Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies Team to Take on Ireland

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Wallabies Team to Take on Ireland

The selection of David Pocock on the openside flank, with George Smith returning to a place among the run on reserves, represents the only change to the Qantas Wallabies starting side named today for Sunday’s Lansdowne Cup Test against Ireland in Dublin.

21-year-old Pocock, who started against New Zealand in Tokyo before coming from the bench during last Saturday’s 18-9 win against England in London, plays the 14th Test of his career, but makes just his fifth start.

Significantly though, this is the fourth starting role among his last five Tests, with the sequence beginning during Australia’s 21-6 win over South Africa at Brisbane in September.

The change to the back row aside, the Australian combination is unchanged from that which started last weekend at Twickenham.

This means that the Queensland Reds midfield duo of Quade Cooper and Digby Ioane are paired together as a combination for the second week in succession.

The side will be led for just the third time by Rocky Elsom, who makes his return to the Irish capital as the captain of his country, after starring earlier in the year for the Dublin-based Leinster province during its run to the European Cup title.

Leinster’s Heineken Cup success, which followed on from Ireland’s clean sweep of the 2009 Six Nations, highlighted the scale of the task ahead of the Qantas Wallabies, coach Robbie Deans says.

“The game in Ireland is on a massive high at the moment,” Deans says.

“Ireland did the Six Nations Grand Slam earlier in the year, while the country has also provided the last two European Cup winners. The Irish team has momentum – having won its last eight Test matches – and it has the confidence that mastering the art of winning consistently brings. Playing them now is a great challenge, but one that we are all looking forward to.”

Although pleased with last weekend’s success at Twickenham, which represented Australia’s second win at the home of England rugby in the last two years, Deans says his side will have to raise the level of its performance again.

“Getting a result last weekend was a great confidence booster for the whole squad, but we know that the standard we produced last week won’t be good enough against this Irish team,” he says.

“There was an uncertainty about England, in terms of the transitional nature of their development as a team, that doesn’t pertain to Ireland. The Irish are an established and experienced combination who are used to – and expect to – win, every time that they play.”

Sunday’s game is preceded on Saturday night by the opening leg of a FIFA Football World Cup qualifying tie between Ireland and France, which will also be played at Croke Park.

The international double header is sure to stir up a wave of nationalistic enthusiasm in Dublin, adding to the challenge facing the Wallabies.

Deans doesn’t believe his team will be intimidated by what is sure to be a passionate atmosphere at the 80,000-seat stadium.

Croke Park is the home of Gaelic Football in Ireland. While it has been used to host rugby union Test matches in each of the last two seasons, the Wallabies are on debut at the venue.

Only Elsom, from his time with Leinster earlier in the year, has previous history playing on the artificial surface at the ground.

“It will be a great experience. These are the occasions that we all aspire to be a part of,” Deans says.

Ireland enters the first match of its autumn series unbeaten through the last 12 months and its last eight fixtures, with the sequence including the acquisition of its first Six Nations Grand Slam since 1948.

During this time, wins have been achieved against Argentina, France, Italy, England, Scotland, Wales, Canada and the United States, with the last loss having been a 3-22 defeat by New Zealand at Croke Park on 15 November, 2008.

Australia last faced a Grand Slam champion on its Spring Tour last year, being denied an unbeaten run through Europe when beaten by the then reigning Six Nations title holders Wales, 21-18 in Cardiff.

Sunday’s match will be refereed by Jonathan Kaplan of South Africa.

The Qantas Wallabies team to play Ireland in the Lansdowne Cup Test at Croke Park, Dublin, on Sunday 15 November, 3pm kick off (2am, Mon 16 Nov, AEST), is:

1. Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs)
    2. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
    3. Ben Alexander (Brumbies)
    4. James Horwill (Queensland Reds)
    5. Mark Chisholm (Brumbies)
    6. Rocky Elsom (Brumbies, captain)
    7. David Pocock (Western Force)
    8. Wycliff Palu (NSW Waratahs)

9. Will Genia (Queensland Reds)
    10. Matt Giteau (Brumbies)
    11. Drew Mitchell (NSW Waratahs)
    12. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
    13. Digby Ioane (Queensland Reds)
    14. Peter Hynes (Queensland Reds)
    15. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies)

Run on reserves:

16. Tatafu Polota Nau (NSW Waratahs)
    17. Matt Dunning (Western Force)
    18. Dean Mumm (NSW Waratahs)
    19. George Smith (Brumbies)
    20. Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs)
    21. Ryan Cross (Western Force)
    22. James O’Connor (Western Force)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Good to see Pocock back in the starting lineup

I just wonder how many more chances Deans are going to give to Gits and Drew

vCash
    Gits and Drew seem to be leading a charmed life Pieter. I'd reckon it's more circumstance than planning by now. if we had another option at 13 fullback or 12 than the ones currently being fielded I'm sure Dingo would have made the changes. Let's face it, a 13 or a fullback pushes Digby out to the wing and Drew to the bench. Barnes fit (IMHO) would have Gits in the centres by now.

I thought the amount of time (and the effectiveness of that time) Quade spent in first reciever is the major reason he's there. I'm not sure where he'll defend this week. Probably 15 with AAC slipping into the line, but I can see him getting a lot more of the free ball as first reciever.

Hearing questionmarks on the telly about George's career again, I reckon it's a complete crock. I think Deansey's picking a man for a task. George for his attacking options and Bam for his agression and accuracy at the breakdown. Our defence (particularly inside) needs improvement for Ireland, that's why Bam's in.

C'mon the

Veteran
    vCash
    The force boys are thin on the ground again.

vCash
    i feel sorry for Digby, marking up on BOD is no easy task

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Why does Croke Park have an artificial surface?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    because it's to cold to grow shit in Ireland

when they keep glancing over at me i know they think iam cute and are checking me out -Kalafan 10/3/10

i have difficulty in my life. alot of girls like me but i cannot ask them out. i think they like me cause i am good looking and have a nice smile.- kalafan 3/7/10

FREE LINDSAY

Born TROLLIN

vCash
    Was worried about rugby on an artifical surafce but from what I can see it's real grass with a syntetic mesh through the turf to add some stability to it.

Seems like a good idea.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Well I'd say something will be necessary, more for wear and tear given Union will end up sharing with both Soccer and League on top of any other event based uses. If not the Desso stuff, then Loksand or some other system proven in this neck of the woods. Last thing we want is for MES to get a reputation for cutting up and causing injuries for any code.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    The force boys are thin on the ground again.
    Just means we need to build a few more

Interesting that the Club of origin has now changed to next year not last season.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    i am pretty sure all club origins change at the start of pre season because that is when contracts end and start isn't it

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Probably right MG, not that the new Club would have had much influence on the current play but I guess they have to draw the line somewhere.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    um ok so why is brownie on the outer?! and why the hell is palu on the team. am i the only one who saw him knock on the ball a million times last time he played?!

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Unfortunately for Brownie he had a few rough games (to be polite) and Palu now looks the safer bet with cover provided by Smith.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Brownie has played pretty crap the last few tests he has started, and Palu, whilst knocking the ball on in only his second game in a few months actually played extremely well against England.

Palu over Brown is a no brainer IMO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast