View Poll Results: Rate the appearance (not function/technology etc) of the new Wallaby jersey

Voters
44. This poll is closed
  • 5, Best design ever

0 0%
  • 4, Maybe not a classic but I actually really like it.

10 22.73%
  • 3, Not bad but not sure what all the fuss is about

16 36.36%
  • 2, It's...

13 29.55%
  • 1, Well, I guess it's better than the Reebok one

5 11.36%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New Wallabies Jersey Unveilled

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

New Wallabies Jersey Unveilled

The new Qantas Wallabies jersey, designed and manufactured by Australian sports apparel company KooGa, has been unveiled today.

Technologically advanced – with materials including carbon fibre and hydrosteel used in the manufacturing process – the jersey is the first to be produced under a four-year deal that will continue until the end of 2013 between Australian Rugby Union and KooGa.

Retail orders for the new jumper have also been exceptional both in Australia and offshore where interest extends from Japan to the USA, the UK, Continental Europe, Argentina and the Pacific Islands.

Essentially all-gold, the new Qantas Wallabies jersey has been labelled “virtually indestructible” while also possessing qualities that will significantly enhance a player’s comfort levels.

“The unstinting efforts and enthusiasm of KooGa have been keys to ensuring the Qantas Wallabies have a playing kit for 2010 that we are all delighted and proud to reveal,” said ARU Managing Director and CEO John O’Neill.

In tracing the evolution of the Wallabies jersey, there have been misconceptions that the jumper was always gold.

It was, in fact, more than 60 years into Australia’s Test history before the national team wore the Wallaby Gold on a consistent basis.

From the first series against Britain in 1899 until the outbreak of the First World War, the Australian team wore the Coat of Arms on a sky blue or maroon jersey while blue and maroon horizontal stripes were also used as a variation on occasions.

After World War I, Rugby in Queensland took time to reignite.

Until 1929 NSW represented Australia in Tests.

But when Queensland returned to the fold the national side, for the first time, adopted green and gold as its representative colours.

The Australian jumper in 1929 was emerald green – and stayed that way for some time.

There were changes on occasion.

The Wallabies returned to sky blue in 1933 when they first toured South Africa, to avoid a colour clash with the Springboks.

When South Africa toured here in 1937, the Australians wore white with green and gold hoops through the middle.

In 1938, gold with a green hoop through the middle was trialled against New Zealand because the dark green of the Australian jersey was said to be too close to the black of the All Blacks.

But it was 1961 when what is now considered the “traditional” Wallabies jersey came into being on a fulltime basis.

For another tour to South Africa, the Australian Rugby Union adopted a gold jersey, specifically to avoid a colour clash with the Springboks.

“Obviously the Wallabies jumper of that era is a far cry from where we are today with state-of-the-art, body-hugging, temperature-controlling apparel,” said Mr O’Neill.

“But the Wallaby Gold remains consistent.

“We are enthusiastic about the latest jersey, as we are about the season ahead.

“We have an international program opening with a Test against Fiji in Canberra, followed by a two-Test series against England and a Brisbane showdown with Ireland.

“The Tri Nations series will follow against the Springboks and the All Blacks, with two Bledisloe Cup Tests at home – one in Melbourne and another in Sydney.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    is he soo excited he has a chubby over it?

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    That's not bad actually.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I find it very uninspiring, all they've done is taken out the underwire bra from the last one

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Yeah - uninspired designwise (asthetically) - looks a bit like a t-shirt, I'll like it better if we start winning more But certainly better than the attrocities (Reebok ) of the past.

As long as they have alternative supporters wear - I can live with it.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    There are many jersey variations mentioned in the article, ALL of which are better than this soccer shirt

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I can just wear my Socceroos shirt now!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    That's something I didn't expect admitted to in public Jargs...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    That I own a Socceroo shirt?

I agree that the new jersey is hardly inspiring, I won't be adding it anytime soon, will stick with the 2005 or 2006 one I got (first year with the green side panels)

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    I might get a supporters tshirt version and enhance it with green dye if reqd. Will see what they have though.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Champion
    vCash
    its there training jersey.. thats all it is - should be skin tight like the 2003 England strip, so you can jumper grab in tackles.

vCash
    It's pretty underwhelming. Looks like it was inspired by an Australia day t-shirt from the $2 shop.

Last edited by normie; 25-01-10 at 13:47.

vCash
    I've got a small change which will help to make it all better. Links to jerseys which have tru heritage and honour.

I've mocked it up for you
    Attached Images Attached Images  

C'mon the

vCash
    You've collared it GIGs! 100% improvement.

vCash
    That's all it took, seriously, with a white collar, it looks a bit like the jersey of old, you can ignore the pooncy green piping and carbon fibre whatsits, you can ignore the fact that it's intended to be worn three sizes below skin tight by guys who have abs that......don't look like mine.

I'll order one if they give it a collar!

---------- Post added at 15:38 ---------- Previous post was at 15:37 ----------

Hang on a minute, in posting that, I saw my avatar, and thought. I'll order one if they give it a REAL collar, not some half arsed excuse of a collar like the current one!

C'mon the

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast