Thread: Dunning puts trials of the past behind him

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Dunning puts trials of the past behind him

RUPERT GUINNESS

October 14, 2009 - 11:17PM
    WALLABIES prop Matt Dunning was surprised to hear coach Robbie Deans saying he ''forced his hand'' for selection in the 35-man squad for the end-of-season tour during the internal trial game last Thursday.

''I was a bit disappointed with the intra trial,'' Dunning said yesterday after the Wallabies trained at Victoria Barracks. ''A few parts of my game were a bit off. I had resigned myself [to the prospect] that perhaps I wouldn't go on the tour.''

What did he feel was wrong? ''I guess getting into the flow of the game … but maybe that was the case with that sort of trial. It wasn't a game really, but [more like have] a scrum here, play a bit, [have] a scrum there. Maybe everyone felt that way.''

Not that Dunning waited for feedback after the game. ''I didn't talk to anyone,'' he said. ''I skipped off back [home] to Berowra and thought about it.''

It was while watching the Presidents Cup golf tournament the next afternoon that the former Waratahs forward - who next season will play for the Western Force - learned of his selection. It marks a stunning comeback from a snapped Achilles tendon, suffered in a scrum while playing for the Wallabies against the Barbarians in London almost a year ago, that threatened his career.

The 30-year-old veteran of 43 Tests admitted he had mixed emotions after being told of his selection.

''At first when I heard I was excited. The first thought was: 'Good.' But then it was: 'Now you have to play well.' A bit of anxiety comes on,'' he said.

''Initially it is: 'Making this squad is one thing, but now you have to perform in the jersey.' The worst thing would be to get picked on this tour, go over there and make an arse of yourself and play crap. What have you achieved? Nothing really. But as I thought about it more, and the more I talked to people and thought about the football, the excitement started coming.''

However, Dunning didn't want to dwell on the triumph for too long.

''There is always enough people patting you on the back,'' he said. ''You accept that and acknowledge it. But I've always had a fear that if you pat yourself on the back, you will stop from moving forward. And that's the end of you.''

Some thought it was the end for Dunning when was felled that day at Wembley. Not that Dunning listened.

After undergoing an operation by Dr Kim Slater - the surgeon Dunning attributes his comeback to - he put himself through tireless rehabilitation. After being given the green light to play again, he set about proving his worth by playing for his Sydney club, Eastwood, in the Shute Shield.

''The week-in, week-out footy helped,'' he said. ''You have to play with bumps and bruises when you're not feeling good. In Super 14 they rest props. You play 40 minutes, then get a rest. It's not the same pace as rep football. But it was definitely good for me. It got me where I am now anyway.''

Dunning is one of six Wallabies props in a squad that will play England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales after New Zealand in Tokyo on October 31. His experience and an ability to play loose and tight head should help his selection odds, although he suspects his return in a Wallabies jersey will be against Gloucester, four days before the England Test.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I still remember that weird feeling between a trial and the team announcement, strangest days of sport really.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Player
    vCash
    It's interesting, I think I (and probably most others) had all but ruled out a return for Dunning to the Wallabies, but in reality he's still only 30 and has his best years as a tight-head still in front of him. He may well push on for the 2011 WC. A great signing for the Force I think with his experience (and drop goal abilities!!)

Veteran
    vCash
    yeah i've said it before, if can do for us what Ben Castle did, then it is a great pick up. You didnt see ben running around alot, but he was always the quiet achiever, who anchored the scrum excellently.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Dunning should relish the friendly media stories while they last. As soon as he puts on the ocean blue the knives will come out and every time they talk about him they'll dredge up a 1001 things wrong he did in Sydney and some how make that the Force's fault.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.