Thread: Storm centre Will Chambers chases Premiership before switching to Queensland Reds

vCash

Storm centre Will Chambers chases Premiership before switching to Queensland Reds

i guess i have a reason to support the storm this weekend

Storm centre Will Chambers chases Premiership before switching to Queensland Reds
    BEFORE this season Storm centre Will Chambers hadn't played finals football, and unless the Queensland Reds' rebirth happens far more quickly than most expect, he might have a while to wait until his next campaign.
    Win or lose, Sunday's grand final against Parramatta will bring down the curtain on the 21-year-old's Storm career.

Next season the Northern Territory product will move north to Brisbane to link with the Reds.

In the time since he put pen to paper the Super 14 franchise has been turned on its head. Star back Berrick Ba rnes has departed, so too coach Phil Mooney and his staff.

Chambers knows he has some challenging times ahead as the Reds rebuild, but for now he is determined to ensure his first shot at the finals reaps the ultimate prize.

"I know that this is it, but we are in a grand final, that has to be my focus, doing my part for the club," Chambers said.

"There has been a bit of extra motivation because I have made a lot of mates down here. It is a great club and I have really matured as a footballer during my time here.

"Just to get a chance to play finals, this as my first finals series has been really special. It is everything you dream of as a kid.

"Next year will be a new challenge and I'm looking forward to that as well.

"I have loved my time in Melbourne, but you can't get emotional about it. It's just life in professional sport."

Last weekend Chambers marked good mate Israel Folau as the Storm sent the Broncos packing.

The meeting had a certain amount of symmetry about it given their first meeting this year - in a trial match between Melbourne and Brisbane on the Sunshine Coast - served as the starting point in the rebuilding of Chambers' career.

Groomed to replace Melbourne's former Test centre Matt King at the start of the 2008 season, Chambers was just finding his feet when in round 10 his knee buckled and he was sent for a reconstruction.

"At the start of the year I just wanted to make the side again," Chambers said.

Coming back from the knee, I had a bit of ground to make up. I didn't have the best start but the coach kept faith in me, and was very positive helping me get through it and rebuild some confidence. That took time, just getting used to playing again.

"I hadn't played footy for nine months. As a kid you play all the time and then all of a sudden it gets taken away and it really makes you realise what it means to you.

"I had some doubts there for a while, but since that first trial game against the Broncos it has slowly come back to me."

The Storm were not the only ones disappointed to see Chambers switch codes, with the powerful centre part of Queensland's Emerging Origin squad last year.

"It's disappointing to see Will go," Queensland coach Mal Meninga said.

"We thought he had a bit to offer at the next level. He seems to be enjoying his football at the moment, but obviously he has his reasons for going to union."

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...003409,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    He is fast. Thats got to be good.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    yeah, i dont think his that fast, his more of the big physical centre type player then anything, defence is probably his strongest facet

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Where do you want him to play for the Reds, TOCC? 12 or 13 or elsewhere? You could play a pretty slick backline with Turinui and Chambers in the centres, Hynes and Ioane on the wings and McLinden at fullback. And for all the sh*t we give him, Quade Cooper is the kind of fly-half who can really ignite a bunch of guys like that. Hell even I'm excited about the potential of the Reds backline next year.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    It will be good for us all to have a strong QLD team.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Where do you want him to play for the Reds, TOCC? 12 or 13 or elsewhere? You could play a pretty slick backline with Turinui and Chambers in the centres, Hynes and Ioane on the wings and McLinden at fullback. And for all the sh*t we give him, Quade Cooper is the kind of fly-half who can really ignite a bunch of guys like that. Hell even I'm excited about the potential of the Reds backline next year.
    well the reds dont even have a coach for 2010 yet, but i guess the lineup you mentioned could work out well

vCash
    Isn't that Ewan bloke available?

Gigsa made me do it

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    well the reds dont even have a coach for 2010 yet, but i guess the lineup you mentioned could work out well
    I still think a Todd Louden and Jim Williams combo would be pretty awesome. I reckon those two would be able to bring a lot of Queenslands' stars back if they put together a semi-decent maiden season. Players have a lot of respect of Louden and surely Williams' time with the players at the Wallabies will have a good influence too.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Chambers would see more ball as a Reds ball boy than playing the their backline...

vCash
    the same reds backline which equalled the brumbies in scoring tries

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    the same reds backline which equalled the brumbies in scoring tries
    You're referring to the eight try Brumbies blitz... in 2009? May I refresh your memory TOCC

Brumbies continue to torment the Reds
    May 3, 2009

Brumbies 52 Reds 13

THE Brumbies taught bumbling Queensland a lesson in attacking precision to keep their Super 14 finals hopes alive with a 52-13 thumping at Suncorp Stadium last night.

The ACT side continued their 14-year dominance over the Reds with a 14th victory from 15 Super matches and gained a vital bonus point in scoring seven tries to two.

The win moved the red-hot Brumbies to provisional joint fourth on the table midway through round 12 on 32 points - equal with the NSW Waratahs and Crusaders.

Veteran breakaway George Smith was superb for the visitors, who easily won the breakdown battle to bounce back from last week's record 56-7 loss to the pace-setting Hurricanes with their highest-ever score against the Reds.

While it was a wonderful night for the Brumbies, it was disastrous, even from before the first whistle, for Queensland.

Playmaker Berrick Barnes was a late scratching after suffering a groin strain in the warm-up to put a major dent in their hopes of a first successive win in three years.

The competition battlers also lost skipper James Horwill in the second half with an ankle problem which puts him in doubt for Friday night's match with the Crusaders, while backs Mark McLinden and Digby Ioane were also injured.

Hooker Sean Hardman had little to celebrate in his record-breaking 135th appearance for his state as rival rake and ex-Red Stephen Moore tasted a sweet victory against his old side.

Fellow former Queenslanders Gene Fairbanks and Mitchell Chapman, who combined for the first try in the 23rd minute, were also impressive for the Brumbies as were lock Peter Kimlin, two-try skipper Stephen Hoiles and prop Ben Alexander.

Without Barnes, Queensland lacked the tactical smarts to make the most of their opportunities while they also lacked the urgency and intensity of the previous week's upset of the Blues.

Horwill admitted the Brumbies, who effectively attacked the inside channel, came out with more desire.

"We just didn't work on the inside [in defence] and the Brumbies exploited it," he said.

The Brumbies need to win their final two games to reach the play-offs. They host the Blues next weekend before playing the Chiefs away.

Brumbies coach Andy Friend was delighted by his team's turnaround. "We've got a real sense of belief as a group," he said

The Reds may have to call on Academy and club players to scratch together 22 for their trip to Christchurch with Ioane (shoulder), McLinden (knee), Genia (finger and ribs), Peter Hynes (knee), Barnes and Horwill in doubt.

BRUMBIES 52 (Stephen Hoiles 2, Ben Alexander, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Francis Fainifo, Gene Fairbanks, Peter Kimlin tries Stirling Mortlock 7 cons pen) bt QUEENSLAND REDS 13 (Will Genia 2 tries Quade Cooper pen) at Suncorp Stadium. Referee: Ian Smith (AUS).

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/s...982465698.html

vCash
    and yet qld still scored the same amount of tries in 2009