Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Storm CEO Brian Waldron leaves NRL club to join code rival Rebels

vCash

Storm CEO Brian Waldron leaves NRL club to join code rival Rebels

Wow, this is a fantastic signing, the Storm are recognised by players and coaches within the NRL as been the most professional and one of the best run clubs in the country.

He could also be the lynchpin in securing a few signatures off the Melbourne Storm, he does have intimate knowledge of the players contractual status at the Storm

Melbourne Storm NRL chief executive Brian Waldron has defected to new Super 15 rugby franchise Melbourne Rebels.

His position at the NRL club will be filled by the club's former chief operating officer Matt Hanson.

Waldron joins the Rebels, who are set to join an expanded competition next year, after five years with the NRL champions.

The Storm staff, coaches and players were told of his departure on Monday morning.

Hanson was a former chief financial officer of the St Kilda Football Club, and general manager of finance and administration at Etihad Stadium.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...018866,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Wow great news for the Rebels... Strong sound admin will set good foundations for the club... and bring good signings...

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Off to a good start

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I have mixed views about this bloke.

He is a good signing from the point of view that he may bring some Storm players over - in fact I would think that the Storm would be pretty darned worried.

On the other hand, the guy is a loose cannon who shoots from the mouth and often makes stupid statements. He is certainly not one of the most celebrated CEO's at the NRL boardroom meetings.

But here's my real reservation. The Storm have been a very successful club (on the field) over the past 5 years (largely due to fantastic recruiting/scouting, which Waldron is not in charge of), yet they have failed to turn this into serious bums on seats. Their average crowds languish around 10000-11000. Imagine what they would be, if the Storm had a couple of bad years. Further, the "Storm" brand still has very poor traction in the Melbourne market, despite its fantastic on field results.

I think these issues, more than most, are the measure of the success of the CEO. On any objective view, I would say he has failed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tic View Post
    Their average crowds languish areound 10000-11000. Imagine what they would be, if the Storm had a couple of bad years.
    If you compare this to attendance in the NSW heartland of the NRL I'll bet any NSW based team would be delighted with those attendance figures.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    If you compare this to attendance in the NSW heartland of the NRL I'll bet any NSW based team would be delighted with those attendance figures.
    Melbourne - 4,000,000 - one NRL club.

Sydney - 4,400,000 - nine NRL clubs - many who can barely make it out of the bottom 3, let alone making four grand finals in a row.

vCash
    Melbourne - 4,000,000 - one NRL club.

Sydney - 4,400,000 - nine NRL clubs - many who can barely make it out of the bottom 3, let alone making four grand finals in a row.
    Melbourne - 1 NRL and 10 AFL

Sydney - 1 AFL and 9 NRL

76.958% of stats are made up and you can get them tell what ever story you want, but as I said any of those NSW clubs would be delighted with 10,000 each game

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    It's 79.658%...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I have mixed views about this bloke.

He is a good signing from the point of view that he may bring some Storm players over - in fact I would think that the Storm would be pretty darned worried.

On the other hand, the guy is a loose cannon who shoots from the mouth and often makes stupid statements. He is certainly not one of the most celebrated CEO's at the NRL boardroom meetings.

But here's my real reservation. The Storm have been a very successful club (on the field) over the past 5 years (largely due to fantastic recruiting/scouting, which Waldron is not in charge of), yet they have failed to turn this into serious bums on seats. Their average crowds languish around 10000-11000. Imagine what they would be, if the Storm had a couple of bad years. Further, the "Storm" brand still has very poor traction in the Melbourne market, despite its fantastic on field results.

I think these issues, more than most, are the measure of the success of the CEO. On any objective view, I would say he has failed.
    these are the figures that matter TIC,
    The largest audiences for the Storm and Eels showdown were in Sydney, where just over 1.16 million watched, followed by Melbourne (682,000) and Brisbane (563,000).
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1225782913052
    The Melbourne ratings were up nearly 200'000 on the Melbourne - Manly GF in the corresponding year

vCash
    I also like to watch the winter olympics TOCC, but that doesn't mean that I am about to take up ice skating.

vCash
    Anyone else think that tic and TOCC are just opposing personalities of the same person?

Nice bit of positive PR either way though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    Anyone else think that tic and TOCC are just opposing personalities of the same person?
    no

I also like to watch the winter olympics TOCC, but that doesn't mean that I am about to take up ice skating.
    broadcasters and advertisers only care about one thing TIC and thats how many people are watching.. what you do in your spare time is none of there concern

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Sounds like Rod MacQueen is going to be pretty heavily involved so between a highly successful coach and a highly successful administrator it could spell a bit of trouble for those clubs with lots of players off contract in 2010. The only really bad losses we could incur would be Crossy, Shepherd or Pocock.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Rebels could move for Connolly

* By Josh Massoud
    * January 12, 2010 12:00AM

John Connolly, Wallabies, rugby union

Possible Melbourne recruit...former Queensland and Wallabies coach John Connolly. Source: AFP

DON'T be surprised if former Wallabies coach John Connolly follows departing Storm boss Brian Waldron to new Super Rugby franchise the Melbourne Rebels.

After yesterday revealing the Rebels made a discreet approach to Johnathan Thurston, we can now tell you that Connolly was the man who picked up the phone.

Connolly confirmed a Rebels consortium member asked him to contact Thurston's agent Sam Ayoub six weeks ago, but said he'd had no further role in any negotiations.

"I just made the one call on behalf of a friend who wanted to gauge Johnathan's interest about switching to rugby," Connolly said.

Having appointed Waldron as inaugural CEO yesterday, the Rebels are expected to announce their first-ever coach in the very near future.

Speculation thus far has placed Connolly's name below Rod McQueen on the list of possible candidates, but he could still occupy a recruitment or assistant role.

"Nothing's been done (yet) but I'm not ruling anything out," Connolly said when asked if he would be taking a position with the new franchise.

Waldron yesterday said he was unaware of Connolly's role in contacting Thurston.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Never let the facts get in the way of a good story

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast