TIM CLARKE

December 8, 2009 - 7:28AM
Western Force skipper Nathan Sharpe blelieves his team is well on track in the pre-season. Photo: Cameron Spencer

Western Force skipper Nathan Sharpe has called the club's massive pre-season program the best he has ever seen, despite having taken precious little part in it himself.

The Force players have already been in training for nearly two months in readiness for the Super 14 season beginning in February, despite the absence of departed stars Matt Giteau and Drew Mitchell, as well as current Wallaby stars David Pocock and Richard Brown.

With Sharpe also sidelined with a shoulder injury that required surgery, the familiarisation of new recruits including Andre Pretorius, Mark Bartholomeusz and Sam Harris has taken place in relative anonymity.

"Everyone is world beaters in pre-season, but to be honest this has been the best put together pre-season I have seen," Sharpe told WAtoday.

"That is a credit to our management, Hayden Masters, John Mitchell right across the board they have done a tremendous job.

"We have got a lot of new guys that have come in, but they are putting their own slant on the team that will go out there in 2010.

"Just the amount of work we have been able to do and the timing of things has been really good, and the management of players have been fantastic.
"A nine-week pre-season before Christmas is a very long time in any sport, you don't generally get that in any code.

"But it is something that has managed really well, and it is something that will translate really well into next year I think."

Sharpe was forced to miss the Wallabies' Grand Slam tour due to his shoulder, but his recuperation is ahead of schedule according to the former John Eales' medallist - who is planning to return for the Force's second trial game against the Sharks on Australia Day.

The Force head to South Africa for trial matches against the Stormers and Sharks on January 23 and 26, with Queensland Reds to come to Perth in the first match at the revamped ME Bank Stadium ahead of the season-opener against the Brumbies - and Giteau - on February 12.

"It (the shoulder) is progressing ahead of schedule at the moment, so hopefully I can keep that up over the next few weeks and get in some decent preparation before the S14 program starts," Sharpe said.

"I will be looking t try and play that second trial, so if things go well that will be plan."

http://www.watoday.com.au/rugby-unio...1207-kf8z.html