Thread: Deans fights to sway doubters

vCash

Deans fights to sway doubters

CARDIFF: Robbie Deans is facing the most difficult week of his coaching career in which he must persuade the Australian Rugby Union and Wallabies supporters he has the complete support of his players and the ability to rid them of their losing mentality.

Although the ARU has said it fully supports Deans as coach and his position is not under threat, it is understood there are concerns he may be struggling to persuade everyone within the Wallabies that he can turn them into a World Cup power within two years.

During Deans's two seasons as Wallabies head coach, the team has experienced a series of dramatic and perplexing lows, including a record 53-8 loss to South Africa in Johannesburg last year, a dreadful effort against the All Blacks in Wellington this season - when Deans accused his side of "giving up" - and now the worst loss in decades, against Scotland at Murrayfield last Saturday.

rest here:

The mood of the coach was as gloomy as the weather in Cardiff, with the Wallabies encountering gale-force winds, torrential rain and freezing temperatures. At least Deans was backed by his captain Rocky Elsom, who was similarly at a loss to explain why the Wallabies keep embarrassing themselves.

"I'm struggling to put my finger on what the problem is," Elsom said. "On this tour, I feel that you can't say we haven't done all we could, but there are some issues we need to sort out. And no one in the team will be comfortable until that happens."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the pie-man
    A victory against Wales at Millennium Stadium this weekend is imperative to demonstrate that Deans's adventurous youth policy is the right approach. Another Test loss this weekend would put him under even greater scrutiny.
    OK, I don't think Deans is necessarily getting everything done, sure, but this comment is pure wank, who else do we expect him to put on the field? I don't see any richie McCaws or Victor Matfields running around in Oz rugby......the established players were given their chance and the underperformers have been replaced (except in two instances, George Smith and Matt Giteau)
    Quote Greg says ...
    The relationship between Deans and the players is also bound to be assessed, especially as player power has been a critical factor in the rise and fall of Wallabies coaches in the past...On this tour, Deans has worked hard to improve his relationship with five-eighth Matt Giteau. Before their departure Deans and Giteau had their problems. Berrick Barnes's appointment to the vice-captaincy and potentially the five-eighth spot, was a contributing factor. But after Barnes left the tour through injury the relationship between Deans and Giteau has improved. Deans has often consulted Giteau over the past month.

I think this issue is part of the problem right there. Giteau is a proven petulant, egotistical child, this only came to the fore once he'd already signed with the force and I already thought he was God's answer to rugby. He's still an awesome player, but he needs to grow up a bit, realise #10's not his go and get back to #12 where he can set the world alight again.
    Quote Originally Posted by growden
    Earlier Deans said he was in the unenviable position of being unable to make widespread changes, because "the reality is that there's no one out there". He explained: "The best players are here."
    I guess everybody can be wrong can't they?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 24-11-09 at 18:44.
    C'mon the