Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Locally produced players

vCash

Locally produced players

Hi guys,

I was under the impression that the Force have a fair amount of locally produced talent - that is - not necessarily born in Perth, though, started Rugby in the RugbyWA clubs competition, and were identified / developed via our local developmental streams.

One of my "rugby league" mates thinks differently - (in some poor attempt at making rugby league look better) - so I was wondering if, based on what you all know about our current crop of players, who was locally produced?

This guy reckons "26 of the 34 listed players are interstate/international imports" , though , I was under the impression that atleast 50/50 would be more accurate.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    You are both wrong NH, at this stage there are very few of the Full Contract Squad that WA could "claim" as such.
    By my reckoning to your parameters would be:
    Dane Haylett-Petty
    Kieran Longbottom
    Ryan Tyrrell
    You would get a bit more mileage out of those who hadn't played professionally before coming to the Force and the majority of the Academy are local lads.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    You are both wrong NH, at this stage there are very few of the Full Contract Squad that WA could "claim" as such.
    By my reckoning to your parameters would be:
    Dane Haylett-Petty
    Kieran Longbottom
    Ryan Tyrrell
    You would get a bit more mileage out of those who hadn't played professionally before coming to the Force and the majority of the Academy are local lads.
    My impression was certainly based on the whole alignment with the club (ie: not just the main squad, but so too the Academy boys).

Even so , I hate being wrong. Haha. Granted, I didn't research the point before making it.

Thanks for the response mate.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    In the next 3 or 4 years we hope the Force will be about 1/3 WA based players which will be great.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I saw that discussion elsewhere

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Too optimistic?

vCash
    The original dicussion between Nicholas and his Rugby League "mate" was what I saw, not any discussion regarding the possibilty that the Force will be 1/3 West Aussie (I'm with you on that)

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    At least Nicholas knew where to come to get the answers

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    The original dicussion between Nicholas and his Rugby League "mate" was what I saw, not any discussion regarding the possibilty that the Force will be 1/3 West Aussie (I'm with you on that)
    I'm with you guys! Its not unreasonable to expect the local talent to start pushing through. It will only be encouraged by having more Force squad members playing locally; and, demographically it is very feasible!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by normie View Post
    I'm with you guys! Its not unreasonable to expect the local talent to start pushing through. It will only be encouraged by having more Force squad members playing locally; and, demographically it is very feasible!
    Looking at the academy they seem to have lots of props in the pipe-line (Cruze Ah-Nau, Oliver Hoskins and Siliva Siliva) couple of years off the Super 14 but if you did have all three plus Longbottom thats 4 WA props right there. It'd be great to see a few more locks/hookers in the academy given our current shortage though.

Player
    vCash
    Nicholas, your Leaguie mata argument is moot regardless of how many of the current squad are WA produced. One, because it takes time to build depth and over the next 5 or so years more and more of the local talent will filter on through. And two, what is he comparing it to. The local RL comp in Perth is dwarfed by Rugby and there is no professional team. And to be honest, he doesn't really think more than a token amount of WA League players would be in that team if it did arrive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Class View Post
    The local RL comp in Perth is dwarfed by Rugby and there is no professional team. And to be honest, he doesn't really think more than a token amount of WA League players would be in that team if it did arrive.
    Maybe so, but I can name (off the top of my head - could be more) 8 ex WA juniors who are currently playing in the NRL or Pommie SuperLeague. There were also at least 4 who played for the Western Reds (as a personal interest to you, seeing as you're a Karratha Mungo - one of 'em played his first "1st Grade" match as a 14yo for the Roosters - and he was up to it.).

Seems there's a good chance there could be more local talent in a Mungo team if they started right now.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    We want names to test your authenticity
    Most of the dingers playing NRL wouldn't be able to play in the toughest provincial rugby tornament the world has ever known
    I advocate a mungo-free policy

Kangaroo Court is in session..........all rise

Player
    vCash
    Is the quality of the WA comp at a point where a significant number of players will start coming through? I have heard that plenty of players from the East have headed over to try and get academy contracts, hence boosting the quality, but you cant get a good super rugby squad together if the feeder league is average. That is why most of the Force players are over in Sydney when the S14 is over.

Having said that, I would love if the team was predominantly WA locals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ethicist View Post
    We want names to test your authenticity
    Reds.
    Jon Grieve, Luke Goodwin, Matt Geyer - recruited from Freo Roosters so we'll claim him, James Goulding, John Wilshire + his twin brother,
    Adrian Barich?

Present.
    Daniel Holdsworth, Bryson Goodwin, Bronx Goodwin, Grayson Goodwin, Corey Patterson, Matthew Peterson, Lee Te Maari, Brent Crisp. Think John Wilshire is still going around for Salford too.

Lord Ted knew how to pass on the genes. Another one, Leon was at the Dogs for a while as well.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast