Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sharpe backs Force signings to make a big impression

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

Sharpe backs Force signings to make a big impression

NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian January 8, 2010, 10:13 am

Western Force's pre-season recruitment, which has seen them bulk up the front row with size and experience, will suit next year's style of Super 14 rugby.

That is the view of Western Force captain Nathan Sharpe, who said his team should pose a major threat at set-pieces.

"Hopefully that size is going to give us some really good superiority at scrum time and line-out time," he said.
    "It's something over the years we've lacked, a little bit of depth in that area. Over the past four years we've adapted to a certain playing style but now we've got a completely new team and you've got to play to your strength.

"I think you'll see a different style of rugby this year."
    Sharpe, who joked that the recruitment of some sizeable front runners had seen the food bill at the club go through the roof, said the law changes would make the game more of a set-piece contest.

"Things will change a little bit but the way we've recruited suits that really well," he said.
    The skipper also echoed the call by Force head coach John Mitchell for the team to show more consistency.

"Look at the performance over the years, we played like world beaters one week and then dipped the next. We have to be consistent week in, week out," he said.
    Sharpe believes the dispensation given to the new Melbourne Super 14 franchise that will allow them to recruit 10 overseas players for the 2011 season is good for Australian rugby.

"It's easy to sit back and be pretty negative about that because that didn't happen when the Force came into inception," he said.
    "The reality is that the depth in Australian rugby is just not big enough at the moment to sustain five teams.

"You want that team to be competitive right from the outset. If that wasn't the case then most people would deem it a bad decision."
    "The way they (the ARU) have gone about it is going to ensure that it is successful and that's a great thing for Australian rugby down the track."

Sharpe is completely recovered from shoulder surgery that kept him out of the Wallabies' northern hemisphere tour and expects to play in the second of two trials in South Africa later this month.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...ig-impression/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Also check out the video stream of a scrum practice with "West TV" - never seen that before - it's good

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    the scrum practice or west tv?

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Mitchell
    Got to love him as a coach
    Live scrum practice. Nothing better than the real thing
    Real rugby coaching is a lost art in Australia. So many bloody video sessions and statistical analysis.
    There's nothing like belting your opponent into submission

Controversy corner

vCash
    Now ya talking business Rex!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Video no longer available..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    Mitchell
    Got to love him as a coach
    Live scrum practice. Nothing better than the real thing
    Real rugby coaching is a lost art in Australia. So many bloody video sessions and statistical analysis.
    There's nothing like belting your opponent into submission
    That's all very well... if mitchell can translate, his coaching style in to a championship contending team.. Where we finish on the ladder is what matters,
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    A heretic
    Let me guess, you don't like coach Mitchell raising his voice at the players, poor little darlings

Controversy corner

vCash
    its not that I dislike the coach, I just don't rate him, lets be honest he had all the resources at his beck and call, and were still an mid table side, if your happy with that rex, good on ya!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I think he's done a remarkable job with the cattle at his disposal
    It would not have surprised me if the Force had come last in each and every season
    Compared with the talent and depth in most other franchises, it is remarkable that the Force were semi final candidates the last two seasons
    He's a great coach
    We're lucky to have him
    Viva la Mitchell

Controversy corner

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah who knows how well any other coach would have gone. Depth has never been one of our strengths and until recently our pack hasn't really been a strong weapon. You can't win the Super 14 without a great pack and there just weren't many options left available in Australia.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Player
    vCash
    In their first season, the Force grabbed whoever they could get to fill their roster, as the ARU didnt really help them out at all, and all the other provinces signed up their players before the Force had a shot (I would have too, cant really blame them). Some of these players developed into champions, and a few were duds. They were always going to finish last.

In the second, third and fourth seasons, the Force signed a couple of marquee players, which was important as it meant that an AFL-centric public had something to follow. When everyone was fit, the team was very strong, but when a few players were injured, the lack of depth really shone through. You cannot win titles without good depth.

Now, the supporter base is there, and there is no need for a few marquee players to draw attention. The team can now settle down and look to build depth. The idea is that the first team will have some really champions in it, but their replacement will not be a step down. There are a few young players at the Force who have the potential to develop into the best in the world in their position, and other players that will develop to be strong super rugby players to support them. The Force will not win this year, and will struggle to be semi final contenders. But in two or three years, I expect them to be up there.

I think John Mitchell is one of the best coaches in the Super 14s, and with the Force sticking with him for an extended period, he has been able to build the team in the way he wants. This will start bearing fruit soon.

vCash
    i fail to see where every one thinks john mitchell is this amazing coach, he's average at best , the stats speak for themselves, 5 years as a super 12/14 coach, finished 6th, 14th, 7th, 8th, 8th in those particular seasons, a mid table coach at best....if you can supply stats that state otherwise i look forward to seeing them.......

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    i fail to see where every one thinks john mitchell is this amazing coach, he's average at best , the stats speak for themselves, 5 years as a super 12/14 coach, finished 6th, 14th, 7th, 8th, 8th in those particular seasons, a mid table coach at best....if you can supply stats that state otherwise i look forward to seeing them.......
    Eddie Jones won a Super 12 title with the Brumbies but brought the Reds to the lowest point in their history. Robbie Deans won a butt load of Super 12/14 titles but hasn't really impressed that much with the Wallabies.

There are a lot of factors to considers when it comes to a coach's performance- the team/culture you inherit as a coach, the players that your franchise/country has available to them (who they can buy), the quality of your assistant coaches, luck.

But there aren't any stats that can take into account those factors. IMHO a truer test of a good coach is whether the fans are happy or not. The fans aren't stupid- they have a fair idea of who is good and who is shit at coaching and if most people (the people whose support is the cornerstone of the club) have faith in Mitch that'll do for now.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast