Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Australian Super 14 hopes headed by Manchester United and Real Madrid

vCash

Exclamation Australian Super 14 hopes headed by Manchester United and Real Madrid

WRITTEN BY JAMES MORTIMER
    FRIDAY, 18 DECEMBER 2009

The ACT Brumbies and NSW Waratahs will mount relentless tilts at the 2010 Super 14 crown next year, with both teams boasting a galaxy of Australian Rugby Union stars.

The Brumbies, the 2001 and 2004 champions, will be well placed to add a third title joining the Blues as the second most decorated team in the history of Super Rugby. Coach Andy Friend has 13 players at his disposal that are on ARU contracts, with four past or present test players joining their ranks from last year.

The Waratahs, the 2005 and 2008 runners-up, will have 12 players on “central contracts” and have been challenged by Phil Waugh to go one step further this year and break their title drought. As with the Brumbies, the NSW squad is man for man among the strongest in the competition.

Berrick Barnes, the highest profile Waratahs recruit, joked that the Brumbies will commence the Super 14 as the “Real Madrid” of the Southern Hemispheres premier rugby tournament.

But at the same time, NSW are in many respects comparable to any high profile football club themselves, all but the Manchester United of the competition.

Still, while their player rosters may indicate that they will rival any of the world’s richest and more decorated sporting clubs, it is in roster only, not in actual dollars.

The Brumbies are technically the smallest of Australia’s unions, and were in strife in 2006 when the Western Force was introduced. The Australian Capital Territory boasts a solid competition with the ACTRU premier division and the John Dent Cup, but it is considered a tiny contest when compared to what is essentially the country’s premier domestic tournament, represented by the Shute Shield in NSW.

Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan might have allowed himself a smile, especially when reflecting on how strong his clubs roster is, but any comparison to a bigger club ended there.

"It's nothing but funny," Fagan said.

"We've obviously got a few big-name players. All of that is built off the result of having a good program but the reality is we're 'little old Canberra' just minding our business.”

"We'd like to have the money of Real Madrid but these players aren't being bought with millions of dollars, they are being encouraged to come here through the IP (intellectual property) and hopefully the promise of an enjoyable time of playing footy with a lot of great mates."

It was the Force’s big third party deals and corporate backing that allowed them to lure talent, but all the money in the world can’t buy a winning culture or history, which the Brumbies have.

But while the Brumbies and Waratahs will have teams to compete with the current competition heavyweights - the Bulls, Crusaders, Hurricanes, Chiefs and Sharks, the other two Australian teams will be struggling if one was to base potential results on the strength of a team’s roster.

The Western Force will be significant weaker with few players on ARU contracts, while the Queensland Reds will have the lowest number of Wallaby representatives or central players since the game went professional in 1996.

The numbers will not be officially confirmed by the ARU, but it does raise the argument that Australian rugby power is spread unevenly.

This is in stark comparison to rival codes, with the NRL and AFL operating under salary caps. In comparison the ARU contract system acts as a “top up” system that allows in practice the best players in the country to play for any team they like.

Former ARU high performance manager Pat Howard is aware of the imbalance, but with the contracting system geared towards securing the top two or three players in each position, state interests are not prioritised.

"I know it may seem unfair (at present) but it's only a snapshot in time," Howard said.

"There are plenty of top-up players who can't make the (Wallabies squad), and Lote Tuqiri was a great example of that. That imbalance has existed in different ways in previous times.”

"For mine, I think (provinces) have to get their rugby program right.”

"Ultimately people move teams for opportunity. My feeling is, as a player you would rather be in a starting team playing against Matt Giteau rather than being on the bench behind him."

Some believe that the spreading of talent evenly via a draft could actually harm rugby in the short term in Australia. Even the stronger sides such as the Waratahs have by and large underachieved in recent times, and with both NSW and the Brumbies having such formidable sides, it could benefit the Wallabies in being able to draw from two “superpower” sides.

Certainly it has been a long time since two Australian Super 14 teams have looked so impressive on paper.

Still, it does give the teams in Australia an unbalanced look, and there is no doubt that the Reds and the Force could struggle next year with weakened rosters.

Former Queensland coach Phil Mooney never blamed the system, but was an advocate for the implication of a transfer fee policy, which meant that states were reimbursed for developing and then losing top level talent.

Queenslanders and Western Australians may have hard years in front of them, which could only get worse with the soon to be frenzied recruitment for the fifth Australian team. But while those respective unions may struggle if they cannot post the results, the nation as a whole will be excited by the opportunity that two such talent laden Waratahs and Brumbies could take, and win a third Super 14 title for Australia.

2010 Brumbies Squad

Alexander, Ben
    Ashley-Cooper, Adam
    Chapman, Mitchell
    Chisholm, Mark
    Edmonds, Huia
    Elsom, Rocky
    Fainifo, Francis
    Giteau, Matt
    Hand, Ben
    Harrison, Justin
    Hoiles, Stephen
    Kimlin, Peter
    Lealiifano, Christian
    Ma'afu, Salesi
    Mafi, Alifeleti
    McCabe, Pat
    Moore, Stephen
    Mortlock, Stirling
    Phibbs, Patrick
    Shepherdson, Guy
    Smith, Andrew
    Smith, George
    Smith, Tyrone
    Taumoepeau, Afusipa
    Timani, Sitaleki
    Toomua, Matt
    Valentine, Josh
    Vanderglas, Henry
    Yanuyanutawa, Jerry

2010 Waratahs Squad

Chris Alcock
    Sosene Anesi
    Berrick Barnes
    Alastair Baxter
    Kurtley Beale
    Luke Burgess
    Will Caldwell
    Tom Carter
    Ben Coridas
    Dave Dennis
    Damien Fitzpatrick
    Adam Freier
    Daniel Halangahu
    Josh Holmes
    Rob Horne
    Cam Jowitt
    Sekope Kepu
    Drew Mitchell
    Ben Mowen
    Dean Mumm
    Nemani Nadolo
    Dan Palmer
    Wycliff Palu
    Tatafu Polota-Nau
    Benn Robinson
    Hendrik Roodt
    Rory Sidey
    Chris Thomson
    Jeremy Tilse
    Lachie Turner
    Phil Waugh (C)

http://www.heavensgame.com/competiti...al-madrid.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Anally cyclopean - one-eyed and with his head up his back passage!!

'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    Anally cyclopean - one-eyed and with his head up his back passage!!
    Gigsy got a photo of that act...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    He may have changed his moniker to James for the new season but Jim Mortimer still writes drivel!
    While the prima donnas act like superstars I'll gladly support a developing underratted RUGBY team.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Agreed... I think he could have let a few opinions out... plenty of positives for the Force and Reds in 2010...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    The Brumbies don't have a winning culture. They have had four years of mediocrity.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Ooooh I'm bookmarking this thread for future derision.

The Brumbies and the 'Tahs to be hot contenders in 2009 whilst the Force and Reds struggle? There's far too many variables there for that not to be a shit prediction.Sure the richer two clubs have savaged the rosters of the Reds and Force, but I reckon the Reds have a good, developing roster and a smart coach. Link'll cause some surprises with that lot this year. Force have to have one of the best packs in the comp from 1 to 8 and will surely be lead around the park by a guy who can (at the very least) kick us into good field position......ten man rugby won't please be, but it wins games.

The Force did work hard to lure the mercenary schills over three years ago, it appears all of those, plus some others who seem to like money as well have ended up at the teams getting praised. I don't need to tell you how I feel about the effectiveness of buying superstars.

Oh and the Brumbies 'World class rugby program' consists of signing new stars in the areas which are lacking, at least Force and Reds strategy is to develop new talent.

C'mon the

vCash
    you should right the WA Today Gigsy... I thought you'd enjoy this one...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    you should right the WA Today Gigsy... I thought you'd enjoy this one...
    I couldn't write for WA today, I'm unnecessarily burdened by a need for facts

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Oh and the Brumbies 'World class rugby program' consists of signing new stars in the areas which are lacking, at least Force and Reds strategy is to develop new talent.
    I'm not sure the Brumbies have signed stars in the areas which are lacking - I think they've just signed stars which are available. Still a couple of weak spots on the Brumbies roster, and a pretty sharp drop-off in talent behind the first XV.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    I'm not sure the Brumbies have signed stars in the areas which are lacking - I think they've just signed stars which are available. Still a couple of weak spots on the Brumbies roster, and a pretty sharp drop-off in talent behind the first XV.
    Yeah thats what I thought. They also look pretty vulernable to the bruiser sides like the Canes, Bulls, Waratahs etc.

vCash
    They have plenty of depth...

However this is more easily answered by the Brumbies win over Perpignan on their tour of France without any of their Wallabies.

Brumbies beat French champs
    Tourists complete first win of tour

The Brumbies have claimed the first scalp of their French tour, defeating reigning Top 14 champions Perpignan 17-0 at Stade Aimé Giral.

An improved physical display and a phenomenal defensive performance saw the visitors hold their hosts at bay throughout the match for a deserved win.

Leading 10-0 at half-time, the Brumbies were forced to defend their own line for the first 20 minutes of the second half.

But the French were unable to break through as the tourists repelled wave after wave of pick-and-drive of up to nine phases at a time.

The defensive achievement was all the more impressive as they were forced to do so while reduced to fourteen men following scrum-half Josh Valentine's sinbinning for an early scuffle.

The Brumbies began in emphatic fashion, with outside centre Andrew Smith breaking through from the first line-out of the match.

Mettle

Smith was dragged down two metres from the Perpignan line with an infringement from the ensuing ruck, giving fly-half Christian Lealiifano a straightforward penalty goal.

Patrick Phibbs extended the lead midway through the half, when quick turnover ball inside the Brumbies' half saw the zippy scrum-half run 70 metres to score under the posts and give his side a 10-point advantage at the break.

The Brumbies, having survived countless raids on their own line in the opening stages of the second half, sealed the result 10 minutes from time when lock Ben Hand charged over under the posts.

Brumbies coach Tony Rea said the tourists showed their true mettle against the French champions.

"The guys prepared well and had their heads on for what was a tough match," he said.

Demanding
    "We learned where we needed to be physically from the first two games and we were able to bully them on the ball and we were rewarded for it.

"We realised that we needed to win every collision for the 80 minutes, we did and we got the result.

"This tour has been a very demanding one. There's been a lot of travel, many sleepless nights and limited opportunities for training but tonight the team showed a lot of character.

"The tough times on the field moulded the team as a group rather than broke them."

The however, came at a cost with Alfi Mafi (suspected broken fibula) and Peter Kimlin (shoulder) unavailable for the final tour match against Toulon.

The fitness of captain Stephen Hoiles (knee) will be determined in the lead in to Thursday's fixture.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...465562,00.html

Last edited by mudskipper; 22-12-09 at 07:48.

vCash
    For sure, they played well against Perpignan.......how did they go for the rest of the tour?

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    The however, came at a cost with Alfi Mafi (suspected broken fibula) and Peter Kimlin (shoulder) unavailable for the final tour match against Toulon.

The fitness of captain Stephen Hoiles (knee) will be determined in the lead in to Thursday's fixture.
    Maybe the company that produces the "Made in China" stickers should sponsor the Brumbies.

vCash
    Brumbies Recruiting supplier:

http://www.australianfinechina.com.au/

'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast