Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rebels want Jonny

vCash

Post Rebels want Jonny

It's civil war: southern Rebels want AFL's hottest drawcards

Adrian Proszenko | November 15, 2009

JONNY WILKINSON will top a hit list of potential Melbourne recruits when the new Super 15 franchise starts looking for players.

Melbourne will play in an expanded competition in 2011 after the franchise was given the nod ahead of South Africa's Southern Kings during the week.

The new side, likely to be known as the Rebels, now face the challenge of assembling a competitive team for their inaugural year.

To that end, Melbourne officials want to attract some big-name overseas players. The Sun-Herald has learned England's World Cup hero Wilkinson is their prime target.

Others understood to be on the radar are England lock Steve Borthwick and All Blacks legend Chris Jack.

The signing of Wilkinson, one of the most recognisable figures in world sport, would be a massive coup for a franchise competing against 10 AFL teams, rugby league's Melbourne Storm and the A-League's Melbourne Victory.

''We need to look towards getting high-profile people that are instantly recognised in this market, some big names wherever possible,'' said Gary Gray, the Victorian Rugby Union president, declining to speak of specific players. ''If we can attract a handful of international big names, that would be tremendous.

''We know players move a lot around the world these days and there may be players looking for a change towards the end of their career.

''Melbourne is an attractive place to live. Playing in a new stadium, in a new environment … it might be that a player in their late 20s is looking to revitalise their career. We think that's an attractive option.

''We'd also love to have some high-profile Wallaby names in Melbourne.''

Wilkinson has spent extended periods on the sidelines since potting the winning drop goal in extra time of the 2003 World Cup final against Australia. But when fit, the 30-year-old remains one of the most influential players in world rugby. Melbourne won't be able to match the money he can command at his current French club, Toulon.

Gray, however, believes the franchise will still be an attractive destination for marquee players.

''People may say that some of the bigger names internationally are unaffordable,'' Gray said.

''But I think they underestimate what Melbourne can offer in future job opportunities and business contacts.

''It's not all about money, it's about developing people's careers.''

Gray confirmed that Melbourne would target Aussie Rules stars in an attempt to win over the AFL-obsessed Victorian public.

It's understood that Collingwood's Josh Fraser and Hawthorn's Lance ''Buddy'' Franklin are potential targets.

However, the top priority for the franchise will be finalising its ownership structure and appointing a chief executive and coach. Gray said the latter would not necessarily be an Australian.

''It should be the best coach,'' he said. ''If that happens to be an Australian, that would be a bonus. A non-Australian would not be a problem.''

Melbourne will request significant concessions from the ARU to ensure it can put together a competitive outfit from the outset - chiefly, Gray said, it wanted to have more overseas players eligible to play here.

''To take pressure off the professional [local] pool, a number like 10 to 12 has been talked about, about a third of the squad being available from outside Australia, whether that be New Zealand, Argentina, the United Kingdom, South Africa - wherever the best and most appropriate players can be found.''

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...043830166.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    its going to be interesting.....

vCash
    They need to get a Coach before any players will sign... they need the Sheedy of rugby to be in Melbourne...

Champion
    vCash
    If Rod McQueen is involved that will be a big drawcard for players

vCash
    what shit is this already?
    buddy franklin on their list;
    seriously?

vCash
    there merely just creating headlines, targetting a AFL player would be worth its weight in gold from the publicity it generates

vCash
    yeah i know. but seriously?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthGirl View Post
    If Rod McQueen is involved that will be a big drawcard for players
    Yeah but to a lesser extent if his input is minimal. If he were coach the other 4 teams will be packing it but if he is just a coaching advisor or some such its not really the same.

Jonny would be a big coup for the Melbourne team but I'd be putting my efforts into Berrick Barnes both a very injury prone but BB has a much better all round game than Jonny.

Targetting the AFL players isn't a bad idea. They'd probably have the kicking game to make them a good choice at wing or full back and god knows they'd last the full 80. I've always said I'd love to have seen what Nick Natinui and Aaron Sandilands would be like in the second row.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    what shit is this already?
    buddy franklin on their list;
    seriously?

Similar to the ben cousins story that was
    Run a could of years back......
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    Similar to the ben cousins story that was
    Run a could of years back......
    Posted via Mobile Device

touché

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

1. Targetting the AFL players isn't a bad idea.

2. I've always said I'd love to have seen what Nick Natinui and Aaron Sandilands would be like in the second row.
    1. YES IT IS!!!!!

2. WHY?

Seriously you want to tell me that someone who has never played rugby before could just walk up at the age they are now and start playing in the top level this country has to offer. That is an insult to the players already playing who have played since they were kids to make them as good as they are.

Turn it up...

I'm not saying this about you James I don't know you but seriously too many people comment on rugby who have never laced up a boot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    too many people comment on rugby who have never laced up a boot.
    so so true

vCash
    1. YES IT IS!!!!!

2. WHY?

Seriously you want to tell me that someone who has never played rugby before could just walk up at the age they are now and start playing in the top level this country has to offer. That is an insult to the players already playing who have played since they were kids to make them as good as they are.

Turn it up...

I'm not saying this about you James I don't know you but seriously too many people comment on rugby who have never laced up a boot.
    1. Rugby Union is in a market place competeting against other sports, any extra exposure to rugby union makes the product more marketable and valuable. You only have to look at the $million in exposure that was gifted to the GC17 side when karmichale signed with them.

2. They are natural athletes with physiques which akin to rugby union players in those positions

I think its unlikely that a AFL player will be able to transition to rugby union, however i dont think its a bad idea, purely from a marketing perspective it would be pure dynamite

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    1. YES IT IS!!!!!

2. WHY?

Turn it up...

One or two AFL players as a trial is not a bad idea. The minute you stop glancing outside the box and looking at all options is the minute you fade into mediocrity.

Tom Court is on the bench for the Irish international side in the next game and he didn't start playing rugby until he was 24. Tai McIsaac, who had the fortitude to play in all of the Force's games, only started when he was 23. While he wasn't a star he has represented the Wallabies. Both of them are front rowers and that would be one of the hardest parts of the game to learn. Now I'm not saying that any AFL player should be a starting player but a youngish one has the potential to develop into one over two or three years. Nick Natinui is what like 19. Are you seriously suggesting that a young person of that age couldn't pick up rugby over a couple of years? He could be in the squad and play locally for a couple of years until he is ready at say 23 or so. Some people are natural athletes and others are not and regardless of what age they start playing from they simply never will be as good as those who it comes naturally to.

You talk about it being an insult to those players who have played since they were kids to make them as good as they are but the fact is that depth in Australian rugby is ankle deep. We have very, very few Super 14 standard locks (so much so that the Force has recruited a 17 year old in Luke Jones) and Ben McCalman who the Force have also recruited and is naturally a back rower has been playing for Sydney Uni in the second row. It's not like anyone's place is being stolen and its not like anything is being risked by trying out a ruckman in union. If it doesn't work then its no big deal.

Now, if I were recruiting from the AFL I wouldn't consider anyone over 21 but even then it doesn't seem like that much of a mountain to overcome. AFL players work a lot on their ball handling skills and kicking skills with a similar shaped ball. Their tackling would need work but it wouldn't be awful either. The two big areas to learn would be the tactical/positional play and the breakdown but thats just the same for league players coming in and god knows thats been tried. On an international level the leaguies don't usually work but in the Super 14 we've seen them play fairly bloody well with Ryan Cross being one of the Force's best in 2008 and Lote Tuqiri having played well for a number of years before he became a bit of a crab.

Now to be honest, you were saying that last comment about me and you aren't far wrong. I can't say I've played a lot of rugby- you could count the games I have played on one hand (and probably the total number of minutes on a two or three hands ) but you don't need to wear a boot to see the facts and the facts are there are players who have taken up rugby later in life who have gone on to represent at both provincial level and international level. But perhaps you can't see that because the boots are obscuring the view.

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:18 ----------

I suppose you also have to consider as well that for Melbourne maybe having an AFL rookie player or two might mean less foreign marquee players. It's money better invested since it might be cheaper for an AFL junior and you might well have them for life and albeit low there is a possibility that they could play for the Wallabies. Be crazy to rule it out completely.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    It will never happen considering the probable pay cut Jonny would have to take to move south

But as stated by others, getting the brand out in the media regardless of who actually signs with them is a good exercise

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast