Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies Named to Play England

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Wallabies Named to Play England

The return of George Smith to the starting XV, and the selection of an entirely new midfield combination featuring Digby Ioane and Quade Cooper, are the key changes to the TWF Wallabies starting line-up that has been named today for Saturday’s Cook Cup Test against England in London.

Smith, the game’s fifth most capped player, has swapped roles with the Western Force 21-year-old David Pocock from last week. He will play in his 107th Test.

Ioane plays his sixth Test match, but his first at centre, after making a successful return from injury on the wing last weekend against the All Blacks. The powerful 24-year-old converted to the midfield for the Queensland Reds this year, making 10 appearances at centre before his efforts were curtailed by a shoulder injury that required surgery to correct.

He teams up with his state colleague Cooper, who has won selection for his eighth Test, but just his second at inside centre, after starring with 16 points from the flyhalf position during Tuesday night’s 36-5 win over Gloucester.

The 21-year-old features in the run on side for just the second time, and both have been in the number 12 jersey, after he started from that position during Australia’s 34-12 win over Italy at Melbourne in June. Cooper also played inside centre during the Queensland Reds’ final match of this year’s Investec Super 14, scoring a try against the Hurricanes at Suncorp Stadium.

The re-positioning of Ioane in the number 13 jersey has opened the way for Drew Mitchell, who scored two tries on Tuesday night at Kingsholm, to return on the wing after he was unused from the bench in Tokyo.

Cooper’s elevation from last week’s Test reserves allows Adam Ashley Cooper to return to fullback – the position he was originally selected for last week, before the injury to team vice captain Berrick Barnes prompted a late backline reshuffle. Ashley-Cooper scored Australia’s try, from fullback, during the Wallabies’ most recent visit to Twickenham last year.

While the selection of Smith is the only change from last week’s starting forward pack against the All Blacks; there are three changes in the backline as well as Ashley-Cooper’s relocation, with fullback James O’Connor and centre Ryan Cross dropping back to the bench.

Hooker Stephen Moore, who was originally named on the bench last week before being drafted into the run on side when injury troubled Tatafu Polota-Nau, has retained his place, with Polota-Nau selected to back him up.

Moore was the man of the match during the Cook Cup Test 12 months ago.

Australia’s 28-14 win over England last year was just its second success from its five most recent visits to London.

However, such is the level of the transition that has taken place within the Wallabies; just eight of that starting side will be back again in the run on team this Saturday.

Four are backs: Ashley-Cooper, Peter Hynes, Mitchell and Matt Giteau, while Smith, lock Mark Chisholm, Moore and prop Benn Robinson remain from the starting forward combination.

The match will be refereed by Bryce Lawrence of New Zealand.

The TWF Wallabies team to play England in the Cook Cup Test at Twickenham Stadium, London, on Saturday 7 November, 2.30pm kick off (10.30pm, Sat 8 Nov, Perth Time), is:

1. Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs)
    2. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
    3. Ben Alexander (Brumbies)
    4. James Horwill (Queensland Reds)
    5. Mark Chisholm (Brumbies)
    6. Rocky Elsom (Brumbies, captain)
    7. George Smith (Brumbies)
    8. Wycliff Palu (NSW Waratahs)

9. Will Genia (Queensland Reds)
    10. Matt Giteau (Brumbies)
    11. Drew Mitchell (NSW Waratahs)
    12. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
    13. Digby Ioane (Queensland Reds)
    14. Peter Hynes (Queensland Reds)
    15. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies)

16. Tatafu Polota Nau (NSW Waratahs)
    17. Matt Dunning (Western Force)
    18. Dean Mumm (NSW Waratahs)
    19. David Pocock (Western Force)
    20. Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs)
    21. Ryan Cross (Western Force)
    22. James O’Connor (Western Force)

Australia v England – Historical Notes

• This is the 37th Test match between Australia and England. Australia has won 21 and England 14 while the 1997 contest in London resulted in a 15-15 draw.
    • England holds a narrow 10 wins to eight advantage with one drawn, from the 19 matches played on English soil. This includes victories in three of the last five matches played.
    • Flanker George Smith will advance ahead of Chris Latham, with 12, as the second most capped Australian player against England, behind George Gregan who featured on 16 occasions.
    • The two teams compete for the Cook Cup, which was established in 1997. The cup is named after Captain James Cook and is currently held by Australia.
    • Although the links between the countries are undoubtedly close, the intensity of the rivalry between the two is a relatively modern phenomenon. This is evidenced by the fact that only six Tests had been played prior to the 1970s. Australia and England have twice met in Rugby World Cup finals, sharing the spoils one apiece, each having prevailed on the other’s home turf.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Australia v England head-to-head record

Year Winner Score Venue
    1909 Australia 9-3 Blackheath
    1928 England 18-11 London
    1948 Australia 11-0 London
    1958 England 9-6 London
    1963 Australia 18-9 Sydney
    1967 Australia 23-11 London
    1973 England 20-3 London
    1975 Australia 16-9 Sydney
    1975 Australia 30-21 Brisbane
    1976 England 23-6 London
    1982 England 15-11 London
    1984 Australia 19-3 London
    1987 Australia 19-6 Sydney*
    1988 Australia 22-16 Brisbane
    1988 Australia 28-8 Sydney
    1988 England 28-19 London
    1991 Australia 40-15 Sydney
    1991 Australia 12-6 London*
    1995 England 25-22 Cape Town*
    1997 Australia 25-6 Sydney
    1997 Drawn 15-15 London
    1998 Australia 76-0 Brisbane
    1998 Australia 12-11 London
    1999 Australia 22-15 Sydney
    2000 England 22-19 London
    2001 England 21-15 London
    2002 England 32-31 London
    2003 England 25-14 Melbourne
    2003 England 20-17 Sydney*
    2004 Australia 51-15 Brisbane
    2004 Australia 21-19 London
    2005 England 26-16 London
    2006 Australia 34-3 Sydney
    2006 Australia 43-18 Melbourne
    2007 England 12-10 Marseille*
    2008 Australia 28-14 London

At All Venues: Australia 21 wins, England 14, 1 draw
    In England: England 10 wins, Australia 8 wins, 1 draw
    In Australia: Australia 13 wins, England 2 wins
    At Neutral venues: England 2 wins

Biggest Australian win (margin) at all venues: 76 (76-0) Brisbane, 1998
    Biggest Australian win (margin) in England: 16 (19-3) London, 1984

Heaviest Australian defeat (margin) at all venues: 17 (3-20) London, 1973 & (6-23) London, 1976
    Heaviest Australian defeat (margin) in England: 17 (3-20) London, 1973 & (6-23) London, 1976

Biggest Australian winning score at all venues: 76 (76-0) Brisbane, 1998
    Biggest Australian winning score in England: 23 (23-11) London, 1967

Most points conceded by Australia in defeat at all venues: 32 (31-32) London, 2002

Most points scored by Australia at all venues: 76 (76-0) Brisbane, 1998
    Most points scored by Australia in England: 31 (31-32) London, 2002

Most points conceded by Australia at all venues: 32 (31-32) London, 2002

Most tries scored by Australia at all venues: 11 (76-0) Brisbane, 1998
    Most tries scored by Australia in England: 3 on six occasions (1908, 1928, 1948, 1984, 1988 & 2002)

Most tries conceded by Australia at all venues: 4, London, 1928 & London, 1988
    Most tries conceded by Australia in England: 4, London 1928, & London, 1988

Rookie
    vCash
    like the team alot.. good on quade being rewarded for a great game.. and i cant wait to see digby running a muck in the centres

vCash
    0 Force in the starting 15, 7 Brumbies, 5 Reds and 3 Tahs ...

4 Force and 3 Tahs on the bench.

gives us 7 Brumbies,6 Tahs,5 Reds,4 Force in the team.

I guess if I was going to twist this, it would seem that the Deans is relying on the Force boys to be the finishers! We all know how well we (Wallabies) usually go after half time (BTW - I haven't actually checked previous rosters)

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    It will be very exciting to watch and a quantum leap forward for the Wallabies.

Will it be a case of live by the sword die by the sword!

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Love the team..go the Wallabies..woohoo.

Champion
    vCash
    Feel for Pocock he played well I thought......... EWF hard done by...... but they will be fresher and more hingrey for the 2010 season. I mention in a prev post Digby for 13 as long as he remembers to pass the ball when he goes on his head down arse up runs. Cooper at 12 wont work u have too individual play makers there each trying their own crafty moves to impress Deans.... back fire u watch

vCash
    I saw some of the boys (Cooper, Ashley-Cooper, G. Smith, O'Connor and Genia) when I collected my tickets for the Wales game... Genia was being interviewed on the sofa next to me
    And my friend is trying to talk me into buying a ticket for this weekend's match... 60 quid, sooo tempting.

Adore this life
    There is no guarantee
    Could end by tomorrow

vCash
    wow, im a little nervous about the Cooper-Ioane centre pairing, but i do like having a second playmaker and AAC at 15..

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDAVEY View Post
    Feel for Pocock he played well I thought......... EWF hard done by...... but they will be fresher and more hingrey for the 2010 season. I mention in a prev post Digby for 13 as long as he remembers to pass the ball when he goes on his head down arse up runs. Cooper at 12 wont work u have too individual play makers there each trying their own crafty moves to impress Deans.... back fire u watch
    Hasn't two playmakers been the plan all along and worked well (when Barnes has been fit)? Don't see why the playmakers trying craft moves will back fire. That's what the Wallabies have been MISSING all year! Wtach the last game again. How many moves did the backline execute? I can't think of any! I can remember about 30 or 40 one-out hit ups.... I think this backline is going to destroy em- watch for Gits and Cooper running two waves of attack like they did with Barnes. Wallabies by 20+!

vCash
    Tentatively happy about Cooper's #12. Gits will shield him from some of the pressure, which is is kryptonite. I would expect, as the game continues, him to move more frequently into first receiver and direct play a bit more with his long passing game.

Digby and Drew sharing a wing! the left side won't be short of quicks, Hopefully Quade at 12 will make the right selections on when to cut Digby out, because he's not really used to passing the ball. Drew's pretty good chasing kicks down and any decent winger can chuck a deft grubber in to extend the run, so that might be a tactic that will be used. Drew defending outside Digby will also be good. Digby is an agressive defender who'll make the poms work BEFORE they get to Drew, that should help out a lot.

My only real concern is the kicking skills in the team. TOCC says Quade isn't noted for kicking out of hand. Digby likewise and we all know what I think of Drew and Gits kicking in general play.

We're stuffed if AAC is the only alternate kicker to Genia.........at least it'll make for lots of running rugby!

Bring it OOOOOOOOn!

C'mon the

vCash
    Really please Deans and crew made some genuine changes for this weekend match at Twickenham. It shows they're looking to manage the whole tour group to win the grand slam. Resting Smith last week ( dead rubber) and bring him in for Twickers is a smart move, Smith will do well and Pocock will get a run later in the match and will also be fresher for Ireland the following week. Also pleased about seeing Digby at 13, geeee its nearly a Reds backline line Genia, Cooper Digby and Hynes... I hope thats a good thing.

Lets hope the guys have worked out their lineout shenanigans... Scrum will be good. Quade Cooper deserved a run this weekend and ot frees up AAC to play at 15 and only one position in this match...

Bring it on... Wallabies by +13...

Twickenham Weather: 9°C Feels Like 7°C
    Chance of Precip. 20% . Partly Cloudy . Night possible showers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Evie View Post
    I saw some of the boys (Cooper, Ashley-Cooper, G. Smith, O'Connor and Genia) when I collected my tickets for the Wales game... Genia was being interviewed on the sofa next to me
    And my friend is trying to talk me into buying a ticket for this weekend's match... 60 quid, sooo tempting.
    Show off

vCash
    I couldn't resist... I'm going!!!

Adore this life
    There is no guarantee
    Could end by tomorrow

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Evie View Post
    I couldn't resist... I'm going!!!
    balancing my envious disgust with a praise!

C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast