Bret Harris | October 20, 2009

Article from: The Australian

THIS time last year David Pocock was preparing for the Wallabies' tour of Hong Kong and Europe as an uncapped rookie, but he will head to the northern hemisphere again on Saturday as the incumbent openside flanker in the Test team.

It has been a remarkable rise for Zimbabwe-born Pocock, who started his international career behind Test veterans George Smith and Phil Waugh.
Pocock displaced Waugh as the back-up number seven in the 22-man Test squad this year and by the end of the domestic season had pushed Smith to number eight.
Significantly, Australia coach Robbie Deans substituted Smith in the last 10 minutes of the 33-6 loss to the All Blacks in Wellington, leaving Pocock to compete with New Zealand captain Richie McCaw at openside flanker.

"It has been a big 12 months," Pocock said. "I've really enjoyed it. I feel like I'm improving as a player.

"Either way, if you are coming off the bench or starting, it's a good opportunity to contribute to the team.

"To feel that you have made the jumper your own is a bit naive."

The backrow is one of the most competitive areas in the team. Deans has started eight players in the three loose-forward positions in 10 games this year.

The only certainty about the backrow for the Test against the All Blacks in Tokyo on Saturday week is that captain Rocky Elsom will start at blindside flanker.
"It's really competitive," Pocock said. "There are a lot of backrowers and they have all been given pretty good game time by the coaches.
"It's good for the team when you've got so many blokes going for the same positions.
"I don't think anyone knows where they stand at the moment.
"We just have to do the best we can at training and next week when they announce the team we'll see what combination they go with."

None of Australia's backrowers, Smith included, plays as hard on the ball as Pocock, but he will look to rediscover his ball-running skills on this tour.
"I've worked on a few areas of my game," Pocock said. "A bit more in attack ... running lines and all the rest.

"It's finding that balance. As a seven, your priority is that first breakdown. Then you've got to get up and look for work.

"It's being able to read the game. Reading where to pop up. The great players do it so well. They always seem to pop up at the right time. It comes with a bit of experience too."

Pocock made his run-on debut against Italy in Melbourne in June and reclaimed the starting position for the last two Tri-Nations Tests against South Africa and New Zealand.

The Wallabies' impressive 21-6 win against the Springboks in Brisbane was their only success in the tournament, but it was followed by their worst performance against the All Blacks in Wellington two weeks later.

"It was a good win in Brisbane," said Pocock, who was the first openside flanker to get the better of Springbok number seven Heinrich Brussow this year.
"It was very enjoyable. And then two weeks later to go down against the All Blacks was pretty disappointing.

"We've got an opportunity in Tokyo to work on a lot of stuff that we didn't do too well in Wellington."

The Wallabies are facing a seventh straight loss to the All Blacks, which is unpalatable to Pocock.

"We just have to turn up on the day and actually do what we talked about," Pocock said.

"It is a case of getting out there and playing good rugby.

"To go a full year without beating the All Blacks would be pretty tough.

"You don't want to dwell on it too much, but it is a motivating factor. We've come pretty close in two of the games. Our challenge is to put a full 80 minutes together against them.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html