Thread: Rugby Widow’s Big Night Out - INVICTUS

vCash

Thumbs up Rugby Widow’s Big Night Out - INVICTUS

Kids went off to Mum’s. I dressed up. This was my big night. Coach was finally taking me out. And it was not to the Rugby! We were going to see...INVICTUS

...a movie about rugby

This is the greatest Rugby film ever made. That is, it is the only one to have been given the full royal treatment - by Clint Eastwood no less. INVICTUS is based on a true story where reality is more powerful than Hollywood fiction. The film does not disappoint. I left the cinema certain of 3 truths. Nelson Mandela is a demi-God, Clint Eastwood is a demi-God, and Rugby CAN save the world.

As a long time Eastwood devotee, I found INVICTUS to be surprisingly bloodless. This permits the focus to remain on the pertinent issues of Reconciliation and Rugby. The real action takes place on the field, as the 1995 World Cup unfolds, and due respect is paid to nations and players in the tournament itself. Francois Pienaar, champion and captain for South Africa, is played by a convincingly beefed-up Matt Damon. It is the classic tale of triumph over adversity as Mandela becomes President, South Africa wins the cup, and black and white unite in sporting triumph and glory.

Eastwood deliberately references the infamous oppression of the Apartheid era without bloody graphics. Violence is inherent in the film, but it is not visually exploited. Instead, he provides the audience with quiet space for personal reflection on what it would be like to spend 30 years in prison or to live your whole life in a shanty town.

In contrast, INVICTUS is infused with the gentle, forgiving and determined spirit of the inspirational Mandela, brilliantly portrayed by Morgan Freeman. There are small insights to his philosophy at every turn. But make no mistake, this is a Rugby movie and time is devoted to the game. It is an empowering event which leaves the audience feeling triumphant, enriched and hopeful.

Go the Force!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9Ovkye6lac"]YouTube- 'Invictus' Trailer HD[/ame]

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Yeah - it was a good flick. I learned a thing or two about Mandela and South Africa and I was impressed with the rugby scenes also. Whilst the acted scenes may not, and quite possibly could not, truly depict full contact rugby, Eastwood did indeed pay tribute to the game and does it well.

It didn't deleiver in some areas which I tend to think may have more to do with teh editor/studio than either the director or the story, but all in all it is well worth going to the cinema to see.

It was also great to bump into an old friend (from some 20 years ago who we hadn't seen in 7 years or so) at the screening who just happened to be hosting teh night - Many thanks Ashley Morrison of "Not The FOOTY Show" fame (Wednesday's, 6pm - 8pm on radio 990AM) for the evening, and we look forward to catching up with you again - prefereably without the 7 year wait!

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Crikey, Coach took you out AND let you use the computer RW

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran
    vCash
    yeah, i have seen it, very good film. the rugby was almost full contact too, it was good to see actual rugby instead of what hollywood thinks will pass for rugby.

was good to see the giant winger too!

vCash
    really looking forward to seeing it... great to hear so many positives about the film... Clint Westwood has made some great films in the past ten years...