McIsaac

Tai McIsaac has been the quiet achiever of Australian Rugby for a number of years. For a man who started playing at an unusually late age, big Tai has achieved great things. At age 34, the big fella has decided that the 2009 Super 14 will be his last. Omar recently interrupted Tai in between Uni classes to discuss his successful career as well as his plans moving forward.

Your story has been different to most players. When did you start playing?
I started playing rugby for the first time at age 24 and made the Reds squad on my first professional contract at age 27. Prior to staring rugby I played Water Polo at a representative level. I am now 34 years old and feel that it is time to give high level sport away.

How does the body feel at 34?
The body actually feels really good, which is the main reason I wanted to retire. I wanted to retire before I started developing a whole lot of back and neck injuries which often happens to front rowers as they get older.

Was there any temptation to head overseas to play?
There was no temptation this time around. During my last contract re-negotiation two years ago, I looked around at options in the UK but decided to stay with the Force. Reflecting on that decision now, I’m glad I stayed.

What does the future hold for Tai McIsaac?
Hopefully a good career in coaching, initially in Japan and then perhaps look at other options. I want to learn in assistant coaching roles for a number of years before I even think about taking on a head coaching role. Also, I have been studying to become qualified as a teacher and look forward to using these skills.

Who is the toughest opponent you’ve faced?
It’s too difficult to narrow it down to one. The guys that spring immediately to mind are Kevin Mealaamu, Bismark du Plessis and Anton Oliver. They all have different attributes and I respect them for different reasons.

What have been some of the funniest moments in your career?
Generally speaking, the last four years in Perth have been a lot of fun with some really funny characters involved. Guys like Rudi Vedelago, Luke Doherty and AJ Whalley have been very entertaining people to have around. Whilst the first two have moved on, AJ has remained a solid and popular member of the Force squad.

How would you explain the Force season this year?
It’s been very ‘hit and miss’ and very inconsistent. It’s incredibly frustrating because we saw this year as a real opportunity to stamp our authority on the competition, given the mix of experience and young talent we have in the squad. This year looked more promising than previous years or potentially years to come, so it is disappointing not to be sitting higher up on the ladder.

Who do you see as the next generation of stars in Australian Rugby?
It is a lot easier for me to comment on the guys that I see day to day and who I can consistently watch train and play. (David) Pocock and (James) O’Connor are two guys who I see as being a big part of the next generation of rugby.

Thanks for your time Tai. I wish you all the best with your transition into a coaching career.

http://www.rupa.com.au/ArticlePage.aspx?PageID=2401