Thread: The brothers rival for the Final: Shute Shield Sunday

vCash

Cool The brothers rival for the Final: Shute Shield Sunday

September 24, 2009

If you miss the Shute Shield grand final on Sunday but see one of the Halangahu brothers - Daniel or Antonio - doing something ''stupid'' after, you will know which side lost.

The two siblings play for rival clubs - Daniel, 25, as five-eighth for Sydney University and Antonio, 28, as the hooker and captain for Randwick.

And when they oppose each other at the Sydney Football Stadium on Sunday, it will most probably be for the last time, as Antonio leaves on Tuesday for Ireland to play for the Greystones club. Hence there will be an extra edge between the pair on field - and even off it if they make their traditional bet: that the loser ''has to do something stupid''.

Daniel Halangahu, who will be playing in his fifth grand final for the Students, who are chasing a fifth title, has not forgotten the last time he played against his elder brother.

University lost 20-14 to the Galloping Greens at Coogee Oval on May 9 - a game Daniel did not play because he was taking the field in the Super 14 for the Waratahs. But he played for the Students when they beat Randwick 55-22 in round 18 on August 1 - a win that earned him payback for the last time he lost to Antonio, who made him to catch the bus from Coogee to their home at Waterloo.

''I got to dress him for that night out - we had a family party to go to - [in] a pink shirt with yellow pants,'' Daniel Halangahu recalled, remaining coy about what Sunday's bet may be. ''We usually have a little bet before we play each other … like the loser has to do something stupid. But I don't know if that will happen this year. A grand final may be too serious for it.''

The siblings have opposed each other regularly for years - even in one grand final, when Antonio played off the bench. But Sunday will be the first grand final in which they start against each other. Little wonder their family and friends plan to go to the SFS and watch.

Daniel admits that he suspects Antonio will be the Halangahu of choice for the day. ''Everyone is going for him. He is due for a win. They think I've had my time winning,'' he said. ''Everyone thinks it's his turn. I don't see it that way. And I'm sure lots of the Uni boys won't.''

While the Students are defending champions and again finished the home and away season in first place, Halangahu is under no false illusion that winning a fifth title is a given.

He was at Woollahra Oval last Sunday to watch Randwick - their losing grand final opponents last year - beat Gordon 53-32 to make Sunday's title decider.

''The way Randwick have been going takes out that [risk of] complacency,'' Daniel said. ''They are playing a lot better than they were 12 months ago. They played some very good footy.

''We still have a lot of improvement. But you have two pretty good sides hitting their straps at the right time of the year. This is probably the best quality grand final I have been involved in.

''Whoever wins, I am sure there will be a slight feeling of happiness for the other. I just hope it is his feeling of happiness for me winning.''

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spor...0924-g2uk.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Antonio should be a little nervous.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.