Thread: Mortlock super keen to reclaim No.13

vCash

Talking Mortlock super keen to reclaim No.13

Former Wallabies captain Stirling Mortlock is determined to shake off the frustration of missing Australia's spring tour and reassert himself in his favourite outside-centre position.

Mortlock missed the Wallabies' end-of-year campaign in Japan and the United Kingdom due to a calf injury, having also missed most of the Tri Nations with a knee injury.

The veteran back is set to return to Brumbies training next week.

"My body is good," Mortlock said on Monday.

"Basically from my perspective I will be in rehab for the next week or so just to make sure everything is good to go and progress into full training next week.

"It's definitely been a frustrating couple of months.

"I've been in this situation where I've faced it a number of times and you get on with it.

"It was really good for me to have an extended layoff and a break and some quality time with my family."

After playing in several positions for the Brumbies over the last couple of years, Mortlock was keen to re-establish himself in the No.13 jersey.

While question marks remain about his commitment to the Brumbies and Wallabies beyond this year, Mortlock remains one of the most experienced and well-performed Australian backs at both provincial and international level.

During his absence on the spring tour, Queensland's Digby Ioane and the Western Force's Ryan Cross filled the position.

"I think I only missed playing nine (halfback) and 15 (fullback) for the Brumbies last year. Thirteen is still my preferred position," Mortlock said.

"But it's all about putting the quality players on the pitch. That often means that one or two players will be out of what is their accustomed positions.

"I haven't thought about it at all yet. If I'm not playing 13, then I'd like to think I can still give the team a lot playing elsewhere."

Among the Brumbies's Wallabies tourists who resumed on Monday were forwards Mitch Chapman, Salesi Ma'fu and backs Tyrone Smith and Matt Toomua.

Boom prop Ben Alexander, who consolidated his starting spot in a much-praised Wallabies scrum, wasn't due back until next Monday but lobbed up one week early.

Wallabies forward Mark Chisholm and Stephen Moore return next week, with new recruits Rocky Elsom and Matt Giteau starting with the Brumbies on January 18, along with fellow Test stalwarts Adam Ashley-Cooper and George Smith.

"The key for us in the first few weeks is integrating our Wallaby players back into the squad and bring them up to speed on what we've worked on prior to Christmas," Brumbies coach Andy Friend said.

"We set the goal of being more physical, more powerful and more aggressive and this is a key time to implement that into our play.

"While the staggered reintroduction of our Wallabies does present some challenges, there's no question that they are professional enough to hit the ground running when they return."

http://news.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...0104-lpts.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by mudskipper; 05-01-10 at 11:36.