Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force coach Mitchell promises more pain

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

Force coach Mitchell promises more pain

Western Force players have gone through nine weeks of blood, sweat and grunt in pre-season training - but coach John Mitchell has warned there's a lot more to come when they return from their Christmas break.

"The kitchen is only starting to heat up," he said.

Mitchell only gets his full squad together for the first time when the club's Wallaby representatives join training on January 4 - just 19 days before their first trial against the Stormers in Cape Town.
    "There is a lot to do in those 19 days." Mitchell said. "Some people don't appreciate that we don't have our whole squad together until after Christmas.

"We're not like other codes where everyone comes together from day one."
    Mitchell said players had put in a huge effort, with some completing 60 weight sessions on top of their other workload.

"The boys have been fantastic," he said. "They have built a foundation individually but it gets exciting when we finally get together as a team."
    Mitchell is not a fan of long pre-seasons but said: "Our club competitions finish early, earlier than the other two Super 14 countries (New Zealand and South Africa) so we have to cater for that.

"We have to start conditioning earlier or we miss out on the benefits when it comes to the physical aspects of the game. The guys have got a really good work ethic. There's a real openness to learn and they've turned up to work every day."
    When the full squad assembles next year Mitchell does not expect to see players carrying Christmas kilos.

"As internationals we expect them to take ownership and pride in who they are," he said.
    He said the addition of experienced players like Andre Pretorius, Brett Sheehan, Mark Bartholomeusz, Nic Henderson and Tim Fairbrother to the squad and captain Nathan Sharpe and full-back Cameron Shepherd recovering in Perth had added maturity to training.

There had also been a strong focus on managing injuries to players like Sharpe, Shepherd and winger Nick Cummins.
    "It's a balancing act by team management. They are problems that you are dealt with and it is up to you to get the players ready," Mitchell said.

After the Stormers, the Force take on the Sharks, also in Cape Town, three days later. They play the Queensland Reds in a trial at ME Bank Stadium on February 5 before opening the season at home against the Brumbies the following Friday.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...ses-more-pain/ Just in case TWF keeps preventing the proper linking from working.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Rookie
    vCash
    Heard it all before. Every Super14 team will have a similar article in their local papers.

The Waratahs are world beaters every year at this time according to the Sydney journos, most of whom know bugger all about rugby union to start with. The league press usually have to mention a rugby league player or two in their articles so their readers have a point of reference.

[Not to the point but I saw Karmichael Hunt play union the other day. He didn't look like much, but it's been a while since he played our game. I hope cuz Stephano plays better when he gets a chance]

vCash
    yeah - but after months w/o a steady rugby content in our local rag - it's brilliant to see - and actually I really believe that they have actually got a TEAM this year so Mitchell is probably quite enjoying himself at the moment

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    yeah - but after months w/o a steady rugby content in our local rag - it's brilliant to see - and actually I really believe that they have actually got a TEAM this year so Mitchell is probably quite enjoying himself at the moment
    Maybe its because they've got Sam Harris writing about pre-season but it does seem like everyone is enjoying themselves a fair bit. Can't argue with the results either if Longbottom put in 3 PBs in the gym. I saw the Hangover last night and it was a fair bit funnier seeing how similar the bearded guy and Ben McCalman are. Makes you wonder why they call Ben Whittaker 'Dory' too.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Sharpie said it was the best ever preseason so it must be good... bring on the pain or shame...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    To be fair, it's probably Sharpies first pre-season in a few years too...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Nup, Just a poor shot by the WF media team... to get coverage... Sharpies a good man trying to do the right thing... Put the pressure on the coaches to make it a good preseason...

Veteran
    vCash
    muddy... of course that is...

also, you should look up what muddy means in an audio context...

vCash
    Muddy's just fishing again

vCash
    its still the same spin as last season, when mitchell stated, more records were broken at pre season than any other year, and the squad were the best prepared and fittest they'd ever been....
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Mind you, you would be pretty pissed if they weren't improving every year of a five year history!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    That's the only way to stay in the game in any endeavour - continuous improvement. You can be assured you competitors will be aiming up.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Rookie
    vCash
    It is good to see a few stories and coverage in The Worst. Nick Taylor has taken over from Hughsey. Let's hope they keep it up

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Mind you, you would be pretty pissed if they weren't improving every year of a five year history!
    improving points wise each season,( although not ladder positions), but how long will it take to reach a finals series?, i seem to remember mitchell saying force will be finals contenders in 5 years....well i guess this is that year......

vCash
    While it was an improvement in points this year, in terms of winning games we went backwards with 6 wins in 2009 and 7 in 2008

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast