Thread: Back to Ballymore good for Reds: Horwill

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

Back to Ballymore good for Reds: Horwill

By Laine Clark, AAP January 26, 2010, 1:19 pm

Queensland rugby captain James Horwill believes their upcoming matches at Ballymore may be a test case for not only the Reds but also A-League outfit the Brisbane Roar.

Horwill can not hide his excitement over the Reds returning to their spiritual home for two matches - Friday's trial against the Crusaders ahead of a Super 14 clash with the Blues on February 27.

And he believed more Reds games should be held at Ballymore rather than their regular homeground Suncorp Stadium - if the two matches proved a hit.

"It's a very special place for Queensland rugby, and I think it would be good if we got a number of games back here," he said.

"You remember growing up and coming to Ballymore.

"I think it is something the crowds will look forward to, and I hope they get a taste for it."

A-League club the Roar also uses the 52,000-capacity Suncorp Stadium as their homeground, but have attracted less than 6,000 fans to some games.

It is believed Football Federation Australia have taken over negotiations in a bid to secure the Roar a better tenancy deal with Suncorp Stadium.

But Horwill believed the Roar may also sit up and take notice if the Reds games at the 24,000-seat venue are successful.

"Definitely. It (more Ballymore games) is something we will have to look at (if it is successful)," he said.

"We will see if we make a profit from it, if the fans come out, and how logistically it works with the traffic - I know that could have been a problem previously.

"So that's some things we have to work out."

Horwill said of their current Suncorp Stadium homeground: "We don't dislike it - it's one of the best rugby grounds in the world.

"But it's a 50,000-seat stadium, and if you have only got 20,000 in there it does look a bit empty.

"But if we had 20,000 here (Ballymore) they would be hanging from the rafters."

However, a more permanent move to Ballymore by either the Reds or the Roar appears a long way off with the venue's facilities needing a major overhaul.

The QRU have development applications before the Brisbane City Council regarding a $100 million upgrade.

But it obviously has a special place in the heart of rugby fans - even former NSW Waratahs prop Ewen McKenzie, who is now the Reds coach.

"Ballymore is one of my happiest hunting grounds - as a Wallaby I never lost a Test here," he said.

"And no doubt, it's very near and dear to a lot of Queensland supporters.

"The inter-state rivalry we slugged it out here - literally - on many occasions.
    "They were great encounters and any opportunity to revisit those traditional derby matches is a great occasion - I am looking forward to it."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    i wrote a article regarding this very topic only last night, have a read

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/is-...-of-qld-rugby/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    By Laine Clark, AAP January 26, 2010, 1:19 pm
    And he believed more Reds games should be held at Ballymore rather than their regular homeground Suncorp Stadium - if the two matches proved a hit.

"It's a very special place for Queensland rugby, and I think it would be good if we got a number of games back here," he said.

But it obviously has a special place in the heart of rugby fans - even former NSW Waratahs prop Ewen McKenzie, who is now the Reds coach.
    I lived in Brisbane in 2005 which is the last time the Reds played at Ballymore. It was the last Super 12 season and I went to each home game - 5 at Ballymore and the Brumbies match at Suncorp. Ballymore was a magnificent venue, albeit a bit out of town but the busses were laid on to get us from town to the ground and back again after the match. A redeveloped Ballymore but one which captured the feel of the old place would be one of the best S14 venues in Australia.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackswan View Post
    I lived in Brisbane in 2005 which is the last time the Reds played at Ballymore. It was the last Super 12 season and I went to each home game - 5 at Ballymore and the Brumbies match at Suncorp. Ballymore was a magnificent venue, albeit a bit out of town but the busses were laid on to get us from town to the ground and back again after the match. A redeveloped Ballymore but one which captured the feel of the old place would be one of the best S14 venues in Australia.
    agreed, the reality is that the current facilities arent up to scratch, namely the corporate facilities but the lack of video screen and old food and beverage facilities are things which need to be addressed as well.

Currently its perfect for things like the QLD Premier Grade finals, but not a regular Super14 stadium.

vCash
    I was at a Force function a couple of weeks back, just before the guys went off to the RSA. I was a bit surprised (but not sure why ) at how keen the guys were to play at MES this season. Chatting to a number of the new faces who have come from over east plus the Wallabies in the team, there was a consistent theme from all on their preferred playing stadia. The reason given was also consistent "you can feel and hear the crowd". Which is consistent with the reason Horwill says Suncorp is ok but a bit big for S14 (52,000 capacity). Similarily Homebush got a big thumbs down (including for Wallabies matches). SFS a big thumbs up for both S14 and Wallabies tests.

vCash
    With all the space WA has... why on earth do "the powers at be" keep focusing on the much needed rectangular stadium close to town! With a rail network and surely Transperth buses both north and south..wouldn't it be practical and cost efficient to build a good size stadium out of town..or is this being too simplistic ... ????

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    With all the space WA has... why on earth do "the powers at be" keep focusing on the much needed rectangular stadium close to town! With a rail network and surely Transperth buses both north and south..wouldn't it be practical and cost efficient to build a good size stadium out of town..or is this being too simplistic ... ????

Maybe at Bindoon since CC's don't hold the concert there any more.

Also, I note that rugby.com.au has us playing Brumbies at Spewbi still....

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    I was thinking more like Joondalup....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    Also, I note that rugby.com.au has us playing Brumbies at Spewbi still....
    I've e-mailed them some weeks back about the error but they obviously don't understand west australian ...........

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Too many big words - got to learn to stick to four letters instead of being creative.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    I was thinking more like Joondalup....
    Most people north of the River complained with the MPS proposal was slated for Cockburn

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I have a couple of spare acres...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Reds return to Ballymore will be a publicity failure... The place is run down, rusted... keep the memories and keep the Reds brand fresh... what a major mistake by a bunch of old dudes... and the captain is marched out to push their cause…

Some need to realize when history has become the past…

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Runner View Post
    Reds return to Ballymore will be a publicity failure... The place is run down, rusted... keep the memories and keep the Reds brand fresh... what a major mistake by a bunch of old dudes... and the captain is marched out to push their cause…

Some need to realize when history has become the past…
    just wandering when the last time you visited Ballymore Runner?

Because unless a lot has changed since last September when i was there watching the QLD Premier Grade finals then its definetly not run down nor rusted. The stadium and facilities themselves are in pretty good shape, there are 2 areas which need to be upgraded and that is the corporate facilities and the scoreboard/tv screen.

Last edited by TOCC; 27-01-10 at 21:03.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I have a couple of spare acres...
    Stop boasting.

I think it's a Good Thing that the Reds are going back "home". We Force supporters should know how it is not to have a proper place to hang your mouthguard.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill