Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies Pipped by Scotland

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Wallabies Pipped by Scotland

Scotland have pulled off a famous victory at Murrayfield in Edinburgh this morning overcoming the Qantas Wallabies 9 – 8.

Flyhalf Matt Giteau slumped in despair after missing with a conversion attempt two minutes into stoppage time that would have saved Australia after hard running centre Ryan Cross had scored the game’s only try in the 81st minute.

The stunning victory was Scotland’s first over Australia since 1982, ending a painful run of 16 successive losses to the Wallabies.

‘‘We’re very disappointed. We definitely didn’t come here to lose,’’ Wallabies captain Rocky Elsom said.

‘‘The error rate was something that really hurt us. The Scottish defence was very good and probably the key to them getting on top at the end of the match.

‘‘But we definitely added to that. I don’t think every one of our mistakes was forced.’’

Australia dominated possession throughout but the Scots, under new coach Andy Robinson, produced a world-class defensive performance to keep the Wallabies at bay.

Jubilant Scotland supremo Robinson, the former England coach, labeled his side's display as the most courageous he has ever been involved with in rugby.

And he tried to play down his own influence on the victory, opting to heap praise on defence guru Graham Steadman and stand-in skipper Ally Kellock.

Robinson declared: "Graham has done a remarkable job. The defensive performance was also the best I can remember.

"We needed a bit of luck - but we worked so hard to earn that luck.

"If we can show the same degree of courage every time we play, we can grow this team.

"I would have preferred a little more width to our play, but that is simply evidence that we still have to improve. This is a platform for that to happen.

"Games are decided by inches. Matt Giteau narrowly missed a few penalties for them - and one of Phil Godman's (Scotland’s flyhalf) penalties went over via the inside of the post.

"The crowd also played a massive part. This is what sport is all about - and why I am involved in it!

"I also have to pay tribute to Ally (Kellock), who took over as skipper when (Chris) Cusiter went off.

"His leadership was fantastic."

Australian coach Robbie Deans sighed: "We got what we deserved for not taking chances.

"Credit to Scotland for their brave defence."

Compounding the Wallabies’s woes were suspected tour-ending injuries to key forwards Wycliff Palu and Benn Robinson.

The game had to be stopped for several minutes midway through the second half as Palu was transported from the field on a medicab with his neck in a brace after he collided heavily with Scottish forward Nick de Luca.

Robinson lasted just 17 minutes before he was forced off with a shoulder injury.

Despite the setbacks, plus the withdrawal on match eve of explosive centre Digby Ioane, Australia should have had more than enough firepower to put lowly-ranked Scotland to the sword.

But the writing was on the wall with the scores locked at 3-3 at halftime after Giteau missed a routine penalty goal attempt in the 37th minute and then also pushed a drop goal attempt wide seconds before the break.

Elsom looked to have put the Wallabies ahead when he crashed over in the 46th minute, but French referee Romain Poite ruled no try after consulting the video referee.

‘‘I felt that I had enough pressure on the ball that it was down on the ground,’’ Elsom said.

Australia dominated possession and territory throughout the match, but found themselves behind 6-3 when Scotland flyhalf Godman landed a 57th-minute penalty goal which struck the left upright before falling over.

A drop goal four minutes from fulltime to replacement pivot increased Scotland’s lead to 9-3 before Cross dived over off a Giteau pass after some 20 phases of build-up from the Wallabies.

Alas, Giteau’s conversion attempt from 23 metres out and about 10 in from the left-hand sideline missed to the left.

The Wallabies head to Cardiff on Sunday ahead of one final Test next Saturday against Wales with their hopes of completing an unbeaten tour of the UK and Ireland now ended.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    at least we're not peaking too early for RWC2011 ....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Congratulations to Scotland, a thoroughly deserved result for both teams.
    I only wish it had been during Australian trading hours so that the long suffering Scots could have partied all night in front of all the smug Aussies out there (including myself, though always in jest).
    If it had been a Friday night fixture I'm tipping there may have been a few no shows at a certain wedding, perhaps including the groom...
    Will find out later today, but if it is any consolation it may well have helped Scotland pass England on the IRB Ladder.
    Well done to all Jocks and Jockette's

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Congratulations Scotland, well played.

vCash
    All I can say is toughen up boys

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    If it had been a Friday night fixture I'm tipping there may have been a few no shows at a certain wedding, perhaps including the groom...
    texted that certain groom this morning, he was in fine spirits prior to flying out later today...a great start to his wedding week..!!...

vCash
    Cheers guys - definitely an early wedding present!!! We fly out this evening and the wedding is on Wednesday. I've had to rethink my outfit for travelling....no longer is it nice smart casual attire....now it's a Scotland jersey!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Wonder what Drew is thinking in that signature photo of yours Jedi, if looks could kill! Though it may be, "Glad I'm not the only Wallaby Back who can't kick for shit..."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Jedi if your're flying Qantas don't expect an upgrade

Have Fun - hope your wife to be enjoys the whisky

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Wonder what Drew is thinking in that signature photo of yours Jedi,
    drews thinking "shep wouldn't of missed that one!!".......

vCash
    The replay is on Fox in 10 minutes

vCash

vCash
    Blimey. I'm glad they've stopped listing Drew and Gits as force players in the game-day magazine's, we'd be the laughing stock. Giteau needs to run straight. It's revolting to watch. For God's sake, why do 12 and 13 take to the field with Giteau? He just runs sideways and cuts them off. You can't get a functioning backline with a flyhalf cramping everyone else's style. It was pathetic. AAC had a reasonable game and JOC provided some nice fresh legs when needed. I'm disgusted. Cooper can kick. James can kick. Giteau however, cannot. It's ridiculous. Drew put in one good kick - and wow it was a nice kick. But the rest of the game was just blah. But to pick on only those two is unfair - practically EVERYONE was shocking. Something is going to give soon. Pity is – who would we have to replace Giteau? Cooper is not up for the job. He's not ready. Who else could we have? Genia and Burgess were both appalling. Valentine’s chance should come any time soon. Highly embarassing.

Cameron - come back. Please.

Kudos to Scotland - well fought, well won.

---------- Post added at 18:13 ---------- Previous post was at 18:11 ----------

Cooper also needs to stop trying to fly. That shuffle leap stagger shuffle shuffle looks like a wacky dance routine and should be illegal!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Not enough Force players I say - although the one that did start (Cross) needs a bit more adrenalin.

When Mortlock played 13, everytime he got the ball, he looked like he had an internal dialogue going along the lines of "FREEDOM!!!!"

Cross looked like a league player - he needs to find his inner Wallace and he'll lift his game 100%

And what was with going over the try line backwards? 2 held up tries

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    "FREEDOM!!!!"
    Good use of the smiley boss!!....
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast