Thread: My Wallabies are on the right track

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

My Wallabies are on the right track

New captain Rocky Elsom says he liked the attitude of his much-maligned side on his first tour as skipper and that the team's future is bright. He spoke to Josh Rakic.

Q What did you make of your first season as Wallabies captain?
    I did appreciate the motivation of the guys. As far as having your mind on the job, they couldn't be faulted. And that made it a hell of a lot easier for me. There was a perception that we were a long way off the pace when we went over there [on the tour of Japan and Europe], but I think we went a reasonable way to correcting that. The guys showed aggression. They really looked forward to the games and the opportunity to give it to the other team. It didn't all go the way we wanted to, but it wasn't through lack of trying.

Q Did you learn anything about yourself?
    You learn different things as you go along because I haven't really been in that position a hell of a lot. And there are things that you want to get across that you have to be careful with. You can't put too many messages across. You've got to focus on what's good and then try and put it across in a way that is effective. And underpinning that, there's more responsibility on you to play well.

Q Do you want the captaincy again this year?
    I wouldn't say no, but I guess that comes down to if the team's playing well or not. It'd be a lonely job if you weren't playing well because that's your No.1 priority. As long as you're performing well and the team's performing well, you wouldn't think there'd be an issue.

Q So you'll stick with it until the World Cup?
    I don't make these decisions (laughs).

Q You start training with the Brumbies only this week. Will you be fit for round one?
    I have been on holidays but I've been staying in Sydney and training a bit with Wycliff Palu, who was on holidays, too - and various other people. The leg seems to be going well. I haven't got any complaints at the moment, which is always good going into the start of a season. So I'll be right for round one.

Q Did playing on the Wallabies tour make it an easier transition to the Brumbies after a year in Ireland?
    That helped, for sure. There were a couple of guys I didn't get to play with but I've played with most of them before at various levels. So, as much as it's a new team for me, there's a bunch of old faces.

Q As Wallabies captain, are you a shoo-in to assume the captaincy at the Brumbies?
    I don't make those decisions, but it looks like Stephen Hoiles will stay on as captain. And I don't think it'd be comfortable for me or any of the players to come into a brand-new team and automatically be captain - the same goes for Berrick [Barnes] at the Waratahs. But there are definitely positive aspects to not being captain at Super 14 level. I think as a captain you need the support of your players, and if I can offer that support to Stephen as a player in his team then hopefully players will be more supportive of me at international level when I'm captain.

Q Can you see an Australian team having a chance of winning the Super 14 in 2010?
    It's a tough tournament, and this year it's not going to be easy for the Reds and the Force. I don't feel they're going to have too many easy games. It's a difficult tournament, and you have to take your wins when you can. The same goes for us.

It'd be disappointing if we didn't make the finals given the talent, and I'd say the Waratahs would feel the same way. The motivation is certainly there.

Q Can we expect better from the Wallabies in 2010?
    I'm not looking too far forward. I think the team's good. I think we have what we need. I think we need to perform, which is something we knew last year. I feel we have what we need as far as the team goes. I think we developed a bit of an attitude, which was something more along the lines of what we wanted to roll with, where as before it wasn't as prevalent.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...0116-mddx.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    He still isn't striking me as a natural leader, it seems forced or a burden in some way. There's humble and then there's Rocky...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    notice he has written the Force off this season

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    notice he has written the Force off this season
    Yeah I do. Just makes me hope all the more that we give them a belting.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I like being the underdog, it's un-Western Australian to be a favourite

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    this type of puffed up self confidence is gold!

The front row will get pushe upon their asses, the back row will be dominated and Gits will kick the ball to the man all day, Force by two tries, Mudskipper to retain his hair after making the smartest bet he's ever made!

C'mon the

vCash
    "My Wallabies".....that's a bit over-the-top & full of himself, isn't it?! It hasn't taken him long in Canberra to believe all the BS hype.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    While I think the "my wallabies" call might have been the work of an over-excited sub-editor, I was more concerned that his interest in being wallabies captain seems to be tied to if the team is doing well.
    As for writing the Force (and Reds) off before we even start, well, it's getting pretty predictable.
    Good luck with your team of superstars Rocky.. we started last season with a selection of people who thought they were bigger than the team, and look how that went.
    Force by 10.

Last edited by Swee_82; 18-01-10 at 14:32.