Thread: Rebels coach Rod Macqueen wants his recruits to be cultured

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Rebels coach Rod Macqueen wants his recruits to be cultured

Rebels coach Rod Macqueen wants his recruits to be cultured

By Melissa Woods
    February 03, 2010 Melbourne Rebels coach Rod Macqueen doesn't want mercenaries, creating unique player contracts at the new Super Rugby franchise to ensure recruits don't put cash before culture.
    Not only will players commit to the Melbourne-based pro rugby franchise, they must also formally commit to the local community through links with a school, a charity, a business and a rugby club.

"One of the things we are talking to all of the players about is the importance of the culture within the Rebels side, giving back to the community is very much a part of that," Macqueen said.

"There will be four obligations in their contract, one to a school, a club side in Melbourne, the other is to a business and the other is to a charity of their choice."

He said feedback from prospective Rebels had been 'very positive'.

"I think it's something that the players actually want."

Macqueen said he wasn't aware of any other rugby organisations with such clauses in their contracts.

The former World Cup-winning Wallabies mentor Macqueen was lured out of a near-decade long retirement to take on the role as head coach of the Rebels, who join the expanded competition from 2011.

"I'm a great believer in the balance in life, I believe people are able to perform to the best of their ability by having a balance and I think this is a step toward that."

Meanwhile, Rebels assistant coach Damien Hill and consultant, former Wallabies coach John Connolly, have found a European recruitment tour tough going, suggesting most of their ranks will have to come from somewhat closer to home.

General manager of operations Greg Harris said the Rebels were under pressure time-wise and financially in their bid to attract players from the northern hemisphere.

"We had a debrief with (Hill and Connolly) after they got back about what the market is there and what players might be available.

"We've found the timing of all this has been very difficult because the players over there are currently being pressured to finalise their arrangements for next season because it's near the end of their season.

"We've got a very small window to be able to try and secure any players we're looking at."

The Australian Rugby Union granted the Rebels a recruitment concession of 10 foreign players however Harris said established players were part of a 'very expensive market'.

"Realistically most of the players look at moving from here to the northern hemisphere because of the financial opportunities."

Harris said while players were interested in playing for the Rebels, the challenge was getting them to move "half the way across the world for half the money".

The other factor is the looming 2011 World Cup, with any European player harbouring a desire to play for their country unlikely to shift to Australia and away from the eye of the national coach.
    AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23217,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Apprentice
    vCash
    Forcing emerging players to play for “a club side in Melbourne”, if that is what is intended, would simply repeat the mistake the Western Force initially made. Playing in a low standard competition will do nothing to develop their rugby.

It will make little difference for those who are regular members of the playing squad, given that the Super 15 and club compdetitions will be virtually coextensive.

vCash
    Might be handy for the local clubs come finals time though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
    Forcing emerging players to play for “a club side in Melbourne”, if that is what is intended, would simply repeat the mistake the Western Force initially made.
    Given that the S15 competition will run until about August, how would you suggest RugbyWA handle things in 2011?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Given that the S15 competition will run until about August, how would you suggest RugbyWA handle things in 2011?
    <Insert generic claptrap about the ARU running roughshod over Sydney club traditions>

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I would think that they should allow players to compete in the club comp of their choice. It appears that there was some good feelings about the Sydney club stuff, but I've heard Kieran would have preferred to play in Perth. If you put the players where they WANT to be, you're more likely to retain their services, and some will choose Perth, thus strengthening the local comp

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    Im not sure if having links to a club means that they have to play for that club, its not that clear to me. Some of the force boys have links to WA clubs yet play for sydney clubs.

It would become a sticking point for some players if they are forced to play in the melbourne club comp especially if they are wallabies trying to retain their spots, or trying to impress deans and co.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I would think that they should allow players to compete in the club comp of their choice.
    I'll rephrase my question and put it to you then GIGS. Do you reckon it's feasible to do that given that the S15 will run until about August? It would mean Force players making a weekly trek to Sydney, excepting where the playing squad are in ZA or NZ for a couple of weeks, if that's where they prefer? Seems to me there is more downside in that than the alternative.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
    Forcing emerging players to play for “a club side in Melbourne”, if that is what is intended, would simply repeat the mistake the Western Force initially made. Playing in a low standard competition will do nothing to develop their rugby.

It will make little difference for those who are regular members of the playing squad, given that the Super 15 and club compdetitions will be virtually coextensive.
    There may have been a bit of initial idealism Bruiser, but my understanding was that that wasn't the key reason players were kept here for the first couple of years. They were kept here because the majority of them needed significant physical development to lift them to Super 14 standard and, Wallabies aside, that wasn't going to happen if they weren't kept under the control of the club. From memory it was only after the 3rd year pre-season that Mitchell announced himself happy that the players could manage their own fitness during the Super off-season, so that last year they could play wherever they liked. Fairly fortunate timing, seeing as it coincided with the ARU "encouraging" players to play in Sydney.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I also believe the strength and conditioning team also went to Sydney and set up a gym over there and managed all the Force players who were playing in the Shute Shield as well as bring Dunning back up to pace.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah, I agree with Cookie, he didn't say play he said linked to.
    So perhaps that is more likely to mean one training per week, go and watch matches when available, mingle with the members and spread the goodwill type thing.

I like the concept and it won't be forced on anyone, if you want to play for Melbourne then you want to be involved with the community, pretty simple really.

With regard to recruitment, I'm starting to think that for long term success they would be better off going to the likes of Craven Week (and the other equivilents) with a fist full of dollars and luring some each country's young stars before they are contracted. Have an eye for the next JO'C, Genia, Bam Bam or, more importantly, Zac Guildford, Aaron Cruden, Leigh Halfpenny, Kristian Phillips, Benjamin Fall, Mathieu Bastareaud or Pieter Rademan.
    Give them a one year contract with a three year extension and see how they go.
    After one year it will be known if they are the real deal or not.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    [B]
    General manager of operations Greg Harris said the Rebels were under pressure time-wise and financially in their bid to attract players from the northern hemisphere.
    Did I miss something?
    Is this "our" Greg Harris?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Yep - apparently he has promised to recuse himself from contract negotiations with Force players, promises he didn't take any contractual info with him and that he and the Force have a "trust situation" (?).