Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: force & rebels being called clones?!

vCash

force & rebels being called clones?!

spewing after reading the article on news.com.au about how the force are bad clones of qld and nsw and the rebels will be worse.... amazing how bitter some still are after 4 years.. And how they are now using the forces poor recent results as fuel for their agenda's.. Oh how id love to punch them in their smug faces to wake them up from their delusional attitudes....
    Posted via Mobile Device

http://m.news.com.au/Sport/fi493357.htm#fia493357

for any thats interested.. i know i want 2 mins of my life back...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by zimeric; 09-04-10 at 07:39.

vCash
    Wow, that article seemed insightful until you realise that last year, the shaving cream eater convincingly beat the original.....and the Reds were a basket case.

I'm glad he mentioned the poor recent form of the Reds, because it's apparent that the recovery they've just started only took one year!

This guy's a wanker who's simply concerned that his beloved Randwick, Eastwood or Manly won't have as many professional footballers to play club rugby

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    It's just the opinion of a tosser. Nothing to get all that worked up about. It's obvious he'd prefer there were only 3 teams instead 4/5. By the way it was posted in the Courier Mail which makes him a Queenslander. Considering the Force ripped his team apart signing talent the bitterness is definitely still there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Class View Post
    It's just the opinion of a tosser. Nothing to get all that worked up about.
    That's for sure. Better to laugh it off. Among the worst articles I've read, actually.

Does Russell Barwick write for the Courier mail these days? The article displayed a level of Rugby knowledge comparable to his.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    written by Mike Colman.. whoever he is..

vCash
    Whatever! A shower of shizen as far as a news article is concrned.

I predict that the Rebels will become the "Collingwood' of Oz rugby, despised by all who don't support them.

Why? They will initially field a team to rival the French Foreign legion in it's paucity of locally produced recruits, they will play in a magnificent, brand new state of the art, purpose built stadium, train at sensational modern training facilities, they will have the backing of a huge sports mad supporter base, they will wear snazzy jersey's, they will poach all the pacific islands talent and they will win a few games.... Basterds!

But Clones we will never be! After the Rebels start getting on everyones nerves, the Force will be adored! The Force will always be a peoples team, created from the will and determination of the people, playing in front of passionate (mostly) loyal crowds at crappy venues.
    (although MES is an improvement on Subiyucko, it is, never the less, still a work in progress) Swimming against the tide, pushing the barrow uphill.

So, Mick Colman, take your alleged journalistic extravaganza and ever so gently place it where the sun dare not shine.

Last edited by normie; 09-04-10 at 19:28.

vCash
    so apart from the comment about eating the shaving cream... exactly which point of this article is it that you are all disagreeing with?

He makes a extremely valid point, that by creating more and more teams based on the same player pool that its going to spread the talent, and ultimately there is going to be one or maybe even two teams who are left languishing.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    In the short term sure. You look at the perennially poor teams and you see in South Africa the Lions and the Cheetahs and in New Zealand the Highlanders. Dunedin has 150,000 odd people and you'll always get guys from Dunedin who are talented and local or a couple in the draft who have been underrated but with limited industry down south and everyone seemingly wanting to move to Queensland, they don't have the brightest of futures. As for the Cheetahs, the Sharks are constantly taking all of their talent. Again not that much money in Bloemfontein and it doesn't sound like there is much going on up there compared to Durban down on the coast.

We don't really have those kinds of problems- Perth and Brisbane are experiencing pretty strong growth and Sydney and Melbourne are big enough to be self-supporting. The ACT is a bit vulnerable though in the long run.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    exactly which point of this article is it that you are all disagreeing with?

He makes a extremely valid point, that by creating more and more teams based on the same player pool that its going to spread the talent, and ultimately there is going to be one or maybe even two teams who are left languishing.
    That's what they said about the Force. Admittedly your Reds did it tough for a few years, but perhaps things would have been better had the ARU given us some concessions like the Rebels now have. On balance the Aussie teams are traveling OK five years on. Barring the unusual run of injuries to the Force in Round 1 they could have been thereabouts again.

We are NOT talking about creating more teams with the same player pool. I thought everyone understood that part of reason for expansion was to allow more elite players to be developed. That has happened and the Wallabies seem to be on the rise. Apparently there are at least three people who don't get it.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    What Australia MUST have now (following the fifth team) is a genuine comp to bring the extra "talent" up to the standard required, something like, gee I dunno, an APC...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    We are NOT talking about creating more teams with the same player pool. I thought everyone understood that part of reason for expansion was to allow more elite players to be developed. That has happened and the Wallabies seem to be on the rise. Apparently there are at least three people who don't get it.
    It is creating more teams from the same player pool, there is only so many players within Australia who have the potential to be up to Super14 standard. A team can develop a players potential to reach super14 standard, but you cant make a player a super14 player if he doesnt have the necessary potential to start with.

A third tier would undoubtedly hasten this process, however the disclaimer is that unlike the APC this needs to be done in a way which doesnt alienate the grass roots club rugby in brisbane and sydney.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    this needs to be done in a way which doesnt alienate the grass roots club rugby in brisbane and sydney.
    Ahhh - the old Nimby rule. You can do what you like but don't touch (insert your local parochial club team - eg Sydney Uni).

The truth lies in some of the names who have made it into the Wallabies in recent years who, but for the gaps opened up by the addition of the fourth team, were parked behind other "name" players. There is a list - but look no further than Hodgo!

Short-term pain for long term gain - and yes some of that pain will come to club rugby.

The pool only gets deeper if there are efforts made to deepen it.

Exposure in Perth and Melbourne will, over a period of time, attract those kids who prefer it over other codes - thus adding to the pool. NSW and Qld have had this for a long time - they are getting as much as they are going to.......

I am just waiting for the day that Phil Kearns acknowledges that the future growth of Australian Rugby lies in Perth and Melbourne.

(PS - Ox - is there any prospect in Adelaide or did Don Dunstan poison the soil for generations to come??)

'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

vCash
    Timbo, that's a bit dodgy taking a quote TOCC made about something else and pretending it was a comment about the Force. Agree with your point though.

vCash
    Sorry - my point was not intended to be about the Force but about the development of Rugby across the country - all areas that are ripe for further development - so it applies equally to Melbourne (and perhaps Adelaide, depending on Ox's opinion).

I also see the emergence of players like the Faingaa's being a result of the 4th team - so it helps all teams....

It is more about whether players are only ever going to develop in Brisbane and Sydney ( a la Eddie Jones' statement).

'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    What Australia MUST have now (following the fifth team) is a genuine comp to bring the extra "talent" up to the standard required, something like, gee I dunno, an APC...
    Australian Poker Competition?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast