Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brumbies delay African safari

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Brumbies delay African safari

BY PETER FITZGERALD, RUGBY UNION
    01 Jan, 2010 09:25 AM
    The ACT Brumbies hope a new-look international travel itinerary will lead to greater success in South Africa this Super 14 season.
    The Brumbies will ditch plans of recent years and instead arrive in the Republic just three days before their first of two matches on tour.
    Traditionally teams spend a week in South Africa prior to their opening game in a bid to acclimatise and recover from the flight from Australia.
    But the Brumbies won't arrive in Johannesburg until Wednesday, February 17 for their round two clash against the Bulls in Pretoria on February 20.
    The Brumbies open their season in Perth against the Western Force on February 12.
    Coach Andy Friend believed spending more time in Australia and less in South Africa would assist his players' quest for a successful tour.
    ''I'm of the belief the longer you stay in an area you're familiar with, the better it is,'' the coach said. ''All of our major training will have been done before we head across the ocean. We still have a couple of days to acclimatise and I really think this is the best option for the guys.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...i/1716456.aspx

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    One of the International teams did that this year, how did it turn out for them?

(sorry, fuzzy memory)

C'mon the

vCash
    Wonder if last year's tragedy has any bearing on the decision to keep the boys away from there for as long as possible...could certainly understand if that's the reasoning behind it.

vCash
    Sounds like a sensible decision by the Brumbies management this year as they have only two games in South Africa...

Bulls then the Stromers... Both tough matches however the Bulls are often slow starters...

---------- Post added at 20:24 ---------- Previous post was at 13:51 ----------

The other possiblity is enjoying hanging in Perth after a nice victory... or for someone to help set up the new match committee...

Last edited by mudskipper; 01-01-10 at 20:33.

vCash
    Gits will turn it up
    The Brumbies will struggle so the cash strapped franchise is cutting costs wherever possible

Kangaroo Court is in session..........all rise

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    The other possiblity is enjoying hanging in Perth after a nice victory... or for someone to help set up the new match committee...
    You seem awfully confident Muddy. I watched the 2009 Force v Brumbies game again last night and it was a far from inspiring home game from the Brumbies. Everyone seemed to credit Giteau for the victory but he made 2/6 kicks at goal and was fairly average on the whole. This time you don't have a home game and you have the unrealistic self-belief that Giteau will somehow win the game for you. The tries the Force scored were from excellent forward ball skills (Sharpe and Cowan), weak-assed Brumby defending (Pelesasa making it through 5 tackles), a decent Giteau pass which let Crossy own AAC and flip a sweet pass on to Shep and some other one so immemorable I can't remember it. We have a better front row, a better back row and our locks are better if our thrower isn't- you couldn't beat us at home then what makes you think you will away now?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    They've got a wheelbarrow full of coke for Harrison and Gits is coaching the team.

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    They've got a wheelbarrow full of coke for Harrison and Gits is coaching the team.
    Well at least Harrison will be flying high in the line-outs, not sure if that'll get him any ball or not.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Well at least Harrison will be flying high in the line-outs, not sure if that'll get him any ball or not.
    he'll get white line fever!!...

vCash
    Harrison has been thrown a retirement fund which makes a mockery of the Brumbies development program. A return of some dead wood to Australian rugby is a tragedy for the development of our game

Kangaroo Court is in session..........all rise

vCash
    James Force 2009 victory was a great away win bit the teams lining up in this year match are not anywhere near the same... Brumbies by plenty... Harrison will be a good lineout influence and keep Sharpie on his toes... personally I think sit good to seea few players reutrn to Australian rugby. Hopefully we will see more in coming years...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Everyone seemed to credit Giteau for the victory but he made 2/6 kicks at goal and was fairly average on the whole.
    I remember walking out of that game yelling "You can have him!"

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    I remember walking out of that game yelling "You can have him!"
    Thanks... for your blessing.......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Harrison will be a good lineout influence and keep Sharpie on his toes... personally I think sit good to seea few players reutrn to Australian rugby. Hopefully we will see more in coming years...
    your kidding right, the only reason he is returning to Australia is because he got caught taking recreational drugs and getting in a fight with players from harlequin, Harrison when representing Australia was always a liability, letting his emotions getting the better of him and doing something stupid that would result in a yellow card or a penalty..

good to see he isnt much different in real life

vCash
    I don't mind a little passion on the field in the forwards... Harrison was given a short 6 month suspension which he has served… He is now eligible to play in the UK but he's has chosen to return to Australia. The Brumbies considered it necessary to sign an experienced lock with Pete Kimlin’s enduring injury.
    Harrison is a favorite son of the Brumbies and one of the S12 championship squad so they made him an offer which he happy took. Furthermore Andy Friend knows what Harrison can offer on and off the field. It’s prudently wise of Friend to strengthen any possible weakness he sees in the squad before the start of the 2010 season. Friend likes locks to focus on their main task and not be ball runners. Harrison will perform this role very well and be a good 40-60 minute player which is fine. He’ll bring a little grunt back to the Brumbies forwards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast