Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Oz star player for WP

vCash

Oz star player for WP

Cape Town – Western Province have pulled off a coup by securing the services of young Australian flyhalf sensation Matt Toomua for the rest of the Currie Cup.

Toomua made his Super14 debut as an 18-year-old for the Brumbies against the Hurricanes last year.

He played regularly for the Brumbies this year and could be a shock inclusion in WP’s squad for Saturday’s Currie Cup clash against Griquas at Newlands.

Peter Grant is WP’s first choice player at flyhalf, while Conrad Hoffmann is being groomed in the position and will play a club game there this week.

The move to gain the 19-year-olf Toomua’s services in the short term follows after the prognosis on Willem de Waal’s neck injury went from 6 weeks to as many months on the sidelines.

Toomua will provide crucial depth for WP should they pick up further problems at flyhalf. It even provides WP with an opportunity to wrap Grant in cotton wool before an expected semi-final.

On top of that, it shows how serious WP are taking this year’s Currie Cup.

Province have already secured the services of South Africa under-21 flyhalf Lionel Cronjé for next year.

According to the Brumbies’ website, Toomua attended Queensland’s Brisbane State High School, which produced big name players such as Mark Bartholomeusz, Paul Carozza, Peter Slattery and David Wilson.

Toomua captained Queensland at under-16 level and WP are gaining a player with good leadership abilities and an educated boot.
    The Brumbies had so much faith in him that they signed him in 2007 directly after he finished school. He has been included in their Super14 squad for 2010.

Meanwhile, WP are keeping tabs on the weather forecasts before Saturday’s game.

“The prediction earlier this week was that it would rain on Saturday, but now it looks as if we will be missing out on it. We are hoping for dry conditions so that we can play a bit,” said WP forwards coach Matt Proudfoot.

Province will realise the dangers of setting their sights against Griquas too high. Griquas won the clash between the two sides in Kimberley earlier in the campaign

http://www.sport24.co.za/Content/Rug..._player_for_WP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    wow thats great!
    good luck to him

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Matt Toomua is a huge talent... I'm pleased to see him getting more game time before the year is out... Currie cup, I'll be watching...

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    This just highlights the deficiencies of Second grade in Australia when great developing players need to go overseas to play in a higher grade level than anything going on in Australia. Don’t get me wrong the guy will learn heaps whilst playing in a class competition and learning off some very good players and I wish him the best.

Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Matt Toomua is a huge talent... I'm pleased to see him getting more game time before the year is out... Currie cup, I'll be watching...
    Yeah you should be pleased to see him getting game time it will be about all he gets! What will he be third string maybe bench warmer at Real Madrid next year! Shame Shame Shame!!!!!!!

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    I think we'll see a little more of Matt Toomua than that next year in the S14... 10,12 , 11, 14 and 15... He has all the skills...

vCash
    Maybe he can replace Gits

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post
    Maybe he can replace Gits
    That's will be his job... always ready to take the field as flyboy and our next fly... Gits only has 2 years signed with the Brumbies he may move on after the RWC...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    But Toomua himself is up for grabs next year, isn't he?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    He'll probably be eyeing a return to Melbourne for the new S15 team.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Lealiifano is the the one with Melbourne links.... Toomua is a south QLDer kid... They're both a good chance of staying on. Toomua was Shawn McKays flat mate in Canberra who was killed in the terrible road accident in Durban. He has built a strong emotional bond with the Brumbies community. I expect the Brumbies will look after him. Christain Lealiifano has been with the Brumbies academy for some time and also joined very young its become home for both boys. The Brumbies are more than Giteau, his return will strengthen loyalty. Nonetheless I would expect both will be chased by the Melbourne team... perhaps one will be lost...I expect like other Australian provinces the Brumbies will lose a few players to the new team...

I must say I would take Matt Toomua any day over JOC in my squad... This kid is a future Wallabies flyhalf in the making, he has the skills a of a young Dan Carter....

Born in Melbourne, Toomua moved to Brisbane where he played his junior football with Logan City before attending Brisbane State High School. In 2006 he guided the Queensland II side to their maiden Australian National Schools Championship title, scoring all of his side’s points in their 14-13 final win over NSW II in Sydney. Competing against the likes of older flyhalves Kurtley Beale (NSW) and Queensland’s Quade Cooper, Toomua was selected in the Australia A side that defeated the Tongan Under 18’s, 22-18. Two months later, he captained Queensland Red to the finals of the National Under 16 Championship in Sydney.

---------- Post added at 12:38 ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 ----------

Toomua rushed straight into WP squad

Wednesday, September 23

Western Province have rushed new signing Matt Toomua into their matchday 22 as they ready themselves for the crunch match against Griquas at Newlands on Saturday.

With Willem de Waal injured and Peter Grant still learning the ropes at flyhalf the move was made for the young Brumbies player who comes into the side on the bench.

Toomua only arrives in Cape Town tomorrow and will have to play at least a half a game in the next three Western Province game if he is to be eligble for the semi-finals.

As expected Ricky Januarie is named on the bench with Dewaldt Duvenage allowed to continue in the number nine jersey where he has revitalised the backline since taking over from the Springbok reserve scrumhalf.

The biggest news, however, is the return of talismanic hooker Tiaan Liebenberg to the front row. Deon Fourie performed admirably as a replacement in Liebenberg's absence, but Province will welcome back the hard running and bulk of their first choice number two.

De Kock Steenkamp continues in the second row with Martin Muller coming in on the bench to replace Hilton Lobberts who has been loaned out to the Boland Cavaliers.

JC Kritzinger is also a new inclusion on the bench along with Toomua and Muller as he replaces JD Moller on the woodwork.

http://www.sarugby.com/news/News/article/sid=12317.html

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "Oz star player" may be overstating things a little.

Lealiifano will be amongst the first approached for Melbourne, if he hasn't been unofficially approached already.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Player
    vCash
    I actually agree with Mudskipper for once!! Toomua has the most complete game of any of the young fly-halves coming up through the S14 in Oz- very much in the mould of a Dan Carter. So good is he in fact that I predict he will play 10 for the Brumbies next year and push Giteau out to 12 (with Lealiifano perhaps going to 15).

vCash
    Key statement is "comming up through" therefore means is not an established star yet

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyM View Post
    I actually agree with Mudskipper for once!! Toomua has the most complete game of any of the young fly-halves coming up through the S14 in Oz- very much in the mould of a Dan Carter. So good is he in fact that I predict he will play 10 for the Brumbies next year and push Giteau out to 12 (with Lealiifano perhaps going to 15).
    Tommy it could happen...

---------- Post added at 16:26 ---------- Previous post was at 16:25 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Key statement is "comming up through" therefore means is not an established star yet
    Yep he's not a star... just a talented young prospect... all in time if he works hard...

---------- Post added at 16:48 ---------- Previous post was at 16:26 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    "Oz star player" may be overstating things a little.
    Lealiifano will be amongst the first approached for Melbourne, if he hasn't been unofficially approached already.

Lealiifano has had a great off season and French Brumbies tour... He is maturing nicely as a player, I sure Melbourne will be keen to talk to him...

Both times here, he's seen stepping through the oppositions' inside backs...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I'm curious to know Muddy. Where would you prefer Giteau to play for the Wallabies and/or the Brumbies? 10 or 12?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast