EVERY Wallaby captain has a different style and in tomorrow night's Bledisloe Test in Tokyo I will harness threads from all the top leaders I've played under.
I feel lucky to have had experience under such a cross-section of captains because being adaptable on and off the field will be vital on this tour.

George Gregan had enormous clarity with his group. Phil Waugh's work ethic in every game, Stirling Mortlock's big-moments mojo, the way Chris Whitaker holds his audience ... you'd love all those traits.

I'm reasonably quiet, but the volume certainly lifts on the field.

It's important to be tough on setting standards and looking after your own performance is crucial. Being hard on "non-negotiables" is paramount, but the last thing you want to do is rant and scare impromptu play out of everyone.

Plenty of NZ fans have questioned the value of a fourth Bledisloe match in Japan, but it presents an opportunity we are grateful for.

The only high respect you win as a Wallaby is by beating the All Blacks.

The negative in rating our three Tests against them is no one within our side believes we have played close to our potential.

We badly want to win and get a game rolling, week after week, that's difficult to stop in London, Dublin, Edinburgh and Cardiff.

Against the All Blacks in Wellington, our prop Ben Alexander had some difficulties with Tony Woodcock. The referee got involved. Instead, of getting bogged down in it, Benny handled it really well. He didn't argue, he took it in and he finished the Test well. He adapted.

Being adaptable means off the field as well. We're on a team bus for 90 minutes just to get to training every day in Tokyo. The food can do strange things with your stomach. The squad has had some significant changes with Berrick Barnes hurting his ankle and being ruled out, but that is no reason for anything less than a complete performance.

The starting XV has changed a bit since we last played. I'd have been as mad as a cut snake if I'd lost my starting spot or been removed from the bench, but it is important not to let your disappointment affect the group. George Smith is a great example of that.

Probably the most decorated Wallaby of the last decade, he's probably not ecstatic at the moment but it's a really good sign for the team that there's no negative emotion out there and he's helping Dave Pocock, at flanker, as much as anyone by being that way.

I have played under four main captains and each had his own strengths.

GEORGE GREGAN

George was a master at sizing up situations and giving clear directions on what to do. Part of pre-game directions, or the right words in the last 15 minutes, is they are specific so players can use it.

Specific detail was always important for him, clarifying simple things reduces anxiety.

PHIL WAUGH

His value to NSW is he works hard every minute. Anyone who saw the last Bledisloe in 2006 won't forget it. He gave them absolute hell for every minute he was out there. That stuff wins matches.

STIRLING MORTLOCK

Stirlo always has a lot of energy and has always stood up in big moments. He puts himself in position to come up with the big plays because of his drive.

CHRIS WHITAKER

"Whits" captained me at NSW and with Leinster. Though mild-mannered, he commanded respect.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225792572557