strength Brumbies side to face Western Force

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash

Elsom, Giteau named in full strength Brumbies side to face Western Force

Elsom, Giteau named in full strength Brumbies side to face Western Force

February 09, 2010

Wallaby captain Rocky Elsom and playmaker Matt Giteau have been named in the Brumbies side amid injury concerns for the Super 14 season opener against Western Force on Friday.

Brumbies coach Andy Friend included his two star off-season recruits in a full-strength team for the match in Perth but, while Elsom is a rated likely starter, Giteau is still in serious doubt to play against his former team.

"Matt's still touch and go at this stage," said Friend, who bracketed Giteau at five-eighth with youngster Matt Toomua.

"You never want to leave a player like that out of the side and well be giving him every opportunity to play against his old side.

"He's comfortable with where he's at at the moment and the medical staff has been pleased with how it's been progressing.

"We'll be giving him up until the last possible minute on Friday but we're very mindful that you don't want to be risking someone like that should they not be 100 per cent ready to go."

Pat McCabe has recovered from a quad strain and will make his Super 14 debut on the right wing.

Wallabies prop Ben Alexander has been passed fit after making a quicker than anticipated recovery from a broken hand.

Former Wallabies lock Justin Harrison will play his first Super rugby match for the Brumbies since their semi-final loss to the Blues in 2003, joining Mark Chisholm in the second row.

Scrumhalf Josh Valentine will make his first appearance against his former Force teammates.

Adam Ashley-Cooper; Pat McCabe, Stirling Mortlock, Christian Lealiifano, Francis Fainifo; Matt Giteau/Matt Toomua, Josh Valentine; Stephen Hoiles (capt), George Smith, Rocky Elsom; Justin Harrison, Mark Chisholm; Guy Shepherdson, Stephen Moore, Ben Alexander. Replacements: Huia Edmonds, Salesi Maafu, Ben Hand, Mitchell Chapman, Patrick Phibbs, Tyrone Smith, Alfi Mafi, Afusipa Taumoepeau.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23210,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 09-02-10 at 08:01.
    Just happy to be here

Veteran
    vCash
    it is a fairly star studded line up isn't it!

vCash
    was pretty obvious that Gits and Elsom would play after all the media "speculation"

they must be nervous!

vCash
    Friend is in a difficult position. Does he play Gits in what will be an intense game against a side who will target him and risk him getting injured/more injured ahead of a punishing trip to south africa, or does he rest him and risk losing a game against another australian side and getting teared a new one in the media.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I am not sure that "targeting" is the right word. There are 10+ guys who know Gits game and moves inside out while only Gits & Valo know the Force inside out.

Force by 6.

vCash
    Brumbies need to win 2 of their 3 matches on the road to get a good start to the season. S14 championships are won by the home team advantage. Friend will be asking do we need Giteau to win on Friday? Because they have two tougher matches following in South Africa and he will be needed to win against the Bulls and the Stormers who are both genuine contenders in 2010.

I spoke with Matt Toomua the other day and he is very keen to play Friday. He looked very relaxed and super fit, ready to go as did Lealiifano... Even if Giteau starts I think we'll see Toomua playing at some point. The Force will face 3 very quick inside backs on Friday with one eye on either AAC and Mortlock. Additionally speedster Franky Fianifo looked exceedingly dangerous in the trial matches.

Additionally Mortlock is going to take on the goal kicking duties for the first match. So the question is who is goal kicking for the Force? With these new interpretation to the breakdown rules in could be a penalty goal festivus. I also assume that the Force coaching staff will be reminding Brownie of what a yellow card looks like…

Player
    vCash
    My biggest concern is Alexander is playing. With him on the field, I actualyl think that they have the advantage in the forwards. And with an advantage in the forwards, that brings Giteau into play. He is an amazing talent on the front foot.

If the Force forwards can get the acendency, then a lot of his talents will be taken out of the equation.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    I also assume that the Force coaching staff will be reminding Brownie of what a yellow card looks like…

Lets see who got Yellow Cards last year?

H Edmonds Brumbies 1
    G Smith Brumbies 1
    G Shepherdson Brumbies 1

vCash
    This team stinks of Wallabies..

vCash
    I rate Christian Lealiifano much higher than I do Gits and if the huge holes open up in the Force's defense like they did last Friday against the Reds Lealiifano will have a field day.

Apprentice Contributor Big Boots's Avatar
    vCash
    I am worried about Harrison. Those big thick white lines are going to be inviting.

Class A , its OK!!!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post

I spoke with Matt Toomua the other day an......

yeah and I spoke to Elvis

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Boots View Post
    I am worried about Harrison. Those big thick white lines are going to be inviting.

Class A , its OK!!!

Lets hope hes flying higher off the field than on.

Retaining possession for long periods of play will be important for the force and strong defence.

Our loosies knows how Gits plays so I hope that will help, especially when he starts crabbing across field.

The battle of the loosies is one contest that Im keen to see.

A trial against the crusaders may have been more useful than the reds.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    It's going to be a tough outing, our best advantage is they are fresh together while the Force having being training as a full fit unit for longer.
    It is a borderline Test selection with only three uncapped players.
    Probably their weaknesses are through Valentine, McCabe and, if Gits doesn't play (or really even if he does) to keep throwing big Forwards through the #10-#12 channel who are pretty lightweight.
    Also run the old legs off of Googie.
    Force can certainly win it but they will need error free Rugby to do it.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by farva View Post
    My biggest concern is Alexander is playing. With him on the field, I actualyl think that they have the advantage in the forwards. And with an advantage in the forwards, that brings Giteau into play. He is an amazing talent on the front foot.

If the Force forwards can get the acendency, then a lot of his talents will be taken out of the equation.
    Alexander isn't 100% recovered and the little fatty isn't match fit. There seems to be only one or two Brumbies in the first XV who have played more than one trial and a handful of others haven't had any significant game time yet.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast