Thread: Matt henjak' Is he the right man for the Job

vCash

Matt henjak' Is he the right man for the Job

Can someone please help me here? I am very confused with the proformance of Matt Henjak in his last few games he has protential but I feel he does not seem to take part in team talks on the field, Is slow and indecisive with the play making,
    Please correct me if i am wrong but I see Chris O'Young doing a great job.
    Since I dont live and train with the team nor I am part of the selection squad I may not see the big picture But the on field Profromance is all I see and there is a big difference when Chris hits the park.
    The tean had as normal some great showings in the Auckland Game tonight with real promise.
    I would like some other people comments about my post to help me get it right

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I dont think Henjak had as bad a game as others. It was a fair effort to muster the backs after the loss of Hilgendorf. Some of his darting runs were pretty good but lacked the back up from fellow players.
    His big mistake I think was just before he was replaced when he stood back ala Gregan throwing his hands up at his thoughts of a ruck indescretion while the opposition player picked up the ball and ran through the ruck.

Last edited by travelling_gerry; 15-04-06 at 09:07. Reason: spullin

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Henjak played his best game so far on Friday and I thought he had found a wee bit of confidence, which was good to see. I think it's very hard to compare Young with Henjak as Young's style is completely different and when he comes on the game is generally operating under a different dynamic.

The unfortunate thing is it's easy to place blame on a single player. I think in this case Henjak started the season off well below expectations, this coupled with the hype, the importance of the position he plays and his cocky style has made him the easiest target in the team. I am as much to blame as anybody for targeting him but I believe that it is time to back off and let him play.

Don't take this as a criticism Mowerman, it's just the way I see it.

Just happy to be here

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I think that you all raise some very good points.

Mowerman I have to agree with you, I got the same impression as you a couple of weeks ago. His (Henjacks) involvement with the team with respect to team huddles appears to be non-existant. Its like he doesnt have any friends on the team or the team has lost confidence in him as a player and/or team mate.

A couple of weeks ago whilst watching the boys on Fox. There was an incident when Hingy yelled out to Henjack something along the lines of "Hey, whats the $%#$ing call" the camera then zoomed in on Hingy who was shaking his head in disgust. Now I could be wrong about this - but perception is everything.

I am sure i heard or read somewhere that O'Young, Hingendorf and Shepherd all used to play in the same team together. Maybe someone can confirm or deny that one for me.

My support of the team has not diminished - but if there is some infighting that we arent aware of, something needs to be done about it and quickly. Our teams continual shocking run of injuries is bad enough but if we have a personality clash with in the team that is a major problem.

But I do have to say this - the difference in how the team plays when O'Young is on the paddock is amazing, and I really would like to see him play a full game.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Agree 100% with Exile & Mowerman. The body language on the field is not positive for Henjak, and my perception is also that he doesn't have the confidence of players around him (or his captain).

Nobody wants to target players, and to be fair, I believe Henjak has had his chance to shine. But his inconsistent almost casual approach amongst the bits of brilliance and mistakes, is not what Force needs.
    As I've posted before Force needs a 'stock in trade' half, which O'Young is, doing his job of delivering crisp clean quick ball to the backs, eg by trailling the rucks with some urgency.

Its no coincidence that in the Stormers game which we looked able to win right from the very start, that O'Young started the game.

I believe the time has come, given the injuries and losses, for J'Mitchell to rip up the sweetheart promises made to players -before recruitment and the season began- and stick to the formula that 'the team needs wins' - whatever has to be done!

Sharpie and senior players could perhaps have a word with the coach, or call a meeting with him.

From many years coaching junior teams across different sports, my instincts tell me that O'Young is the man for the job. Henjak may yet reform coming off the bench, but I didn't see too much change with him when he started the game again v H'landers.

Force can't afford to carry a player with big wraps. We want form and results. Thanks Mowerman-its been on my mind to make 'a big call' on this issue, and I've waited till the NZ tour ended to see which way the coach and captain would go on the question. Enough is enough.

Your point TRG is precise. I feel that Henjak has understudied Gregan too much-- to the point of imitating him. Buts he's not George, the Australian half and former captain! Matthew has to learn to develop his own game, and be more observant at ruck and scrum for the ball.

Please don't take any of this as a personal affront Matthew- you're a fine young half who has all the skills, and one day they'll all gel together and you'll blow teams off the park. The Force however is a professional team that needs results, with some consistency and confidence.

vCash
    Thanks Guys and Gals
    I think my thoughts were on the minds of others but I also dont want to be seen a targeting 1 player.

vCash
    Nobody wants to target any of the players. But both codes of Rugby revolve around the halves. In RU the half mostly gives good clean ball and the 10 mostly steers the team around the park. If the 10 is continually getting the ball on the back foot the team is going backwards. It's not rocket science. O'Young has not done anything to make me think he's not up to the job. We've lost Jimmy Hilgendorf for the season but he was at his most effective when O'Young started the game against The Bulls. He ran strongly at the line and breached on plenty of occasions. I'd really like to see Daruda given a chance outside O'Young. Particularly in Africa.

vCash
    OK...Is it just me or am I surrounded by very smart people who know a lot more than me? jeeeeeeeesuuuuus

Just happy to be here

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    no, it's not just you ..

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash

Last edited by The EnForcer; 18-04-06 at 11:54.
    Just happy to be here

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer
    OK...Is it just me or am I surrounded by very smart people who know a lot more than me? jeeeeeeeesuuuuus
    no its not just you mate, and yes you are surrounded by very smart people

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Every rugby side needs a good number 9. I think O'Young has better vision then Henjak. Hell, I think the entire Force Front Row could make better decisions than Henjak. They'd probably even pass the ball better! O'Young appears to have earned the trust and support of his teammates, which is essential. As far as the number 10 position is concerned: I think Deruda is better than James, but I haven't particularly enjoyed watching either of them. And yes, the flyhalf and scrumhalf positions do decide the flow and outcome of a game. It is possible to blame the performance of a team on one or two players. Look at the difference Hilgendorf made!

vCash
    I apologise for my previous post. It was a little on the negative side. I have a cold and am feeling emotional and fragile *sniff*!

Henjak has not been playing as well as one would expect for a man who has worn the Wallaby jumper before. If Henjak were South African then I would have to say that he was throwing the game or something (Hansie Henjak?). I have "faith" that Henjak will silence his critics by winning the game for the Force against the Crusaders with some spectacular individual efforts!

And the pathetic Blues had to resort to cheating to win last week... The points for that game should have been awarded to the Force as a penalty!

vCash
    I am of the opinion that o`young is the better no.9, and henjack is too interested in himself than the team( as shown by his lack of enthusiasm to engage with huddles on field), but this is only my opinion. He seems to be one of the mythical "pretty boys" often refered to by us forwards as backs, ie, looking good is more important than playing good. Hope i haven`t offended too many backs out there, and if i have, i do apologise.