Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tens Rugby?

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Tens Rugby?

Where's it at?

I haven't seen that much of 10's, but have always REALLY enjoyed it when I have - it's like 7's rugby with balls.

iRB should come up with some rules and look into it further - it's a sadly negelected sport.

This analogy has no foundation whatsoever - but expanding on Deans' cricket comparision - if 7's ~ One Day Cricket, Rugby ~ Test Cricket then 10's could be the equivalent of Twenty/20 cricket which I hear is a huge popular and commercial success....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    7s is far too established at an international level for 10s to ever challenge it - more than 100 years of history, 3 decades of the Hong Kong event, 4 World Cups, the IRB Sevens World Series, the Women's World Cup and now the Olympics has seen to that.

However, where 10s does have a real role to play is below the international level (much like 20/20 for that matter). I remember the Ballymore 10s in the mid-90s were quite successful but 10s real strength is at the domestic level as a development tool.

I use the example of somewhere like Indonesia - you have clubs in Jakarta, Bandung, Kalimantan, Bali, Maluku, Papua and probably other places I'm forgetting. Apart from Jakarta they don't have anywhere near the amount of players to start local competitions and they don't have anywhere near amount of money to start a national competition on such a large archipelago.

The way that Indonesian rugby deals with this is by staging regular 10s tournament around the country such as the ones in Jakarta and Bali. This way they can give all their clubs regular hit outs against each other, allowing them proper competition and a chance to gauge standards across the country. This was the basis that they built from in creating the IRFU and the Indonesian Rhinos national team a few years ago.

vCash
    Maybe we should have 13's as well. Get rid of the line out and pushing in the scrums, and then let the tackled player up to play the ball again.

Leave it as a 15 man and the 7's format please.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    Maybe we should have 13's as well. Get rid of the line out and pushing in the scrums, and then let the tackled player up to play the ball again.
    A WRLF initiative

Veteran
    vCash
    10's is fun, great for when u can't get a full team together. We played it at the Mt Barker 10's, and the Bali 10's has just been.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Back in my youth the team I was the manager of used to get a regular invite to the Jabiru 10's, located in the middle of the Kakadu National Park - they were some good times.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I'd've said 15s = Test cricket, 10's = one day and 7's = T20, in terms of both relationship to each other and apparent popularity.

My opinion is probably well known, which is that I prefer Tens over Sevens as it is recognisably Union. It is not that obscure a form of rugby either - from memory they have been playing the Hong Kong Tens during the week before the HK 7s since the mid-80's, the Cobras invitational is heading towards it's fortieth year and Cape Town has just established their tournament to a good deal of interest. There is (or was) a fair bit of vision on youtube of the Cobra Tens.

Harking back to previous discussions, I note with interest that there have already been several suggestions that non-Union players will be targetted for Olympic Sevens, as predicted and debated...

vCash
    *Off topic*

Would be interesting to see players from which other sports try their hand at 7s. League won't make the Olympics now, and AFL has been mentioned for Australia, but what about other countries?

NFL/CFL won't make the Olympics, but some players might be able to make the cross-over.
    Anyone seen Kabaddi in India? Awesome sport and the tackling and evasion skills would make them attractive to a coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    from memory they have been playing the Hong Kong Tens during the week before the HK 7s since the mid-80's
    Yeah but compare the profile of the two tournaments. As I mentioned above, I do agree that 10s has a role to play but people are dreaming if they think 10s will ever replace 7s at the top level.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I can't see it either, but I agree with Coach when he says the IRB should be looking ahead. Sevens is all well and good, but the Olympics will come to dominate everything (possibly to the detriment of the historical competitions). If countries outside the normal 15s sphere start to play 7s because of the Olympic status, it won't translate into an interest in 15s unless there is some equivalent means to train and finance development of front row fatties. A bunch of players that have only ever played 7s through school and college would far more easily constitute a League team than Union, and I'm sure that point isn't lost on the NRL in their ambitions to expand their international credentials.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    The Cobra 10's tournament will be played in KL in November this year. The tournament is an invitational international clubs competition.

This year Associates will field a team which I believe is the first time a WA team has been in the competition.

Good luck Soaks!

P.S - I should be able to keep you all posted as one of they guys that works with us who also was part of the Soaks 2 Grade Premiers this year is part of the squad. Go Buckets.

Last edited by The InnFORCEr; 21-10-09 at 14:38.
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Harking back to previous discussions, I note with interest that there have already been several suggestions that non-Union players will be targetted for Olympic Sevens, as predicted and debated...
    I hope not personally, but a precedent may have been set earlier this year when Australia won the Women's Rugby World Cup Sevens with a squad that included several members of the Australian touch football team that had been scouted specifically for the purpose.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    7's players could easily be sourced from league and rugby - iRB just happened to ratify the rules/regulations first and thus "own" sevens. They should do the same with Tens. It's lack of popularity compared with sevens is quite probably due to the fact that there are no "official" rules. Tens is much more closely aligned with rugby than 7's.

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Personally I think the popularity issue is just that 7s came first but, still, that is how history panned out. I tend to agree with WRF on this one - ratify the rules if need be but leave 15s and 7s as the official versions of the game at the international level. There's no reason 10s can't thrive below that. I don't want to see rugby turn in to cricket.

vCash
    but playing rugby with wooden bats would be pretty cool!

C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast