Thread: Coach spits the dummy at Force over NPC

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Coach spits the dummy at Force over NPC

Burgs: Great to see it didn't take long for for the true colours to come out of Sydneytown over the dumb convicts in Swan River Colony!!!
    I don't agree with the players being farmed out to the NPC either however, I find this article to be written and Hickey to be talking in an incredibly patronising manner.
    I wonder if they (both Kimber and Hickey) would use the same style if Link MacKenzie did something that Sydney Club rugby didn't agree with?
    Personally, I think it is very self serving that Hickey wants all the players to be available to their East Coast Clubs.
    If there is a better alternative that benefits the Force (and therefore Western Australian Rugby) then I fully support that action being taken in the short term.
    The Western Force expansion will not have been truely a success until the WA Premier Grade is an equal in standard to the Sydney and Brisbane Premier Grade and if to facilitate that we need to think outside the box to get the best results then that's what needs to happen.
    And that, Mr Hickey, is what will best benefit Australian Rugby, an extra ten elite teams running out every weekend.

Coach takes swipe at Force over NPC

By Ben Kimber
    Wednesday, April 12, 2006

EASTWOOD coach Chris Hickey last night called on the ARU to rein in the Western Force as it emerged the fledgling franchise was investigating placing players in New Zealand's NPC competition this season.

After raiding the club ranks of Sydney and Brisbane to secure the bulk of its squad, the Perth-based side's management team has investigated several options for its players post-Super 14 other than returning them to their east coast clubs.

Suggested avenues the team has explored include an original aim to have a team in the Sydney competition, which the NSWRU swiftly indicated it would not sanction, or matches against touring teams, or a possible tour of South Africa.

But as the end of the Super 14 fast approaches without any indications of their plans, West Australian sources last night confirmed the latest scenario appears to involve the distribution of a selection of players into the New Zealand domestic competition for matches outside of this year's Australian Provincial Championship, which is scheduled to take place in September.

Sydney's clubs are already furious at their treatment after grooming players for the next level and then being ignored, and this development will raise their ire even more as it appears to be a departure from the Force's previous stated claims of not allowing players to return east.

"It's for the benefit of all the Super 14 teams, not just the Waratahs, for the Sydney clubs to remain strong," Hickey said last night. "To take players out of them, and then send them over to the NPC, well, that's great for New Zealand rugby but it doesn't do much for Australian rugby.

"There's been so many mixed messages coming out of Perth, and there's been a failure by them to communicate with anyone in Sydney, that it's hard to tell, but this seems to be a departure from their previous reasoning about keeping players together to prepare."

Hickey believes it is time for the ARU to become involved to ensure the best interests of Australian rugby are assured by maintaining strong levels of domestic competition.

"If they [Force] do go down that track, we'd hope the ARU would take a decision that is for the benefit of Australian rugby," he said. "And if that means enforcing that these players play in an Australian competition, then so be it. Sometimes decisions have to be made by the governing body that benefit everybody and not just one particular organisation. The Force need to be a part of Australian rugby, not a law unto themselves."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I was very surprised when I saw that Burgs and I can see why Sydney clubs are pissed... The whole reason we said that players couldn't go back to their clubs was that we were meant to be growing the competition over here and lifting the standard.

Thats not going to happen by sending the guys to the NZ NPC... I am really opposed to the idea. At the end of the day I think the guys should play in the WA Premier Grade and if they need more game time as a team then go on tour at the end of the year like the Warratahs did last year.

We are never going to grow rugby here if the top players dont compete in the local comp. I think another way to help the growth of rugby would be to play WA Premier Grade matches as curtain raisers to some of the home games (ones played on saturday perhaps), to help raise the profile in the community. Anything that increases the awareness of the comp in the general public is a good thing and can only help the codes growth and development.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Incompetent isn't the right word... But its the first one that comes to mind.
    -- Chuck Palahniuk.

vCash
    That's a good idea Rodent. I've always thought that Saturday is a more appropriate day for Force games and for WARU 1st grade to play before would be great exposure for them and the fans at Subi.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I would agree with that too fellas, although the obvious trouble is that the seasons don't overlap all that much.
    In 2007 we have three of the last six matches at home so you would hope that six teams, or all of them with double headers, could be exposed to playing in front of big crowds and, as you suggest, raise the profile of Club rugby.
    I think RugbyWA just need to do a little creative fixturing to get more of the local content on the big stage more often. Perhaps a Sevens tournament for the day leading to kick off for the Force match as a pre season advert.
    There has been some pre match schools games played but this year they have generally not been that widely publicised.
    Re Force players, I totally agree that the first option should be to retain them in the WA Club Season and then tour after that. There would be plenty of takers still playing at that time of the year who would jump at the chance to play an APC level Western Force.
    Not only would these players get a well rounded exposure o other styles of rugby to combat but the touring aspect has huge benefits in team building and learning how to tour as well to take back into the S14 in the following season. Areas to consider would be Eastern Europe, Southern Africa, North America and Asia. The four mentioned could become part of a four year cycle to ensure plenty of variety for the squad.
    I would suggest the Pacific Islands however I think they would be out of season and without there top players.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Burgs - where have you seen the 2007 schedule?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mambo No. 5
    Burgs - where have you seen the 2007 schedule?
    It was on the ARU site before the season in PDF format earlier on but seems to have gone. Just the fixtures with no dates/venues rigbt thru to 2010. I've got it in PDF form at work if you want it I could post it as an atachment, Mambo. But it's bascially the opposite home/away to this year.

vCash
    That would be great Shasta. I heard rumours that we are playing two east coast games in a row. Sounded like a great road trip.

vCash

Unhappy

The only way the Force will last long term(and that is the objective surly) is for it to be made up of predominantly home grown players in the future. For that to hapen Force players must play in Perth club teams. This will give promising players in Perth exposure to elite players, the way they train and thier mind-set. I'm sure after 5 or 6 years we will see talented young players with top level training and mentoring behind them comeing through to, at least super 14 level. It will be painfull and it may slow development of the Force short term but it must be done for long term viability, or the force will go the way of the Western Reds and no one but Melbourne want that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mambo No. 5
    That would be great Shasta. I heard rumours that we are playing two east coast games in a row. Sounded like a great road trip.
    Sorry Mambo I sent that fixture to my home e mail last night as an attachment. It hasn't made it. Bloody IT security sweep at work maybe. I'm not back at work for a week now but I'll give it another shot if you still want - unless Burgs comes back from wherever he's been lately and directs you to it.

If he keeps on with the cone of silence somebody may just catch him for number of posts to TWF ....................... Nah! never happen

Maybe some of his steaks have got away and he's out after them

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta
    unless Burgs comes back from wherever he's been lately and directs you to it.

If he keeps on with the cone of silence somebody may just catch him for number of posts to TWF ....................... Nah! never happen

Maybe some of his steaks have got away and he's out after them
    Burgs is away till Tuesday - it would appear he does have a life outside TWF

Anyway, here it is: Super 14 Fixtures, 2006 - 2010

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    It's ok everybody, I'm home again, don't fret
    Purely recreational, steak machines are chewing their collective cuds nicely.
    Looks like Coach to the rescue as always Mambo, my reference is from downloading it at the start of the year like Shasta.

For easy reference for all, 2007 allows an extra home game and a visit from the rest of the other teams and is planned as follows:

1. Highlanders (H)
    2. Stormers (A)
    3. Bulls (A)
    4. Cats (H)
    5. Waratahs (A)
    6. Hurricanes (H)
    7. Reds (H)
    8. BYE
    9. Sharks (H)
    10. Crusaders (A)
    11. Chiefs (A)
    12. Brumbies (A)
    13. Cheetahs (H)
    14. Blues (H)

There has been some talk behind the scenes here at TWF of turning Rounds 10, 11 & 12 into a roadtrip. PM or email me if you are interested in pursuing this concept any further as we may be able to knock together a group deal on tickets and transport if we plan it with plenty of lead time.
    Long term I would hope to be able to alternate year about between the two other nations for a two or three week road trip to support the boys.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Melbourne is evil!!! lol I think western force can be a long term team I have faith! and wooo! for local rugby ... we should see more of it! to tell you the truth before the RWC 2003 i didnt even think we had local rugby teams in perth ... but now i know!!! muhahaha and they wont be safe anymore!!!

vCash
    Coach - can you put that S14 schedule 06-10 on a dedicated thread so that it will be easy to find and refer to ? Probably S14 forum is best place . I want to do some figuring on it for a post, cos big discrepancies this year with the amount of weeks away for different teams. That should all even out over a five year period (will check and post), but a quick look shows that fifth year same as first !

Its probably impossible to get every team similar with the amounts of weeks touring away, and across three nations etc , but you'd like to think there was some kind of level playing field attempt!
    Thanks in advance!