Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Brumbies kick off pre-season 2010

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    mmmmmmm.... Gigs, The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist in coming along and trying to put things in it…
    no....you're talking about an empty mind, but I'm not surprised you can't tell the difference

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by normie View Post
    It's just to keep Bianca interested.
    So you mean, its so the guys can leg it! and score? ......

vCash
    So you mean, its so the guys can leg it! and score? ......
    Not sure what Gits would have to say about that! He's not a Mungo you know!

C'mon the

vCash
    http://twf.com.au/picture.php?albumid=39&pictureid=636

McCabe heats up the track in CA Brumbies speed testing

Monday, 16 November 2009
    Brumbies Media Unit

Now you see him... Pat McCabe races past in speed testing

CA Brumbies fullback Pat McCabe has continued an impressive pre-season by topping the CA Brumbies’ speed testing at the Australian Institute of Sport today.

The squad took part in a series of 40-metre sprint time trials and vertical leap testing, before pairing up to go head to head in six repeat 30-metre sprints.

While the group was without their Wallabies contingent, McCabe narrowly outpaced James Stannard and Shaun Foley to finish with the quickest time of 5.02 seconds over 40 metres.

McCabe says the results are little more than a guide through the pre-season.

“It’s probably the best I’ve done in a lot of [the pre-season speed tests], so it’s a nice way to start off,” he said.

“It’s a good benchmark against the other guys, it gives you a good idea of where we’re at this time of year and let’s you see how you’re progressing as you head towards the season.

“[The pre-season’s] been tough. This is the start of the second week and everyone’s starting to get back into the swing of things and really enjoy it. It’s only the start of week two so there’s a long way to go and there’s no point in training if you’re not looking to make improvements.”

CA Brumbies 117-kilogram lock Sitaleki Timani was the quickest of the forwards at 5.18 seconds.

CA Brumbies Strength & Conditioning Head Coach Rod Lindsell says the results are a starting point for the players.

“These tests give us a rough indication of where the guys are athletically at this early stage of the season,” he said. “The trick for us is transferring these results onto the field but for the time being it’s more about ensuring the guys are making improvements more than focusing too much on the times themselves.

“We’ve done a variety tests in pre-seasons gone by and we’ve trialed some new ones this year but it’s all about collating the results and giving us something to improve on.”

Last edited by mudskipper; 17-11-09 at 15:31.

vCash
    High and mighty Brumbies
    BY JOHN-PAUL MOLONEY, RUGBY UNION
    27 Nov, 2009 08:21 AM

For symbolism, it was hard to beat. The ACT Brumbies standing on top of Australia, feeling on top of the world.

Three days after they set out from Canberra on mountain bikes, a group of 38 Brumbies players and staff reached the top of Mt Kosciuszko late yesterday afternoon.

In the few minutes of clear air they had before a storm swallowed the mountain and lashed them with rain, the group linked arms and sang the club song, just as they would after a big victory.

They were certainly entitled to their moment of jubilation on the 2228m summit.

Three days of peddling up and down rocky roads had tested them in ways they're not used to.

As they made the last steep climb to Rawson's Pass, where they had to abandon their bikes and walk the final 1km, only a few could offer a smile. Most had their faces clenched in agony, eyes only for the patch of road immediately ahead.

One of the injured players, Alfi Mafi, who fell off his bike on day one, asked a hiker descending from the summit if it was worth the effort of him hobbling up to the top.

He decided to take her advice that it absolutely was. And to a man the Brumbies group would have agreed with that as they sat on the rocky summit and looked around at each other and out into the distance. Many were surprised that there were still scattered fields of snow, stained red by outback dust.

The symbolism of the moment for next year's would-be Super 14 title contenders wasn't lost on scrumhalf Patrick Phibbs.

''It's been tough but the group's stuck together as we've had our ups and downs,'' Phibbs said.

''We're standing on top right now and that's a great start for what we want to do next year. It's a good start to have accomplished this and get us underway.''

Coach Andy Friend was at the front of the snaking line of riders as they reached Rawson's Pass. As he made the final climb Friend said he was incredibly proud of everyone's effort for the challenge that raised funds for charities OzHarvest and Outward Bound community partnerships.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...s/1689630.aspx

vCash
    Three days of peddling up and down rocky roads had tested them in ways they're not used to.
    Peddling? that's pretty freudean coming from the 'Real Madrid' of australian rugby. I'm not sure what they were selling, but I guess you have to pay for all those Wallabies somehow.

I reckon it'd be cheaper to make Wallabies than to buy pre-made ones. I guess it depends upon the quality of your World-class rugby program though!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Peddling? that's pretty freudean coming from the 'Real Madrid' of australian rugby. I'm not sure what they were selling, but I guess you have to pay for all those Wallabies somehow.

I reckon it'd be cheaper to make Wallabies than to buy pre-made ones. I guess it depends upon the quality of your World-class rugby program though!
    Astute observation Sherlock… The Western Force best get down to the task at hand… Force Wallabies have been on fire this season, 2 got yellow cards at Cardiff go figure… But essentially it comes down to John Mitchell, is he permitted to speak to the players coaching staff this pre-season?

The MES is on its way gentlemen… Looking forward to some retribution after last years brumbies bashing…

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Well this thread was a massive waste of my time...brumbies are in for a tough season...second or third bottom is all they can hope for

i hope they keep talking themselves up though

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Cold View Post
    Well this thread was a massive waste of my time...brumbies are in for a tough season...second or third bottom is all they can hope for

i hope they keep talking themselves up though
    They're Always a chance of being talked up...

---------- Post added at 13:47 ---------- Previous post was at 13:23 ----------

Brumbies summit Mount Kosciuszko...

vCash

Lightbulb Shadows loom for Mortlock

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...px?storypage=0

Injured Wallabies and ACT centre Stirling Mortlock visited Brumbies HQ yesterday. He told JOHN PAUL MOLONEY he's raring to go in next year's Super 14, but his future beyond that is unclear.

JPM: You've caught up with Justin Harrison, what do you think of his return to the Brumbies?

SM: It's fantastic news. He's been through a tough trot lately and to give him the opportunity to hopefully give something back to the Brumbies and Australian rugby is a great opportunity for Justin.

From our perspective, every team he's been involved with, their lineout has been dominant if not the best in the competition so he's a big asset.

JPM: He's yet another leader in a team already brimming with them. On top of skipper Stephen Hoiles, you're one of three current or former Wallabies captains in the team. How will the Brumbies manage so many chiefs next year?

SM: Stephen Hoiles is definitely our skipper, but I think it'll be nothing but a positive for the team and Hoilesy to have a number of guys to bounce ideas off and hopefully make this team as efficient and effective as it could be.

JPM: Isn't there a risk of Hoiles being undermined?

SM: The only thing you need to do is be aware of how we conduct ourselves on the pitch. Obviously you don't want five guys trying to talk to the referee. That's Hoilesy's job as skipper.

Certainly we won't be short on ideas and guys willing to put their hands up when it's needed.

JPM: You visited training today, what are your feelings about next year?

SM: I'm extremely excited. We've been extremely lucky to have secured some great signings and a lot of guys went along on the Brumbies tour to France and created better depth.

It's also our second year with this coaching staff. At the end of the day there's probably more pressure involved, because we do have so many quality performers.

JPM: When injury ruled you out of the Wallabies' spring tour you said it wasn't necessarily curtains on your Test career. But it was reassessment time. What have you concluded?

SM: Nothing yet. This season has probably been the worst I've had with injuries because it wasn't one long-term injury it was a string of different injuries and I was always of the mindset that this year my body would tell me how things were going. So from that regard it hasn't been positive at all.

But I want to give myself the opportunity to contribute to the Brumbies and over the next period of time I definitely will be making a decision long term, but at this stage I haven't really been able to make one here nor there. Pretty much all doors are open.

JPM: When would you need to have declared your intention to the Brumbies about whether you'll play on in 2011?

SM: I'm pretty sure that at least by the middle of the Super14 next year a decision would have been made.

JPM: People inferred from your visit to Japan to look at club options that you'd been given a tap on the shoulder by Robbie Deans?

SM: No, not at all. At the time my rehab was going pretty slowly so it was an opportunity to go over then or in December. Realistically I'm not the sort of person who makes a big decision without getting as much information as possible. That was the basis of me being over there. It certainly wasn't from any information that Robbie or any of the Wallabies coaching staff had given me.

JPM: You said at the time of this calf injury that things had gone ''pear shaped'' for you on the injury front. Has your body turned from a friend into a foe?

SM: No, I just think I had a bit of a bad trot this year. Certainly that's what I'm hoping's the case. Looking at the positives here I'm looking at it as a chance to be refreshed, to spend some time with my family and get some more rehab under my belt before starting in January.

I'll definitely be physically and mentally as refreshed as I've ever been.

JPM: The Wallabies' win against Wales last weekend has made people think maybe there is something to this rhetoric of the team developing well towards the World Cup. Two years out, what's your belief in what the Test team can do in 2011?

SM: We have shown a couple of glimpses of what we're capable of, but the reality is that we have got a lot of work ahead of us and we need to do less predicting what we're capable of and more actually getting out there and doing it. I'm really hopeful that's the path we take.

JPM: So do you think the players got a little carried away with the predictions of big things when Robbie took charge?

SM: When you're going through fundamentally changing the way you do things, you have to have faith in it. A lot of the positivity and talk coming out of the camp was probably about that. But a lot of our mixed results were us falling away from that.

What we have seen is that when we are on our game ... we can play well.

JPM: How were you able to reconcile with losing the Wallabies captaincy to Rocky Elsom?

SM: That was one of the things I was really looking disappointed about with not being able to tour. I was very keen to get over there and show that I could give just as much, whether I had the captaincy or not. It doesn't really matter if you've got the 'c' next to your name.

vCash

Lightbulb Brumbies to move Gits around

ACT Brumbies and Wallabies playmaker Matt Giteau is happy to play flyhalf or inside-centre during next year's Super 14.
    The 27-year-old informed Brumbies coach Andy Friend prior to the recently-completed spring tour that he was comfortable wearing the No10 or No12 jersey for the ACT in 2010.

His openness to play either position could make room for either Matt Toomua or Christian Lealiifano to fill the flyhalf role, with Giteau playing outside them.

Giteau has filled both roles at domestic and international level.

While he has played predominantly at flyhalf in more recent years, many view him as a better second-receiver.

But Giteau has confirmed he's satisfied either way and Friend intends on making the most of his marquee recruit's versatility next year.

Friend watched every match of the Wallabies' northern hemisphere tour in which Giteau started each Test at flyhalf.

The coach met with Giteau in Canberra before the tour and, with one eye on the Super 14, asked him which position he would rather play.

''He said he didn't have an issue either way and that's a fantastic thing for the Brumbies looking ahead,'' Friend said.

''I told him I think he's the best 10 in the country and that he's the best 12 in the country and that I hadn't yet made my mind up where I think he'd best fit into the Brumbies mould next year.

''That hasn't changed in my view. There's every chance he'll wear a 10 jersey throughout the year but you find him at second receiver and he also might have the 12 on his back but play first receiver.

''That's the beauty of having a player of such class and to be 100 per cent honest, I haven't decided where Matt will be playing at the start of the season for us.''

While the majority of the Wallabies squad returned to Australia this week Giteau and his Brumbies teammates George Smith, Rocky Elsom and Stephen Moore remained in England to play for the Barbarians this weekend.

When he does return next week Giteau will start four weeks holiday before returning to pre-season training in early January.

The former Western Force play-maker copped ample criticism during the spring tour, a lot which was unwarranted, according to Friend.

''I thought he had a good tour, a very good tour actually,'' the coach said. ''You're always going to cop flak or praise that's what happens when you wear the No10.

''When you look at his involvement, he created a lot of opportunities which for one reason or another weren't finished but I don't think that was necessarily Matt's fault.''

If Friend does opt for Giteau at inside-centre, it would create a battle between Toomua and Lealiifano for the No10 jersey.Lealiifano will have the jump on his rival, being all-but guaranteed the pivot role for the Brumbies' first trial against the Wellington Hurricanes on January 29.

Giteau will be rested for that match while Toomua will only just be returning to contact training after breaking his jaw during the Wallabies' mid-week game against Cardiff last week.

Toomua had four plates inserted into his jaw as a result of the injury but was confident he would be available for the start of the Super 14 season.

''If I miss anything it will be that first trial but I want to be fit so I can fight for a spot in the team,'' Toomua said. ''Where Gits plays and what options that leaves other players, I'm not too sure.

''I want to play 10 but I've learned if you can play 10 you can play 12 so there might be options there too.''

Toomua will have two weeks off training before returning to the gym.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...px?storypage=0

vCash

Lightbulb Harrison a Wallaby prospect: Kafer

Former Wallaby and rugby commentator Rod Kafer believes Justin Harrison could capitalise on a shortage of lock talent in Australia and push for a Test recall next year.
    Kafer said his former Brumbies teammate would give the ACT a big boost in the key area of the lineout, enhancing their already strong Super14 title credentials.

''This gives the Brumbies a chance to fill a big hole in their team around that area of securing ball in the lineout,'' Kafer said.

''The other thing you get is a great deal of intellectual property that Justin holds because every lineout he's ever been in, the Brumbies, the Waratahs, the Wallabies, Ulster or Bath, that lineout was the best in the competition.''

Lineout expertise has rarely been at a greater premium in Australia. It was the Wallabies' one consistent weakness during their spring tour and the lack of depth in the position forced NSW to recruit from overseas and led to calls for the ARU to lure back Dan Vickerman from Britain.

But Harrison, who has played 34 Tests, said he wouldn't distract himself by thinking about resuming his Test career in 2010.

And the message from the ARU was that, although there were no actual barriers to Wallabies selection, Harrison's thinking was wise.

''In terms of him signing with the Brumbies, they were insistent they needed Harrison to cover for Peter Kimlin. They however take full responsibility for his recruitment, the ARU will not provide any top-up funds. He's solely a player of interest to them,'' an ARU spokesman said.

''He's certainly not on the radar. He is 35, the World Cup two years away and the Wallabies are obviously in a new generation phase.''

But Kafer said nothing except performance should be used to judge Harrison next year.

''Wallaby selection is always dictated by performance, age should be absolutely no consideration.

''If he delivers for the Brumbies and they are successful, he should have an opportunity to be picked.''

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...r/1692282.aspx

vCash
    There was a light next to the thread so i thought it might be interesting, maybe change it to a X for do not bother reading.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Shadows loom? Makes him sound like some kind of evil wizard. Voldemort-lock.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Men from the Shaky Isles refer to him as the Evil Wizard Mortlock...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast