Thread: Thirteen-try victory for HSBC Waratahs in Orange

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Thirteen-try victory for HSBC Waratahs in Orange

Really can't see too much benefit in such a one sided romp, would have been better served as the first match of their pre-season I would have thought as it's going to take a huge change in mind set now to step up to the Brumbies.
    Interesting to see Beale at #12 and good to hear Nadolo is playing well.
    Apart from that it really sounds like a contact training session.

Thirteen-try victory for HSBC Waratahs in Orange

Saturday, 30 January 2010
    NSWRU Media Unit

The HSBC Waratahs took another step in their preparations for the 2010 Super 14 season with a comprehensive 83-15 victory over the Fiji Warriors at Wade Park in Orange.

A strong crowd of 6623 turned out to see NSW score 13 tries to two, with coach Chris Hickey able to test a number of combinations with a total of 29 players used across the four quarters.

Tom Carter opened the scoring in the sixth minute after the Tahs backs put the ball through the hands following a break by rampaging wing Nemani Nadolo.

The forwards followed up with a try of their own through Al Baxter, before Koroi Yavala kicked a penalty to put the visitors on the board.

The midfield pairing of Berrick Barnes and Kurtley Beale was working well, and it was the latter who laid on the final try of the first quarter by putting Tatafu Polota-Nau into a gap.

Nadolo kept up his bustling running in the second stanza and was rewarded with a try early on, and when Beale backed up to score after some more strong play through the backs, the Tahs led 33-3 after 30 minutes.

The back three stayed in the action with Peter Betham crossing, before receiving a great ball from Sosene Anesi to score a second right on half-time.

A new look team took the field in the second half, however the momentum remained with the boys in blue when Adam D'Arcy streaked away to score with his first touch of the ball.

The forwards again wanted in on the action and crossed off a driving maul from a lineout through Damien Fitzpatrick, before rookie backrower Chris Alcock scored two more tries late in the quarter.

The Fijians didn't give up however, and captain Anthony Wise crossed after the best sustained piece of pressure from the Warriors early in the final quarter.

Josh Holmes and D'Arcy scored the Tahs' final two tries, before Manoa Tamava scored just before full-time to leave the final score at 83-15.

The HSBC Waratahs return to Sydney on Sunday with a short turnaround before their final Super 14 trial against the Brumbies this Thursday at Viking Park in Canberra.

HSBC Waratahs 83 (Peter Betham 2, Chris Alcock 2, Adam D'Arcy 2, Tom Carter, Al Baxter, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Nemani Nadolo, Kurtley Beale, Damien Fitzpatrick, Josh Holmes tries; Berrick Barnes 4 cons, Daniel Halangahu 4 cons, Brendan McKibbin con) d Fiji Warriors 15 (Anthony Wise, Mano Tamava tries; Koroi Yavala con, pen) at Wade Park, Orange.
    1/4: HSBC Waratahs 19-3; 1/2: HSBC Waratahs 43-3; 3/4 HSBC Waratahs 71-3.
    Referee: Nathan Pearce.
    Crowd: 6623.

By the clock

6th - Tom Carter try; Berrick Barnes missed conversion. HSBC Waratahs 5-0
    12th - Al Baxter try; Berrick Barnes conversion. HSBC Waratahs 12-0
    15th - Koroi Yavala penalty goal. HSBC Waratahs 12-3
    20th - Tatafu Polota-Nau try; Berrick Barnes conversion. HSBC Waratahs 19-3
    26th - Nemani Nadolo try; Berrick Barnes conversion. HSBC Waratahs 26-3
    29th - Kurtley Beale try; Berrick Barnes conversion. HSBC Waratahs 33-3
    37th - Peter Betham try; Berrick Barnes missed conversion. HSBC Waratahs 38-3
    40th - Peter Betham try; Berrick Barnes missed conversion. HSBC Waratahs 43-3
    43rd - Adam D'Arcy try; Daniel Halangahu conversion. HSBC Waratahs 50-3
    48th - Damien Fitzpatrick try; Daniel Halangahu conversion. HSBC Waratahs 57-3
    55th - Chris Alcock try; Daniel Halangahu conversion. HSBC Waratahs 64-3
    60th - Chris Alcock try; Daniel Halangahu conversion. HSBC Waratahs 71-3
    64th - Anthony Wise try; Koroi Yavala conversion. HSBC Waratahs 71-10
    69th - Josh Holmes try; Brendan McKibbin missed conversion. HSBC Waratahs 76-10
    76th - Adam D'Arcy try; Brendan McKibbin conversion. HSBC Waratahs 83-10
    80th - Manoa Tamava try; Jonetani Ralulu missed conversion. HSBC Waratahs 83-15

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Agreed - here's hoping that they are underdone for the Reds in round 1.

vCash
    Are they playing another trial, or is that it for the pre-season?

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Are they playing another trial, or is that it for the pre-season?
    Brumbies on Thursday

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Jeez I don't know who I want to win that one. I hate them both so much.....I think the Tahs need to go down, so the Brumbies think they don't suck so much when they come here for their reality check!

C'mon the

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Jeez I don't know who I want to win that one. I hate them both so much.....I think the Tahs need to go down, so the Brumbies think they don't suck so much when they come here for their reality check!
    Maybe if the Brumbies win in a hard way so they are tired for us. Or perhaps Tahds keep going with their ugly play, then when Brumbies meet the they won't be used to it.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    You don't want it to be a hard match. Playing a non-match hardened Brumbies with George Smith and Matt Giteau not having played any trial games would be much easier than if the team had a game or two under their belts. You don't get tired after one trial.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Would rather beat a full-strength team in prime condition...makes for less excuses as to why they lost.

vCash
    The excuses will come anyway Laura, how else do you justify spending the gross national product on an underperforming stable of superstars!

Matter of fact, that could be the ploy all along. Gits has said he plays ten or nothing and they're cooking up a story for why he sucks.......Yeah Gits is the best player in the world, but he's been hit with a niggling Quad injury which has made him less than his best all year, that's why we're 12th at the end of the season. We're still playing him because an 80% fit Matt Giteau is still better than a 100% Matt Toomua (After which Toomua signs for Melbourne or Perth)

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    So long as they bash the crapper out of each other I don't really care who wins

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.