Stiring Mortlock fresh, rested and ready to go for 2010

He's fit, he's smiling and he's set to win back his coveted No13 jersey for the ACT Brumbies.

Stirling Mortlock has found his happy place and intends staying there for the entire Super14 season.

A rejuvenated and refreshed Mortlock joined his Brumbies teammates yesterday at their first training session of the year.

The 32-year-old hasn't played since suffering a knee injury during the Wallabies' Tri Nations clash against the Springboks in early August.

That injury, which cost Mortlock a potential nine Wallabies caps, ended a tumultuous year for the veteran.

He was moved from his regular position of outside centre at the Brumbies for the bulk of the Super14 season, his form was widely criticised throughout the year and he lost the Wallabies captaincy to Rocky Elsom.

But Mortlock was all smiles yesterday and confident of a more successful 2010.

"I've come back extremely refreshed, both mentally and physically, and that's how I like it," he said.

"Last season was definitely a frustrating one for me but the thing is, I've been in this situation where I've faced it a number of times before and you just get on with it."

Mortlock was joined by fellow Wallabies Ben Alexander, Mitchell Chapman, Salesi Ma'afu, Tyrone Smith and Matt Toomua in returning to training yesterday.

Stephen Moore, Mark Chisholm, Matt Giteau, Rocky Elsom, Adam Ashley-Cooper and George Smith will return in the next fortnight.

Mortlock played both centres and on the wing for the Brumbies in a chequered season last year.

But he is set to win back his preferred outside centre role in 2010, with Friend hinting yesterday Ashley-Cooper would start the season at fullback.

"I thought last year Adam [Ashley-Cooper] was a quality outside centre, and I still think he is, but the difference this year to last year is Adam didn't see himself in that position then, he saw himself as a utility," the coach said."This year he's said, in the brief conversations I've had with him about it, 'Friendy I want to be a fullback'. He's targeting 15 as his spot so we'll see where we go with that, but he's a fine player."

Mortlock said his preference was to play outside centre but he would be happy anywhere in the team.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...0105-lrws.html