Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Membership facilities

Champion
    vCash
    Would like to see a members tent, I beleive Rugby WA tried to get one organised but TOV wouldn't let it go ahead. There doesn't seem to be many Bars/Cafe's in the area.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiewoof View Post
    OK, got my card yesterday. The included blurb stated what I had expected, predicated and feared. There are NO mebership facilities at ME stadium. As a foundation Gold member who signed up the moment the office opened, I am disappointed with my seat (EEE8) and, with the total lack of facilities. All decent areas have gone corporate. The Glory member's bar is gone, the old Glory member's bar is gone. All that is left is slop-shops around the ground, portable loos and hamburger stalls. I'm not interested in food, but it would have been nice to have somewhere reasonably comfy to sit and have a beer or whatever. At least that I could do at Subi.
    I sat in E7 last night and the footpath between EE6/EEE6 and EE7/EEE7 leads right to the 'slop shops' and 2 bars. When I went to the loo just before half time there was no que what so ever. If you went dead on half time, you sure as day would not have to line up for long. Yes there was only 6000-odd people there but right where we sat was pretty full, so I honestly don't think getting a drink will be a problem..getting up the stairs and not spilling would be a bigger issue!

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewoof
    Here there is nowhere to relax before, during or after the game. I don't generally bother drinking during the game, and from where I'll be sat it would be a waste of time anyway going to one of the slop-shops, at least without helicopter facilities.
    Walk down the stair case, there's a sizeable footpath that people were hanging out on or they walked behind the stands and stood near the bar & had a drink.

The blurb makes much of 'rectangular stadium'. Well, that's all it is. Nothing has changed my mind about this sub-standard ground. From my seat it will be far from 'close to the action' or 'intimate', I'm just as far from the action as I was at subi, with the ony difference being elevation. I acknowledge that the corporate dollar is needed, but frankly, Gold members have been crapped upon, we are paying big bucks for base facilities. Unless there is a decent stadium built very very soon (not just in pipe-dream words) then I reckon the Force will continue to lose members.
    Its very much closer to the action. If you wanted front-row then you have to pay more. I sat in the front row at Subi and I'm in the third tier at the south end at MES and I will be closer in the third tier than I was in the front row at Subi!
    As for intimate, it is, I guarantee you!! You will leave at the end of the season being a little closer to the person you're sat next to. As for being as close as you were at Subi, the only thing between you and the field are spectators and a fence, not the bloody great curves from the edges of an oval, a fence and a few supporters at Subi. In regards to a decent stadium, they've been fighting for one. There's only so much the club can do with their budget. The government is the difference between us getting a new stadium, us getting upgrades to MES or us getting shafted. Its just not financially possible for RugbyWA to build themselves their own stadium, I'm sure if they could afford it they would have done it by now!

Sorry to be so negative. I will await the first game with curiosity to see just what it is going to be like from my seat.
    If you're after first class facilities, don't bother going to any sporting ground in WA because you just won't find it. If its all about the view, you have great seats. If its about the beer, drink at a pub & watch on the big screen. Your seats are bloody marvellous and the view is great and the facilities are acceptable...can't ask for much more really. We rallied for so long to get a rectangular stadium and they got us one. We didn't specify that we wanted top class facilities and the government doesn't seem to care about what rugby wants so I guess its just a case of put and shut up or find an alternative but rest assured your seats are quite possibly some of the best in the house.

Last edited by laura; 06-02-10 at 12:44.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tragic View Post
    I'm further away than you - EE12 - and the view is way better than my gold seating at Subi, so I'm not sure what sort of seat you had at Subiaco, but it sounds as though you must have been on the fence.

It is not like Subi where you have to walk for ages and queue longer to get drinks or food. You'll be there and back in no time. No helicopter required (don't know how you got that impression).

I wouldn't mind a big members' tent or the like outside the ground for before and after the game, though. I agree that they should be providing something.
    EE12 is CLOSER then EEE8, which is the third tier, temp stand. It is similar location to my old subi seat in block 104, row Q, but here I am higher and I will get a better view. Yes, I grant you that, but still far from the action. EE12 is the 2nd tier and closer, though not quite as central as EEE8.

Eddie

---------- Post added at 12:40 ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by PerthGirl View Post
    Would like to see a members tent, I beleive Rugby WA tried to get one organised but TOV wouldn't let it go ahead. There doesn't seem to be many Bars/Cafe's in the area.
    In that you are dead right. TOV less than helpful. The lcoality offerings nothing. To my mind, the slop-shop between the stand and Shed should have been demolished, and a cafe/bar built, serving decent drinks in glasses and seats etc.
    Eddie

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    SO what did you think of the game Eddie?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    I sat in E7 last night and the footpath between EE6/EEE6 and EE7/EEE7 leads right to the 'slop shops' and 2 bars. When I went to the loo just before half time there was no que what so ever. If you went dead on half time, you sure as day would not have to line up for long. Yes there was only 6000-odd people there but right where we sat was pretty full, so I honestly don't think getting a drink will be a problem..getting up the stairs and not spilling would be a bigger issue!

Walk down the stair case, there's a sizeable footpath that people were hanging out on or they walked behind the stands and stood near the bar & had a drink.

Its very much closer to the action. If you wanted front-row then you have to pay more. As for intimate, it is, I guarantee you!! You will leave at the end of the season being a little closer to the person you're sat next to. As for being as close as you were at Subi, the only thing between you and the field are spectators and a fence, not the bloody great curves from the edges of an oval, a fence and a few supporters at Subi. In regards to a decent stadium, they've been fighting for one. There's only so much the club can do with their budget. The government is the difference between us getting a new stadium, us getting upgrades to MES or us getting shafted. Its just not financially possible for RugbyWA to build themselves their own stadium, I'm sure if they could afford it they would have done it by now!

If you take a look at Coach's overlay map, you will find that EEE8 and block 104, subi, are exactly the same distance from the field of play. And, take a really good look at ME, the Eastern stand IS a curve, quite large at that and there is a huge area between the touchline and fence. And no, I don't want to sit on the fence. Top few rows of the first tier are the best on that side. EE can be tolerable, EEE too far.

If you're after first class facilities, don't bother going to any sporting ground in WA because you just won't find it. If its all about the view, you have great seats. If its about the beer, drink at a pub & watch on the big screen. Your seats are bloody marvellous and the view is great and the facilities are acceptable...can't ask for much more really. We rallied for so long to get a rectangular stadium and they got us one. We didn't specify that we wanted top class facilities and the government doesn't seem to care about what rugby wants so I guess its just a case of put and shut up or find an alternative but rest assured your seats are quite possibly some of the best in the house.
    Please, what are you drinking or smoking. I have been a regular at ME for some time and know the ground well. The views in some seats are good. Some! Try sitting in the E stand on a sunny day. You can't see the field makings for sun and take a big had else you won't actually see anything. The best is beyond us as they have all gone coroporat. No, my EEE seats are NOT BLOODY MARVELOUS! As for not specifiying a top class stadium, wrong. Force, Glory and the public of WA DOES and DERSERVES a decent stadium with decent facilities. We have amonst the worst in Oz and will remain so as long as people accept mediocracy.

Eddie

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Eddie - you are a glass is half empty or maybe that should be - glass is completely dry kind of a bloke arent you?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackswan View Post
    I guess there are two aspects to the complaints - the seating location and the facilities.

I'm not clear to me as to why one would be disappointed with block EEE8 which is by the half way line ??

Not quite, but a long way from the action.

It would be unreasonable to expect gold seats - regardless of how long one had been a member - to be the best in the house. There is a hierarchy which you may not like but it is corporate/diamond followed by gold, silver etc.

I accept that.

Block EEE8 is pretty much the best gold seats in the house because all of the ones on the lower two tiers near the half way line are either corporate or diamond.

No,the best seats in the house for my thinking, are in W5 which is by the Grandstand, Not too far from the centre (The stand is NOT central, by the way) with reasonable views and sheltered from the westerly wind.

Diamond prices work out at almost $300 more than gold per seat for the season (that's about $50 per match). How much do you think the corporates have to pay for their seats ? If you wanted to sit in a lower tier block nearer the 25 yd line then you could have requested a move.

I'm not arguing that, I acknowledge the point.

As for the facilities then clearly there isn't a members bar but what was provided last night was pretty good - certainly much better than Subi.

Ever go to the Subi clubrooms?

No problem getting a drinkable beer (3.5%) and with Northbridge just a 20 minute walk away with lots of options for eateries. We were at the Brissie both before and after the match and that was fine =- beer was good, food was good, and the "scenery" was even better

Who the hell wants to walk 20 mins to Northbridge late afte a game. But I acknowledge that I have other reasons to stay in situ after the game.

Change implies that there is a difference - we can either view the differences with a positive outlook or otherwise ...........
    Eddie

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiewoof View Post
    Please, what are you drinking or smoking. I have been a regular at ME for some time and know the ground well. The views in some seats are good. Some! Try sitting in the E stand on a sunny day. You can't see the field makings for sun and take a big had else you won't actually see anything. The best is beyond us as they have all gone coroporat. No, my EEE seats are NOT BLOODY MARVELOUS! As for not specifiying a top class stadium, wrong. Force, Glory and the public of WA DOES and DERSERVES a decent stadium with decent facilities. We have amonst the worst in Oz and will remain so as long as people accept mediocracy.

Eddie
    Wow, way to be offensive!
    When do you propose they will be playing on a sunny day? The earliest any game is played this season is 6.05pm, the sun will hardly be the biggest issue by that time.
    Corporate pays more for their seats, do you honestly expect they were going to give the highest paying patrons the crappest seats in the stadium? NO!
    Well, I will trade seats with you anyday, for what's on offer your seats are sufficient for watching a game of rugby and far better than Subi.
    When peitioning and complaining we asked for a rectangular stadium and that's exactly what we got! Yes, after that we asked for upgrades and we asked for a new stadium to be built in place of MES and we asked for all we could but at the end of the day RugbyWA is one entity and they don't have billion dollar operating budgets that they can just knock up a new stadium for us. They did what they could and if its not enough then tough. Yes, we do deserve more and they're inevitably working to get more but there's only so much they can do when the government is not supporting their proposals or giving them the funds. No one is accepting mediocrity, we're taking what we can get for the time being. No one has stopped whinging or complaining or fighting for more. We're not laying down and taking it, but we have to show some gratitude for what they've given us and at the end of the day its about the rugby. Like I said before if you want top class facilities don't bother going anywhere in WA, especially if its in relation to anything other than AFL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    So now instead of "any seat at MES is better than the best at Subiaco" is becoming "most will be better off but don't mention if you got shafted".
    Bloody fickle bunch aint yah
    No, not at all. I just don't see how you think you got shafted, is all.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    I'll make my comments after I have been there and experienced it for myself in 6 days time.

vCash
    if all this bullshit about my seat is shit continue we will end up without a Force
    Look at the positives and maybe a way to how to make it better not how to break it down by saying it is crap. If you don't like your seat give it to me I will find someone who will like it.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    The viewing will be far superior for most c/f Subi,for which we must be grateful
    however the facilities are very poor.
    the only advantage of being a member is a seat.
    What other benefits Are there for members?
    the fact that I still havent received my membership card( when my seat allocation was known weeks & weeks ago)reflects poorly on the administration of Rugby WA

The sooner a new rectangular stadium with facilities that justify the fees we pay,is built the better
    hell will probably freeze over first!

vCash
    I spoke to Darryl about seating allocations some weeks ago and I have no doubt that the membership guys have tried really hard to be fair and equitable. They have had a number of judgement calls to make which may not coincide with everyones views but they have done their best in difficult circumstances.

Maybe of most interest would be -

(a) seating was allocated according to the length of membership in the particular category (eg Gold) and strictly in the order in which individuals had become members in that year. ie those who had joined as gold members in 2005 would be allocated the 'best seats' in the gold category in the chronological order in which their applications had been received in that first season.

(b) the team made the judgement that elevation a bit further away was better than being a bit closer to the field but at a lower tier.

That second one is obviously a source for contention and may explain some of the disappointment felt. However, seating allocations were notified some weeks ago and we all had an opportunity to request a change before the cards were issued.

The number of seats in the various categories at MES are shown below.

Diamond 940 say 1000
    Gold 4760 say 4800
    Silver 5080 say 5100

Gold seating is split as follows -

3rd tier east stand 1280
    2nd tier 860
    1st tier 1440
    1st tier west stand 1180
    total 4760

It's a bit harder to estimate the corporate seating numbers in the west stand but there are 720 in the east stand.

These numbers may have changed a bit following receipt of applications and re-allocations but I suspect they're not far off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    No one is accepting mediocrity, we're taking what we can get for the time being. No one has stopped whinging or complaining or fighting for more. We're not laying down and taking it, but we have to show some gratitude for what they've given us and at the end of the day its about the rugby.
    That's spot on Laura. I don't know that anyone's given RWA anything to be grateful for yet, bar an interest free loan to upgrade the lighting - which is far better than what was there previous. Barney Rubble has said that Rugby, League and Football will get better facilities but has not said what they will be or where. As pollies always do (WA pollies anyway), they are dragging out their due diligence. That usually means if there's an announcement to be made it will be when they can get some votes out of it. Wait-A-while

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    It is a trade off during a transitional period.

Lets hope the transition from adhoc do-it-yourself scaffolding kit stands to salubrious comfy roofed grande stands isn't going to be a long one. Presently no one can argue that it's the taj mahal of stadiums with majestic creature comforts. 'MEB stadium' is a makeshift short term facility providing basic 'comforts'/life support to people watching sporting endeavours on a RECTANGULAR playing field.

I am happier with my seating arrangement (silver) as far as being in a better position than my equivellant at Subi.

I can't and won't defend some of the spartan facilities, and acknowledge there are downsides to the rectangular experience.

Burgs and Eddie are justified in making their comments, after all, criticism and review are essential components in the improvement process. I just hope comments like these, and I'm sure there will be an abundance of similar views, don't fall on unlistening ears. There is a lot of work to go. Merely transferring games to ME is not in itself the fait accompli; it is more like the first step in a long and arduous process to win a decent ground with decent facilities.

It was great being so close to the action that you could smell the linament;
    some may say 'too close to the action' when one of the injured reds almost took up Lonzy's offer to help ice his pecs.... But that story belongs in another thread...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast