Thread: Vale Rick Roberts

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash

Vale Rick Roberts

Another stalwart of club rugby has passed away.

Rick Roberts was a long standing and hardworking member of the Cottesloe Club, a referee for many years, an icon of the surf life saving fraternity, a well known builder and building advisor, a family man and a thoroughly like-able gentleman.

Rick served Cottesloe Rugby Club in many administrative capacities over his lifetime and was a key person within the club during their halcyon years in the 80's and 90's.

I recall in particular that when Rick became aware of the then very ordinary nature of Cottesloe's change room and showering facilities in the late 80's, he took it upon himself to design and construct them anew, wearing most of the labour, materials and associated costs himself.

While Rick loved his cherished Cottesloe, he, like the late Eric Hall, was not a one eyed supporter, and was always the first to congratulate or commiserate with other clubs' members and to give a dispassionate assessment of the game.

I knew Rick reasonably well, though not intimately, and I hope some Cottesloe man or woman can expand on the achievements of this remarkable man.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Sympathies to Rick's family, friends and clubmates

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I knew him through my refereeing and his involvement with the Ref's Association.

An absolutely top bloke, with encouragement for all (as FS said), and a thorough gentleman. He'd been looking more & more tired each time I saw him last season, but he was good enough to attend our annual dinner.

A good guy. I'll miss him.