Thread: A World Class Education

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

A World Class Education

The Emirates Western Force is sure to reap benefits from the experience and class of World Cup winning Springbok Andre Pretorius well beyond the current season with the star fly-half committed to educating the club’s emerging talent while he rehabilitates from a season ending hamstring injury.

Pretorius, an astute reader of the game, is enthused about passing on the knowledge he has acquired in 31 tests for South Africa and 69 Super Rugby appearances.

While the reality of not being able to take his place on the field this season still stings, the star back has turned his attention to finding other ways of assisting the Emirates Western Force achieve a positive 2010 campaign.

“Life goes on, it (the injury) is in the past now and you have to look forward,” Pretorius said on Saturday.

“I’m definitely going to stay here. I’ve been committed from the start to the Force and I’d like to end it like that. I signed a one year contract and I want to see that out and help any way I can.

“I’ll probably get involved with some of the youngsters, maybe with the academy. I’ll definitely be involved in strategy with the senior team as well,” said Pretorius.

What seemed like an innocuous movement during training ended in tragedy for the Force marquee with a torn hamstring requiring surgical reattachment and at least three months on the sidelines.

Despite being a long way from his home town of Johannesburg, Pretorius isn’t looking for an early exit and will remain in Perth for the duration of the Super 14 season.

“It really didn’t feel like I sacrificed a lot to come here because it was going so well,” Pretorius said.

“I do miss my friends and my family, my Mum and my sister, but it really didn’t feel like I was sacrificing a lot to come over here because the move was made easy by RugbyWA.

“I’ve made some great friends since I’ve been here. The really disappointing part for me is that I’m not going to play rugby with them.

“I’ve enjoyed seeing the work ethic of young boys, enjoyed seeing the work ethic of really experienced guys and if that is anything to go by then this will be a successful Super 14 season for us.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Andre is not new when it comes to coaching

http://www.iskills.co.za/

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    A great spin off too is that Andre is now a walking (limping?) talking billboard amongst his peers who may consider the move in the future.
    I won't chuck a random percentage at it but I really believe that a great deal of his value has already been realised for the Force.
    I hope he will continue to enjoy the same level of warm hospitality despite his change in circumstances and regardless of never going to play SRugby for us.
    Just posted elsewhere but I was quite impressed with these lines:

Pretorius said it was disappointing not to be able to play for the Force in Super 14 but he has committed to staying in Perth for the length of his contract

"I'm definitely going to stay here," he said. "I've been committed from the start to the Force and I'd like to end it like that.

"I'll probably get involved with some of the youngsters maybe with the academy.

I'll definitely be involved with strategy with the senior team.

"I'd like to stay involved for the time that I've been contracted."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    He is going to be a superb mentor for Bart, Sam Harris (and I guess whoever else has flyhalf aspirations) I get the feeling that although Andre is going to be around the club assisting in many way, his special audience will be Bart...